Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

boxing myths that needs some correcting...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frankenfrank View Post
    Hearns was stopped enough times to show it , maybe his chin was better than Terry Norris' , but still was fragile , he was hurt even more times than the times he was stopped.
    Hearns was stopped by 3 men Hagler,SRL (both ATGs) and Barklay who just had the Indian sign on him and let's remember knocked out HWs. Sure he was hurt a few times, it's a hurting business and given the level of competition he fought and the length of time he fought at the top for it would be suprising if he didn't get hurt. Sure his chin and stamina wasn't top notch but if they had have been we'd probably be talking about him potentially being the p4p GOAT

Comment

Originally posted by frankenfrank View Post
      Hearns was stopped enough times to show it , maybe his chin was better than Terry Norris' , but still was fragile , he was hurt even more times than the times he was stopped.

Margachito bloodies Cotto like no one else did before or after and was caught and suspended for using loaded gloves , what more do you want ? a time machine and ****m Richardson in Cotto's team ?
      we just have to agree to disagree regarding hearns' "fragile" chin can we?

regarding cotto's bloodied face and all, still aint conclusive enough of a proof for it to graduate from myth to fact if u ask me... sorry man...

Comment

pep winning a round without throwing a single punch? is this true?

Can't say for sure, but if it's true, then **** those judges.

was meldrick taylor really wasted after the chavez fight?

He'd have to have been. He took incredible punishment.

did duran make leonard fight his fight in montreal?

Hell no. Leonard wanted to show he could outrumble Duran. He wisely reconsidered that in their rematch.

did leonard duck pryor?

I wouldn't be too surprised if he had. I would put money on Leonard 10/10 times in that fight, but considering the power and accuracy of Pryor's punches, he might bring back memories of Duran for Ray.

what other myths you have in mind?

Fighters from the past have no chance against fighters from now and vice versa.

Margarito's disastrous outing with Mosley taints the rest of his career for sure.

Comment

Pryor on why he and Leonard didn't fight:

Comment

The myth of the modern titlist. Being a titlist, being the 'man', and being the lineal holder. In today's game, it has become everything to people. It's as important as having the big '0'.

But, just like the big 0, it means absolutely jack ****e. Today, you can be the lineal holder without being the best in the division, you can be the 'man' without being the best in the division and you can get forty titles without ever fighting the man, being lineal, or beating the best.

Classic case in point (I apologise up front JABS as I know you like this guy and any other fans: This is a general dig at the sport through the example of one fighter) is Ricky Hatton: He became the 'man', the lineal champ and a title holder all at the same time with the win over Tszyu. Great win and very deserving.

However, over the next five years he fought only six fights at 140. He moved up and captured a title at 147 one fight after Tszyu and was knocked out two fights after that. Now, before going on I would say that if you move up to fight bigger fights without taking care of business at the weight you are the man at (ie. fighting the other titlists) and then get knocked out too, you do not hold the title of lineal, the 'man', etc anymore.

Anyway, this particular case annoys me a bit because it's so indicative of boxing today. Over the five years that Hatton was considered the man and the lineal champion, he fought one other titlist. Just one and that man was Carlos Maussa. That's right, Carlos Maussa. Again, here, people have to remember that there are many different governing bodies with their own little systems of ranking. Back when this stuff mattered, there was only one top ten. Of all the people He fought over those five years, only three were ranked in the top ten and only one in the top five. None, apart from Maussa was a champion.

Castillo, after beating N'Dou I think was thrown into the number one spot at 140. Go figure that one out. Anyway, the other guys at 140 who were ranked in the top ten were generally; Witter, Mayweather, Cotto, Harris, Corley, Bradley, Kotelnik, Holt, Torres, Malignaggi, M'Baye etc. That was a general breakdown of the top usual ten plus/minus the obvious wins and losses/ins and outs.

Now, with two fights out of 140, one of those being a KO loss and only one fight at 140 (which also happened the be the one right after Tszyu) being against another titlist (who was only briefly ranked at the lower part of the top ten for that win over Harris) how does one stay the man and lineal champ?

In the past, being the lineal champ meant you had no choice in the matter but to fight the very best in the division if you wanted to keep that distinction. For Hatton this would have meant none of the fights he did take, unless they were stay busy non title fights. To keep his lineal title he would have had to fight Mayweather, Witter, Bradley, Harris, M'Baye etc etc etc.

Instead he was called the best in the division and the lineal champ for five years while fighting Maussa, Castillo, Lazcano, Urango, and Malignaggi in between fights at 147 with Collazo and the KO loss to Mayweather. None of the 140 fights were against the number one ranked fighter or another champion apart from Maussa.

This is what happens throughout the sport now, and we place even more importance on being lineal, and being the best and yet, none of it means jack because no one knows and you can stay the lineal champ without being one. I think from 2008, I would have had to consider Tim Bradley the true guy in the division and before that surprisingly, it was Witter that was beating the top guys. Corley, Kotelnik, Harris, N'Dou, were the guys he had beaten over the same time before losing to Bradley in 08.

Anyway, I for one am tired of hearing about the myth of the lineal champ, the titlist and the 'man' of a division. Unless you are the Undisputed champ, beat the number one, two and three guys or the obvious best titlist or titlists, you are nothing but another guy at the top, nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
              you dont know how to score a fight bro.

a fight is scored on four criterias:

- clean effective punching
              - effective aggression
              - ring generalship
              - defense

if his oponent didnt land any shots or was effectively aggressive pep could win the round based on ring generalship and defense.
              you have got to be kidding,this criteria does not meet my observation of the fact that a fighter won a round without throwing a punch,i find it highly impossible,these men are light they throw lots of piunches and for one not to land at least one,no way,total myth

Comment

The myth that the p4p term was created for Ray Robinson, when it was actually being used for Bob Fitzsimmons and Tony Canzoneri way before Ray was even on the scene.

Comment

Obviously Lennox's weak chin is the biggest myth in the history of the sport.

Against Rahman, Lennox was fighting at 6000 feet above sea level and hadnt trained a single day in those conditions. Google the effects of high altitude...

Against Mccall, Lennox ran into a perfect shot and still made the count but the corrupt Don King ref called the fight.

Other than those two instances, Lennox has remained vertical throughout his career absorbiing bombs by Superheavyweights and never going down. Wlad, Joe Louis, Frazier Ali and Foreman have all been down more times than Lennox. Id say Lennox's chin is around Average, not weak...

Comment

Originally posted by prinzemanspopa View Post
                    Clearly you're on a piss-take at the moment.This is the only thing that can be explained for this ridiculous post.

Go back to sherdog.
                    No thanks. Too much anger and name calling there. You'd probably fit right in though.

Comment

Originally posted by prinzemanspopa View Post
                      Do tell us of the WBC title fights that were going more than twelve rounds at that time,I'd love to heard of them.
                      I don't know and could be mistaken if they were even still taking place. But don't you think it was an advantage for Leonard to wait till Hagler was on the slide and also have a 12 round distance? Why didn't he fight them when they were both prime at a 15 round distance? Most would agree the outcome would have likely been different.

Leonard also held advantages of being a smaller man and having fought just ten rounds in five years also,huh?
                      Leonard being the smaller man is definitely a myth that needs correcting. I know for a fact that Hagler was no more than 5'7" and a half with Leonard being almost 5'10" Leonard was clearly faster of hand and foot and has admitted MANY time to waiting to catch Hagler at the right moment. Combine those with the gloves and the ring and those are advantages.
                      Clearly you're on a piss-take at the moment.This is the only thing that can be explained for this ridiculous post.

Go back to sherdog.

An unwanted poster telling someone else to leave this site.....what a hoot!!

Comment

Working...
                      X