Lennox Lewis - Never beat an in-prime top-15 ATG Heavyweight
    Vitali Klitschko - Never beat a top-15 ATG Heavyweight
    Wladimir Klitschko - Never beat a top-15 ATG Heavyweight

Ezzard Charles - Beat ONE in-prime top-15 ATG Heavyweight
    Joe Walcott - Beat ONE in-prime top-15 ATG Heavyweight
    George Foreman - Beat ONE in-prime top-15 ATG Heavyweight
    Evander Holyfield - Beat ONE in-prime top-15 ATG Heavyweight
    Riddick Bowe - Beat ONE in-prime top-15 ATG Heavyweight

For the record, it's RARE for there to be two or more in-prime top-15 ATG Heavyweights to be active AT THE SAME TIME.

Originally posted by capt_sam View Post
    For the record:

Ali - Ali by UD or TKO.
    Foreman - Foreman by KO
    Liston - Pick Em. Favouring Liston
    Lewis - Pick Em, favouring Louis. (Power v bad chin, but works either way)
    Frazier - Pick Em. Joe has a better chin. Someone's getting sparked.
    Tyson - Tyson sparks him, early.
    Johnson - Louis
    Tunney - Louis
    Dempsey - Louis
    I notice a trend here: The more recent the fighter the more likely you are to have them beating Louis. A bias toward "modern" fighters maybe?

Poet
    Last edited by StarshipTrooper; 04-19-2010, 02:33 PM.

Comment

"Lennox Lewis - Never beat an in-prime top-15 ATG Heavyweight" - Poet

I get your point and agree with it.

...although Lennox beat a prime or very near prime Holyfield in 99. A lot of people put Holyfield in their ATG Top 10. He was 36, had beaten Tyson a couple years prior, was Undisputed Heavyweight Champion and ranked P4P Number 3 at the time.

Then there's Klitschko, who may go down as a top 15/top 20 HW. Lewis was past prime when he faced him and did struggle early on, but deserves credit for a) taking that fight and b) getting back in to it and winning it. It's very rare an older champion faces the young prime contender and comes out well.

Comment

Originally posted by Shazam! View Post
        "Lennox Lewis - Never beat an in-prime top-15 ATG Heavyweight" - Poet

I get your point and agree with it.

...although Lennox beat a prime or very near prime Holyfield in 99. A lot of people put Holyfield in their ATG Top 10. He was 36, had beaten Tyson a couple years prior, was Undisputed Heavyweight Champion and ranked P4P Number 3 at the time.

Then there's Klitschko, who may go down as a top 15/top 20 HW. Lewis was past prime when he faced him and did struggle early on, but deserves credit for a) taking that fight and b) getting back in to it and winning it. It's very rare an older champion faces the young prime contender and comes out well.
        While agree that Lewis deserves some credit for the wins, I think it's pretty well agreed that Holyfield had been past it since before the Tyson fights. Good wins for Lewis? Yes. Wins over a prime Holyfield? No. The same with Klitscho: A good win over a good fighter yes. The problem is I'm not yet ready to rank Vitali in the top-15 all-time. Maybe when all is said and done he'll be there, maybe not. Stay stuned

Poet

Comment

When I watch that version of Holyfield 'past-it' is the last thing I think. But we'll agree to disagree I guess

Comment

Originally posted by boxingbuff View Post
            Joe Louis vs these fighters....Who do you have winning.

Muhammad Ali
            George Forman
            Sonny Liston
            Lennox Lewis
            Joe Frazier
            Mike Tyson
            Jack Johnson(197lbs)
            Gene Tunney
            Jack Dempsey
            Ali UD15 Louis
            Foreman KO4 Louis
            Liston vs. Louis - don't know
            Lewis UD12 Louis
            Frazier TKO10 Louis
            Tyson KO1 Louis
            Louis TKO12 Johnson
            Louis KO10 Tunney
            Louis KO10 Dempsey

Comment

It looks like most posters have Joe Louis being beat by several fighters.
              moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

Muhammad Ali = Ali
                George Forman = could go either way
                Sonny Liston = Louis
                Lennox Lewis = Louis
                Joe Frazier = Louis
                Mike Tyson = Tyson

Jack Johnson(197lbs)
                Gene Tunney Havent seen enough of these three to make a prediction.
                Jack Dempsey

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                  Jack Johnson - Never beat an in-prime top-15 ATG Heavyweight
                  Jack Dempsey - Never beat a top-15 ATG Heavyweight
                  Gene Tunney - Never beat an in-prime top-15 ATG Heavyweight
                  Rocky Marciano - Never beat an in-prime top-15 ATG Heavyweight
                  Sonny Liston - Never beat a top-15 ATG Heavyweight
                  Joe Frazier - Never beat an in-prime top-15 ATG Heavyweight
                  Larry Holmes - Never beat an in-prime top-15 ATG Heavyweight
                  Mike Tyson - Never beat an in-prime top-15 ATG Heavyweight
                  Lennox Lewis - Never beat an in-prime top-15 ATG Heavyweight
                  Vitali Klitschko - Never beat a top-15 ATG Heavyweight
                  Wladimir Klitschko - Never beat a top-15 ATG Heavyweight

Ezzard Charles - Beat ONE in-prime top-15 ATG Heavyweight
                  Joe Walcott - Beat ONE in-prime top-15 ATG Heavyweight
                  George Foreman - Beat ONE in-prime top-15 ATG Heavyweight
                  Evander Holyfield - Beat ONE in-prime top-15 ATG Heavyweight
                  Riddick Bowe - Beat ONE in-prime top-15 ATG Heavyweight

For the record, it's RARE for there to be two or more in-prime top-15 ATG Heavyweights to be active AT THE SAME TIME.

I notice a trend here: The more recent the fighter the more likely you are to have them beating Louis. A bias toward "modern" fighters maybe?

Poet
                  Hey man,

Sup?

There is a difference between never beating a top 15 HW and never beating one in their prime. Louis never beat one, unless I am missing something. Tyson, Holmes, Lewis, Joe..all have wins over great fighters at some point.

Its not a new/old divide, I just feel those guys are stylistically suited to beating him. In overall achievements, Joe Louis ranks way up there #2 or so, but in head to heads, slow feet and a poor chin mean many guys have a shot.

Do you really see him beating a Holmes or an Ali with his robotic movement and B grade chin?

He was a great champ, but his weaknesses are sufficient enough where a half dozen or so guys can beat him.

Comment

Hey man,

Sup?

There is a difference between never beating a top 15 HW and never beating one in their prime. Louis never beat one, unless I am missing something. Tyson, Holmes, Lewis, Joe..all have wins over great fighters at some point.
                    From my perspective beating a past prime ATG is no different from not fighting one at all. Past-prime fighters, whether they're ATG or not, are SUPPOSED to lose to top opponents so it's no great accomplishment. Just having the name on one's resume is meaningless: It's when you fight them that counts. Otherwise it's just another name. That's why Holmes gets no credit for beating Ali, Marciano gets no credit for beating Louis, and Lennox gets no credit for beating Tyson: They didn't fight the prime version of those fighters so it's no different than beating any run of the mill opponent.

Its not a new/old divide, I just feel those guys are stylistically suited to beating him. In overall achievements, Joe Louis ranks way up there #2 or so, but in head to heads, slow feet and a poor chin mean many guys have a shot.

Do you really see him beating a Holmes or an Ali with his robotic movement and B grade chin?

He was a great champ, but his weaknesses are sufficient enough where a half dozen or so guys can beat him.
                    I think you're underestimating Louis' chin here. The only fighter who dropped Louis that wasn't a power puncher was Braddock and even that was the type of flash knockdown that could happen to anybody. And none of those fighters were able to KO Louis in his prime. I also think you're misunderstanding Louis' footwork: His ring movement was a calculated tactic just as Larry Holmes' was. In the case of both fighters it was designed to take advantage of the respective fighter's individual strengths. Just because a fighter isn't a slick dancer doesn't mean he has bad footwork! Those slick dancers use a particular type of footwork to take advantage of their own peculiar strengths.

Poet

Comment

Hey man,

Sup?

it's so hard for me to pick Louis over many on that list of Hw's. They were all so good and a great deal of them IMO beat and even stop Louis. The men that put Louis down were smaller men who didn't have near the same punching power as guys like Foreman, Tyson and Liston.

I was going to pick Louis over Frazier, but then I kept getting flashes at what Joe's lighting fast left hook would have done to Louis, and how many times he probably would have made Louis hit the canvas. If Louis beat any elites in his day I might have a better grasp - but his best wins are over guys like Schmelling who fight like amatuers at best. His ATG status is based off of his long, long career run. It doesn't help in h2h matchups.

Comment

Working...
                      X