Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does Joe Louis do against these fighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by crold1 View Post
    Which win put Vitali over Ali? Was it Hide or Donald? Sanders?

LMAO
    He puts them on a scale: The higher they weigh, the higher he ranks them

Poet
    Last edited by StarshipTrooper; 02-12-2010, 09:38 AM.

Comment

• all 3 get knocked out in less than 10

Comment

• Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
        Louis was a great boxer as well. He could outpoint you as well as knock you out. If he knew the knockout wasn't coming, he'd simply outpoint you with the jab.
        and all of tua's KO victims never heard about the jab.
        ruiz and moorer should learn more about it

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
        He didn't always catch you which is why he never held a version of the world title.
        a version of the title means **** , he destroyed 3 fighters who held a version of it , one of them was even the linear holder.
        two of them he destroyed quickly with ease but the bottom line is "destroyed".

Louis was 6'2 with a 76 inch reach and at his peak weighed 208 pounds.
        so ? you brought it to emphasize my claim of how cruiserweight he was ?

A feather-fisted fighter was able to hurt Tua to the body, imagine if it was Joe Louis dealing out those blows:
        you exaggerate.

Oquendo and Maskaev weren't great fighters though, yet they were able to outbox Tua in every round. Tua was just not a good boxer at all, he was just a puncher.
        that's because of their huge height and reach advantages over him , and still he destroyed both and others with that same advantage.

Norris was pretty good but he was also small. To you size seems to be everything.
        not everything but many times it is a critical factor.

McCall weighed as much as 250 pounds. Williamson usually fought at 210 pounds. Size doesn't always matter.
        fat is not big. muscular is big.
        and yes , mccall was also more muscular than williamson at that time but by a much smaller margin than the 250 to 210.
        fat doesn't help you that much.

McCall took Buster Douglas the distance and lost. So what, a lot of people took Buster Douglas the distance, and the really good fighters outside of Tyson beat him. Why would you praise a fighter for losing?
        as long as it is by lasting the distance it is much more forgiven than , say , losing by stoppage.
        Oliver was a one trick pony because all of his wins were with the counter right hand, usually when he was losing. If he didn't catch you with it, he couldn't win. He was not an all-around boxer by any means, just a tough guy with a good right hand.
        i do not say that he is the greatest of all time , just that whatever he was , was more than joe louis , had they fought 3 times you'd see mccall getting the better of the affair.

But Povetkin is not even a big puncher. Byrd is a small guy yet he has been competitive in this era. This works against your argument that the fighters of the past couldn't compete today because they were too small. Numerous fighters who are "too small" compete today. Eddie Chambers is top 5 and he weighs 209 lbs.
        you will get the answer when his fight with wlad will end.
        if he really is a top5 , it is more of an evidence about the ranking entity and the current weakness at 201+.

Louis was 21 years old when he fought Schmeling, was David Tua in his prime when he was KO'd in one round by Felix Savon?
        tua was 19 then and savon was much much taller than him and also with much much more experience.
        louis was 21 against a smaller opponent than himself.
        and i really do not care if he was 3 lbs heavier , because he still was bigger than schmelling.
        21 is not 19 , it is growth time and critical difference.
        Schmeling was still a very good fighter by the time of the rematch. He scored an impressive one round KO over Heuser after the loss to Louis.
        whose dat heuser ? why should i care ?
        schmelling was maybe still good but damaged goods by that time.
        this sport is harmful.

Comment

• Frankenfrank are you making a funny about David Tua beating Joe Louis. David Tua could punch and take a punch true, but he had next to no boxing skill. If blown-up super middleweight such as Chris Byrd could beat him , clearly Joe Louis would either put him too sleep like a rabid dog or decision him in a fashion more one sided than this argument.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeepSleep View Post
            Frankenfrank are you making a funny about David Tua beating Joe Louis. David Tua could punch and take a punch true, but he had next to no boxing skill. If blown-up super middleweight such as Chris Byrd could beat him , clearly Joe Louis would either put him too sleep like a rabid dog or decision him in a fashion more one sided than this argument.
            if tua could punch and take a punch , 2 big understatements , then how could louis put him to sleep ?the only one going to sleep is louis.
            tua could be outboxed because he is a midget. how do you expect a midget to outbox someone 6" taller than him with an arm length bigger at least 3" than himself who can move as well ? he can't outbox elite fighters but he can KO them which is even better. louis would have also lost to lesser fighters of our era (of course just to the best (of our era)).
            the ibeabuchi and byrd fights should have been ruled as draws.
            the lewis fight was closer than the belief here , but how could a little midget either outbox or KO a big experienced and skilled hw such as lewis ?
            the klitschkos and lewis are the top3 in my list because very few fighters ever could beat them , true wlad could be stopped by many but the opposite is the more realistic choice every time.
            i rank on h2h basis. what can i do about the fact that height is a critical factor ? valuev is not on my top10 because for some reason , he did not achieve too much. but the rest did.

Comment

• Originally posted by frankenfrank View Post
              and all of tua's KO victims never heard about the jab.
              ruiz and moorer should learn more about it
              You're right, Moorer and Ruiz didn't use the jab against Tua. The fighters who did use the jab were usually outpointing him in every round unless they lost focus and got caught.

a version of the title means **** , he destroyed 3 fighters who held a version of it , one of them was even the linear holder.
              two of them he destroyed quickly with ease but the bottom line is "destroyed".
              It does mean something. Just about everyone worth anything has won a version of the title today yet David Tua couldn't. That speaks volumes about his ability, or the lack of it.

so ? you brought it to emphasize my claim of how cruiserweight he was ?
              Fighters that Tua struggled with/lost to were the same size.

you exaggerate.
              I think everyone can decide for themselves.

that's because of their huge height and reach advantages over him , and still he destroyed both and others with that same advantage.
              Louis is as tall and as Oquendo and Maskaev and has a longer reach than Oleg, but he didn't get KO'd in every other fight of his like Maskaev did.

not everything but many times it is a critical factor.
              Not against Tua who is a slow, short plodding fighter. Not exactly a Lennox Lewis.

fat is not big. muscular is big.
              and yes , mccall was also more muscular than williamson at that time but by a much smaller margin than the 250 to 210.
              fat doesn't help you that much.
              I've never seen McCall look "fat". He was bigger than Williamson but lost. He's also bigger than Louis but would lose.

as long as it is by lasting the distance it is much more forgiven than , say , losing by stoppage.
              You still lose. And McCall lost a lot.

i do not say that he is the greatest of all time , just that whatever he was , was more than joe louis , had they fought 3 times you'd see mccall getting the better of the affair.
              McCall was no Joe Louis and would have lost to Louis just like he did to almost everyone who was half-decent. He upset Lennox Lewis once and cried his way out of the rematch. He was basically a lesser Buster Douglas, who was another fighter that beat him among many.

you will get the answer when his fight with wlad will end.
              if he really is a top5 , it is more of an evidence about the ranking entity and the current weakness at 201+.
              He'll lose to Wladimir because he is not as good as Wladimir. He could be 6'5, 250 lbs and he'd still lose. The same reason why Louis would beat the likes of McCall, Tua. They might have a weight advantage over him but they just aren't that good. Size matters when the two fighters are equally as good which is not the case here.

Evander Holyfield weighed 205 when he was the champion in the 90's, Moorer was a former light heavyweight, Byrd claimed he often weighed well below the cruiserweight limit. Not to mention Roy Jones and James Toney, or David Haye.

In that case every era is weak because cruiserweight-sized boxers have always competed at heavyweight. Cruiserweight is a bogus division that no one cares about.

tua was 19 then and savon was much much taller than him and also with much much more experience.
              louis was 21 against a smaller opponent than himself.
              and i really do not care if he was 3 lbs heavier , because he still was bigger than schmelling.
              21 is not 19 , it is growth time and critical difference.
              And David Tua at 21 was weighing around 200-210 pounds. Is he any bigger than Louis or did he just put on fat that doesn't help anything like you said?

whose dat heuser ? why should i care ?
              schmelling was maybe still good but damaged goods by that time.
              this sport is harmful.
              Where's the proof that he was damaged goods? Because Louis beat him? Schmeling look good in his fights immediately before and after the Louis fight. He would have continued fighting if not for the Second World War.
              Last edited by TheGreatA; 02-16-2010, 03:44 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by frankenfrank View Post
                if tua could punch and take a punch , 2 big understatements , then how could louis put him to sleep ?the only one going to sleep is louis.
                tua could be outboxed because he is a midget. how do you expect a midget to outbox someone 6" taller than him with an arm length bigger at least 3" than himself who can move as well ? he can't outbox elite fighters but he can KO them which is even better. louis would have also lost to lesser fighters of our era (of course just to the best (of our era)).
                the ibeabuchi and byrd fights should have been ruled as draws.
                the lewis fight was closer than the belief here , but how could a little midget either outbox or KO a big experienced and skilled hw such as lewis ?
                the klitschkos and lewis are the top3 in my list because very few fighters ever could beat them , true wlad could be stopped by many but the opposite is the more realistic choice every time.
                i rank on h2h basis. what can i do about the fact that height is a critical factor ? valuev is not on my top10 because for some reason , he did not achieve too much. but the rest did.
                Tua never fought anyone like Louis. He would be getting hit by punches thrown harder than Ibeabuchi's, more accurately and faster than Chris Byrd. With Tua's lack of defense even his chin would break.

He lost the Byrd fight clearly hence he didn't get a draw. The Ike fight was close but most fans will agree that Ike deserved the nod not a draw.

If you thought the Lewis fight was close I can't help you as Lewis won that very convincingly. Tua was taken apart and given a very one sided UD.

Height isn't all that important without reach. You rate Wlad and Vitali highly even though Ali and Holmes have the same reach and have significantly better boxing skill and talent.

Tua would get beat by Joe Louis just like every other slugger Joe Louis beat did. He doesn't bring anything to the table that Louis hasn't already fought against and beaten.
                Last edited by DeepSleep; 02-16-2010, 03:56 AM.

Comment

Louis was in his prime from 1938 to 1942 when he went to the war. No one is going to be the same after 4 years away from Boxing.
                  eh 96 expos isnt really 4 years away from boxing. though i would say that 96 expos would probably be even more detrimental to ones prime then just quitting for 4 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Shen View Post
                    eh 96 expos isnt really 4 years away from boxing. though i would say that 96 expos would probably be even more detrimental to ones prime then just quitting for 4 years.
                    He had boxing exhibitions against some local soldiers who could hardly box. That doesn't count as anything other than maybe sparring experience.

When Louis came back, he wasn't the same man. That's my point. There is a huge difference between the Louis who fought Buddy Baer and Abe Simon in rematches and the Louis who fought Billy Conn in a rematch. The peak Louis of 1942 looks sharp, accurate and fast with his hands. The older Louis of 1946 looks slower, less accurate and can't pull the trigger & use combinations like he used to. He did get rid of Conn but that's because Conn was even more shot than he was.

Comment

He had boxing exhibitions against some local soldiers who could hardly box. That doesn't count as anything other than maybe sparring experience.

When Louis came back, he wasn't the same man. That's my point. There is a huge difference between the Louis who fought Buddy Baer and Abe Simon in rematches and the Louis who fought Billy Conn in a rematch. The peak Louis of 1942 looks sharp, accurate and fast with his hands. The older Louis of 1946 looks slower, less accurate and can't pull the trigger & use combinations like he used to. He did get rid of Conn but that's because Conn was even more shot than he was.
                      well yeah thats what i was saying fighting 96 times against people that arnt going to take advantage of your mistakes and dont hurt as much when they hit is going to make you feel comfortable like you can slack off all the time.

Comment

Working...
                      X