Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does Joe Louis do against these fighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does Joe Louis do against these fighters?

How does he do against these fighters:

Goerge Foreman
    Mike Tyson
    Sonny Liston

Originally posted by J23 View Post

Goerge Foreman
    Mike Tyson
    Sonny Liston
    I like Louis to beat all 3, though I would give Tyson a very good chance to stop him in the first 5 round. If that didn't happen Louis would beat him up and possibly stop him late. Foreman was powerful but gassed quickly and thru wide punches which Louis would capitalize on and counter. Louis in 8. Liston was powerful with a great jab but I just think Louis is the superior fighter. Sonny was a bit plodding and very predictable in the ring. Joe would taste the canvas in this one Im sure, but he'd come back and win a decision.

Comment

Originally posted by J23 View Post

Goerge Foreman
      Mike Tyson
      Sonny Liston
      Louis and George could go either way. Depends on who has a better night. If it goes into later rounds I give it to Louis. If it ends early, George wins.

Tyson is a more skilled, stronger, better puncher. Tyson wins every time, outside of a fluke night.

Sonny Liston and Louis would be an awesome fight and could go either way, depending on who has the better night. Probably go down to a SD every time.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
        Louis and George could go either way. Depends on who has a better night. If it goes into later rounds I give it to Louis. If it ends early, George wins.

Tyson is a more skilled, stronger, better puncher. Tyson wins every time, outside of a fluke night.

Sonny Liston and Louis would be an awesome fight and could go either way, depending on who has the better night. Probably go down to a SD every time.

I respect your opinions of the outcome of the fights but I disagree that Tyson was more skilled or a better puncher than Louis. Joe's punches were pin point accurate and he was almost always in position to throw his next combination. And I don't think there is ANY heavyweight who was as skilled as Louis. Tyson did a few thing better than Louis, but Louis did almost everything better than Mike, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

I respect your opinions of the outcome of the fights but I disagree that Tyson was more skilled or a better puncher than Louis. Joe's punches were pin point accurate and he was almost always in position to throw his next combination. And I don't think there is ANY heavyweight who was as skilled as Louis. Tyson did a few thing better than Louis, but Louis did almost everything better than Mike, in my opinion.
          I haven't watched all of Louis' fights, but from the fights that I have seen, it's apparent that he's never fought anybody on Mike's level, aside from Marciano (who was shy of Mike's talent). Mike was the most dangerous kind of fighter - an ultra evasive, quick handed combo puncher with tons of power in both hands that knew how to get inside and "open up like a son of a *****" and on top of being the most dangerous type, he was the most skilled at being the type of fighter he was, not to mention a great chin and the ability to go 10 rounds with guys that weighed 30 lb's more than he.

I'm not saying Louis wasn't great, but boxing changed a lot from the time Louis fought to when Mike was fighting, and I just don't see how judging from the style of these guys and watching them on film, anybody could believe that Louis could beat Tyson. I just don't see it happening.

I feel like Tyson in his prime was in a league all his own - a phenom that the world had never seen anything close to.

I just don't know that Louis, as quick and accurate as he was, would have the ability to hit Mike enough to hurt him, and I doubt that Louis would be able to dodge or take Mike's punches for more than 6 rounds.

Unless there is something on film that we can see that shows otherwise.
          moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

I like Louis to beat all 3, though I would give Tyson a very good chance to stop him in the first 5 round. If that didn't happen Louis would beat him up and possibly stop him late. Foreman was powerful but gassed quickly and thru wide punches which Louis would capitalize on and counter. Louis in 8. Liston was powerful with a great jab but I just think Louis is the superior fighter. Sonny was a bit plodding and very predictable in the ring. Joe would taste the canvas in this one Im sure, but he'd come back and win a decision.
            Couldn't put it better myself..

Comment

I haven't watched all of Louis' fights, but from the fights that I have seen, it's apparent that he's never fought anybody on Mike's level, aside from Marciano (who was shy of Mike's talent). Mike was the most dangerous kind of fighter - an ultra evasive, quick handed combo puncher with tons of power in both hands that knew how to get inside and "open up like a son of a *****" and on top of being the most dangerous type, he was the most skilled at being the type of fighter he was, not to mention a great chin and the ability to go 10 rounds with guys that weighed 30 lb's more than he.
              Let me ask you something. Who on Mikes resume is as skilled or as good a puncher as a prime Louis? It works both ways. Louis was also adapt at fighting guys much bigger than himself. He also showed a mental fortitude Tyson never had. When to going got tough Mike didn't do so well. That is a fact.

I'm not saying Louis wasn't great, but boxing changed a lot from the time Louis fought to when Mike was fighting, and I just don't see how judging from the style of these guys and watching them on film, anybody could believe that Louis could beat Tyson. I just don't see it happening.

Boxing did change a lot. Fighters got slower more spoiled, threw less punches and had a hard time going less rounds.

I feel like Tyson in his prime was in a league all his own - a phenom that the world had never seen anything close to.
              Dude, he lost to Buster Douglas.

I just don't know that Louis, as quick and accurate as he was, would have the ability to hit Mike enough to hurt him, and I doubt that Louis would be able to dodge or take Mike's punches for more than 6 rounds.

If Mike can't take him out early he's in serious trouble. Louis had 11 ko's after 7 rounds or more. Mike had 1. If Tyson couldn't take you out he got frustrated.

I won't say Tyson CAN'T beat Louis, but there is certainly enough video evidence to suggest a win for Louis.

Comment

Quote:
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by CarlosG815 View Post

Let me ask you something.

Who on Mikes resume is as skilled or as good a puncher as a prime Louis? It works both ways. Louis was also adapt at fighting guys much bigger than himself. He also showed a mental fortitude Tyson never had. When to going got tough Mike didn't do so well. That is a fact.

Quote:

Boxing did change a lot. Fighters got slower more spoiled, threw less punches and had a hard time going less rounds.

Quote:
                Dude, he lost to Buster Douglas.

Quote:

If Mike can't take him out early he's in serious trouble. Louis had 11 ko's after 7 rounds or more. Mike had 1. If Tyson couldn't take you out he got frustrated.

Quote:

I won't say Tyson CAN'T beat Louis, but there is certainly enough video evidence to suggest a win for Louis.
                If you believe Tyson was in his prime at the time he fought Douglas, you're mistaken. It's common knowledge that he was distracted by a lot of things outside of boxing, and wasn't focused or conditioned. He thought he would KO Douglas in 5 rounds or less so that's all he was prepared for. Douglas 9 out of 10 times does not beat Tyson in his '90 condition, and Douglas loses 10/10 to a prime Tyson.

Mike had no problem going the distance. Only 2 fighters up until the time he went to Prison took him PAST 7 rounds, and yeah, he KO'd one, and Tucker went to a UD. Good observation, but it doesn't help your case when only 2 guys took him to that point.

edit: I actually just looked up Tyson's record and 4 guys took him the distance. My bad.
                Last edited by CarlosG815; 02-03-2010, 11:53 PM.
                moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

I was going to respond, but you already wrote exactly what I was planning to add.

Comment

If you believe Tyson was in his prime at the time he fought Douglas, you're mistaken. It's common knowledge that he was distracted by a lot of things outside of boxing, and wasn't focused or conditioned.
                    He was champion for 3 years and 23 years old. I would call that prime. If he wasn't focussed on the fight that just shows he was a mentally weak champion. Louis lost to Schmelling before becoming champ because of these same reasons but never made that mistake again. Tyson knew what he had to do to prepare for this fight but choose not to. That is a mental weakness no champion should have.

He thought he would KO Douglas in 5 rounds or less so that's all he was prepared for. Douglas 9 out of 10 times does not beat Tyson in his '90 condition, and Douglas loses 10/10 to a prime Tyson.
                    Who's fault is that? He was still in his prime and he should have known better if you really want to stick with that line of reasoning.

Douglas is batting .1000 against Tyson, nothing can change that. Truth be told, I don't think any version of Tyson beats the version of Douglas who showed up in Tokyo that night. Right from the start he was focussed and unafraid.

Mike had no problem going the distance. Only 2 fighters up until the time he went to Prison took him PAST 7 rounds, and yeah, he KO'd one, and Tucker went to a UD. Good observation, but it doesn't help your case when only 2 guys took him to that point.

edit: I actually just looked up Tyson's record and 4 guys took him the distance. My bad.

What happened when guys didn't crumble under his power or reputation? He looked pretty ordinary and wasn't the same fighter who came out with guns blazing for the first 3 or 4 rounds. Ruddock, Smith, Tucker, Ribalta, Ruddock, Green and especially Tillis all proved this. None of them were nearly as talented or powerful as Joe Louis

By the way, thats 7.

Comment

Working...
                    X