Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best boxing book you've ever read?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best boxing book you've ever read?

In your opinion, what is the best, or your favorite boxing book? Can be biographical, autobiography even fiction.

Mine is "Barney Ross: life of a ***ish fighter" by Douglas Century. This book grabbed my attention in its detail not only about Ross fights, but his growing up in a ***ish getting, the murder of his father, his heroism in WWII, and addictions to pain killers after be wounded in combat. If you haven't read it, it's worth getting.

Originally posted by Ivich

Thanks for the heads up!
    Fiction .The Professional by W C Heinz and Fifty Grand by Ernest Hemingway.

Factual . Adam Pollack's biographies of the heavyweight champions .

Clay Moyle's biography of Sam Langford.

George Kimball's books.

Hugh McIllvanney's books .

Springs Toledo's books.

Jerry Izenberg's books.
    I to loved Moyles book on Langford. Right no I'm re-reading the Joe Gans biography by Ay**** and Scott.

Comment

The late Jim Brady.

Boxing Confidential: Power, Corruption And The Richest Prize In Sport is a must.

image.png
      JAB5239 JAB5239 likes this.

Comment

- - Bare Fists by Bob Mee gives a rip roaring history of modern prize fighting resurrected in 1700s England into the 1800s.

You don't belong on this forum if you ain't read it...
        md18052598839.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Ivich

Haven't read the Gans one ,but I have seen his statue in MSG .
          I didn't know he had a statue there. I've never been unbelievably. I was supposed to go to the Toney vs Ruiz heavyweight title way back when but missed my train to New York. My cousin was passed since he bought the tickets.

Comment

I had a Queenie level of hate for Larry Holmes before I read his book against the odd with Phil Berger. What a great book that truly showed a different side to Holmes and his career.
            Willow The Wisp Willow The Wisp likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              I had a Queenie level of hate for Larry Holmes before I read his book against the odd with Phil Berger. What a great book that truly showed a different side to Holmes and his career.
              - - I luv Lar who used to be skinny but goes around 350 now. Like I luv my punching bags guaranteed to give me a good workout.

Comment

See Jab's quote? That's an example of why Ivich's banning matters. How many of his posts were deleted? How much information lost? Without that quote how many books are mentioned in this thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
                  See Jab's quote? That's an example of why Ivich's banning matters. How many of his posts were deleted? How much information lost? Without that quote how many books are mentioned in this thread?
                  They don't just want certain people out of the building, our hosts want them expunged from the record.

Comment

The Black Lights Inside the World of Professional Boxing. It’s been over 25 years since I read it but I remember it being really good. It’s about Billy Costello who fought in the early 80’s.

But what I thought really made it good was how it showed the behind the scenes stuff that happens in boxing. Sit downs with Don King about money. How Arum can screw fans and fighters over etc.. Just a lot of the things casual fans might not think about when it comes to boxing.
                    JAB5239 JAB5239 likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X