No announcement yet.

Sonny Liston vs Marciano resume comparison

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ivich View Post

Don Turner, Evander Holyfield’s trainer, rejected having cut man Ace Marotta in Holyfield’s corner for last Friday night’s heavyweight championship fight against Michael Moorer.

“Cut men are the biggest scam in boxing,” Turner told Ron Borges of the Boston Globe. “These guys fly in and they eat like they’re going to the electric chair and you know what? The fighter pays.”

As it turned out, Holyfield suffered a deep cut over his left eye in the second round and, without an established cut man, bled much of the rest of the fight. Also, much of Turner’s time between rounds was spent working on the cut instead of advising Holyfield, who lost a majority decision.
    I don't call that brilliant training.
    Man, I've got to stay out of the Marciano threads for a while: They're starting to make my head hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Willow The Wisp View Post
      Eddie Machen, Zora Foley, Cleveland Williams and Nino Valdez, who never wore a title belt, were all vastly better fighters than the majority of non-lineal title holders in history. 4 of the best heavyweights who never won the title.
      - Not a single one would be a heavy contender, though Machen and Foley might possibly be cruiser contenders, but top modern weight draining cruisers run around 220 on fight night, so I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Defecator View Post

Man, I've got to stay out of the Marciano threads for a while: They're starting to make my head hurt
        He is easily the most divisive figure of the heavyweight champions.
        The Defecator The Defecator likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- Not a single one would be a heavy contender, though Machen and Foley might possibly be cruiser contenders, but top modern weight draining cruisers run around 220 on fight night, so I doubt it.
          Heavyweight standards over time unique, a moving target, sure. A good little man beating a less good bigger man would have to apply. Klitschko brothers a good example of the latter.

Comment

Its all about the fighters heart and determination.

is resonates in training and manifests itself on fight night.

its not all about size.

Marciano is a bad fker but some of you will never understand, sorry to say. He was Ice cold in personality a real gladiator

Marciano is the most thoroughbred fighter on film

1. little to no experience turned pro late

2. short, small with stubby arms - forced to fight at heavyweight.

3. was written off for the majority of his career, until the very end when he started knocking top ranked contenders ice cold

4. invented his own style - nobody fought like him.

5. Was able to generate tremendous leverage and hit extremely hard

6. Cleaned up 3 great fighters and retired Joe Louis in a very short period of time

7. retired on top and went on with his life

Comment

Originally posted by Ivich

Top ranked fighters
              Layne
              Lastarza
              Louis37
              Walcott 38
              Charles 33
              ****ell
              Moore 41

Marciano did not knock Moore,Lastarza ,****ell ice cold.

Moore was sitting in a corner totally exhausted fully conscious,but unable to get up.

Lastarza was stopped on his feet.

****ell was stopped on his feet.

Charles went the distance in their 1st fight and so did Lastarza.Louis was tko'd without a count and he was conscious when Goldstein stopped it.

In his 6 title defences Marciano scored just 2 ko's and Walcott elected to stay down in their 2nd fight.

Of all the men I fought in boxing, Sonny Liston was the scariest.' - Muhammad Ali

'He's the meanest fighter that ever lived. No one's more intimidating. Not even myself.' - Mike Tyson

'Liston compares favorably with any of the heavyweights of the past. Any of them. When somebody asks me, 'How does Liston compare with Joe Louis?' I have to stop and think. So you know how good a fighter Liston is.' - Cus D'Amato

'Liston was the biggest puncher I ever fought.' - Chuck Wepner

'Sonny Liston stood up to me and actually made me give ground. No one has ever done that to me before or since.' - George Foreman

'If you got hit with that right hand, you wouldn't get up.' - Floyd Patterson

'Possibly the greatest left jab in the history of the heavyweight division. That left jab could go through brick walls.' - Bert Sugar

'Liston could scowl as hard as any man in or out of the ring. And, of course, he invented the big stare.' - Joe Louis

'I boxed heavyweights for four years till I realized Sonny Liston wasn't my cup of tea. When I saw him come on the scene, I said I'm going to get back down where I belong.' - Willie Pastrano

'When you got hit by Sonny Liston's jab, it felt like you were getting hit with a telephone pole.' - Ray Schoeninger

'Nobody hit those bags like Sonny. He tore bags up. He could turn that hook, put everything behind it. Turn and snap. Bam! Why, he could knock you across the room with a jab. I saw him knock guys out with a straight jab. Bam! In the ring, Sonny was a killing machine.' - Johnny Tocco

'When Sonny gave you the evil eye - I don't care who you were - you shrunk to two feet tall. And one thing more; he could fight like hell. They forget it now, but when Liston was champ, some people thought he was the greatest heavyweight of all time.' - Harold Conrad

"Sonny Liston, I watched Sonny Liston when I was a teenager do something that I’ve never seen any heavyweight do—walk through the whole division almost from being the number ten guy all the way up to the champion because he was that devastating like around ’57, and ’58, and ’59. I mean he had unbelievable brutal punching power. He was mean, punched with both hands"--Emmanuel Steward

Source: Heavyweight History With Emanuel Steward: Part 3 Of 3 •
              I hate it when I see people dump on Liston and relegate him to "oh, that dude that quit twice versus Ali".....
              Ivich Ivich _Rexy_ _Rexy_ like this.

Comment

Working...
              X