Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which weight class GOAT out distances their class the most?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

- - Joe Louis hands down. Holds the heavyweight title record that has never been approached until Wlad came along.

Sal Sanchez, 10-0 title record by age 23 when he passed. Mike Tyson was also 10-0 by age 23, and in a fashion he passed on mentally broken needing dangerous experimental psychotropic sedatives while being managed by an all time sycophant and all around crook in DKing.
    billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

While Jones was the greatest talent at 168 I don't think he spent enough time there or has the resume to be put ahead of Ward. P4P yes. But not at 168. Ironically I would rate Jones higher at 175 than Ward for the same reasons. I believe lightheavyweight would be Jones primary weight class.
      Thanks for the info! I didn't know where to put Jones lol.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

No Ezzard Charles at 175?
        There you go... Why this is such a hard question lol.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
          - - Joe Louis hands down. Holds the heavyweight title record that has never been approached until Wlad came along.

Sal Sanchez, 10-0 title record by age 23 when he passed. Mike Tyson was also 10-0 by age 23, and in a fashion he passed on mentally broken needing dangerous experimental psychotropic sedatives while being managed by an all time sycophant and all around crook in DKing.
          Larry Holmes had consecutive defenses without losing. I personally think Ali and Joe are neck and neck.

Comment

Harry greb.

then robinson.

actually who am I saying, Marciano
            Last edited by them_apples; 04-19-2024, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post

Thanks for the info! I didn't know where to put Jones lol.
              Jones is an enigma. He either didn't spend enough time Ina division (160, 168) or didn't have the competition to put him above others at 175. Pound for pound he was an incredible talent though. The ability was there, just not the longevity and or competition. Same with Calzaghe. Excellent fighter, but didn't have many great names on his resume to put him over the tip in my opinion.
              billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229

Have I lost site of the OP's intent or have some of you guys?

There seems to be two different sets of answers; two questions being answered.

Is this a fighter who is so far above the other ATGs of his weight class, that he is the GOAT?

OR

Or is this a fighter who was so far beyond the No.#1 contender in his own time?

If this is the second one, I agree with Queenie, It's Joe Louis in the 1930s.

But if it against all the greats of that weight class, throughout history, then I stick with Inoue at super bantamweight.

And that's mainly because of the weight class, Super Bantamweight.
                The way I interpreted it was the fighter with the furthest distance from the next greatest fighter all time in respected division.
                billeau2 billeau2 DeeMoney DeeMoney like this.

Comment

Yea OK. That's how I tried to answer. I couldn't upstand some of the answers.

As great as SRR and Greb were they didn't dominate, which they did, to some extent, but not by a great margin. They had competition. They even lost a bunch.

Anyway those answers threw me off task.

P.S. Do you think Ezzard Charles dominates Tunney, Greb, Spinks, ETC by the largest margin? I don't.
                  I don't think Charles is that far ahead, but I do have him as the best at 175. I took a minute to look at some of the ratings of the IBRO. They go by votes with point values for each place. While I didn't going thru the anything under featherweight, it appeared at a quick glance Willie Pep had the furthest lead against his peers. That doesn't necessarily make it so for the purpose of this thread, but I did find it interesting. This was a great question, but it's as subjective as p4p.
                  Willie Pep 229 Willie Pep 229 likes this.

Comment

Usyk at cruiserweight.

Comment

Yea OK. That's how I tried to answer. I couldn't upstand some of the answers.

As great as SRR and Greb were they didn't dominate, which they did, to some extent, but not by a great margin. They had competition. They even lost a bunch.

Anyway those answers threw me off task.

P.S. Do you think Ezzard Charles dominates Tunney, Greb, Spinks, ETC by the largest margin? I don't.
                      When Jab mentioned Charles My interpretation was not necessarily that he was better but that you couldn't necessarily say that Tunney was so much better. I definitely agree with this. I might make a case for Charles or Tunney but saying that there was a vast chasm between them no way that I can think of to make that case.

Comment

Working...
                      X