Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which weight class GOAT out distances their class the most?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which weight class GOAT out distances their class the most?

Which fighter, in your opinion, who is the greatest of all time in their weight class, has the largest distance between themselves and the second greatest fighter in that class? Whatever criteria you use is fine.

My initial thought is it would be someone in a lighter weight class, or one of the newer classes. But would love to get your thoughts.

Willie Pep at featherweight, or Robinson at welter. I think a case can be made for Ward at supermiddle as well. Tough question.

Comment

Ricardo Lopez at minimum.

Comment

I don't see much gap between Robinson, Greb, Monzon et al. So I don't think it is one of them.

Every division has stellar AT opposition. I can't see it being easy for #1 in any division--that is, there is very little gap anywhere you look.

Maybe Ward and Calzaghe are both decent candidates in their youthful division. Then again, how much gap is there between them?

Aaron Pryor? Especially if his alchemist Panama Lewis is on hand to help out.

I don't really have a good answer.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
          Willie Pep at featherweight, or Robinson at welter. I think a case can be made for Ward at supermiddle as well. Tough question.
          Would Jones be in super middle? because I was going to put him down and I saw your post and I agree about Ward being special at that weight. Both Jones and Ward were dominant just not sure if this was Jones primary?

This is a great question...

Comment

Originally posted by DeeMoney View Post
            Which fighter, in your opinion, who is the greatest of all time in their weight class, has the largest distance between themselves and the second greatest fighter in that class? Whatever criteria you use is fine.

My initial thought is it would be someone in a lighter weight class, or one of the newer classes. But would love to get your thoughts.
            Lets assume that it is decided that the largest distance between oneself and second is alas, not that great... I see two possible additional scenarios: Robinson to Armstrong at Welter, and Tunney to Spinks at light heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post

Would Jones be in super middle? because I was going to put him down and I saw your post and I agree about Ward being special at that weight. Both Jones and Ward were dominant just not sure if this was Jones primary?

This is a great question...
              While Jones was the greatest talent at 168 I don't think he spent enough time there or has the resume to be put ahead of Ward. P4P yes. But not at 168. Ironically I would rate Jones higher at 175 than Ward for the same reasons. I believe lightheavyweight would be Jones primary weight class.
              billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post

Lets assume that it is decided that the largest distance between oneself and second is alas, not that great... I see two possible additional scenarios: Robinson to Armstrong at Welter, and Tunney to Spinks at light heavy.
                No Ezzard Charles at 175?
                Ivich Ivich mrbig1 mrbig1 like this.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeMoney View Post

Good question! I agree that it's likely at one outside the original 8 division and maybe in a division below lightweight where most of us is probably not as knowledgeable. So maybe minimum- or strawweight idk lol.

I have to disagree with people suggesting Ward at SMW. Not much separates him with Calzaghe. Both of them (and Ottke) was undefeated and never fought outside the homecountry having significant advantage in officiating from that.

Let me throw in a name for you guys: Julio Cesar Chavez at 140. 18 defense of the title which is a record for the division and top wins including Taylor, Mayweather, Camacho, Haugen, Fuentes etc. Sounds like a good suggestion to me, but what say you?
                  Last edited by BattlingNelson; 04-19-2024, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
                    Ricardo Lopez at minimum.
                    This was my original thought, lower weight class newer weight class, made it easy. But I am a hug Finito fan, so figured I might be biased. The other I had was all the SMW chatter going on.

Good to see great minds (or whatever we all may be) think alike.

Comment

Working...
                    X