Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Hardest Hitting Heavyweight (Pure Power)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post

Deontay
    He was meant to be included, dammit, I just forgot. Can polls be revised? Unlikely. I'll see. Otherwise just vote for someone I did remember, if Deontay was your choice.

Comment

Hey, it worked. Wilder now in the poll.

Comment

Nino Valdes, as he lay dying from cancer, drugged heavily with morphine, was asked by his family if it hurt, and said:
        “not as bad as getting hit by Sonny Liston!”

Comment

Originally posted by Willow The Wisp View Post
          Just for fun.......

1. Earnie Shavers
          2. George Foreman
          3. Sonny Liston
          4. Rocky Marciano
          5. Joe Louis
          6. Jack Dempsey
          7. Cleveland Williams
          8. Deontay Wilder
          9. Bob Satterfield
          10. Max Baer
          11. Mike Tyson
          12. (Two Ton) Tony Galento
          13. Ron Lyle
          14. Buddy Baer
          15. Harry Wills
          16. Jim Coffey (The Roscommon Giant)
          17. Elmer (Violent) Ray
          18. Al Reich
          19. George Godfrey
          20. Gerry Cooney
          21. Tommy Gomez
          22. Joe Frazier
          23. Charley Retzlaff
          24. Lennox Lewis
          25. Nino Valdez
          26. Fighting Bob Martin
          27. Luis Angel Firpo
          28. Ellsworth (Hank) Hankinson
          29. Mike Weaver
          30. Vitali Klitschko
          31. Ingemar Johansson
          32. Joe Goddard
          33. Fred Fulton
          34. Anthony Joshua
          35. Mike DeJohn
          36. (Sailor) Tom Sharkey
          37. David Tua
          38. Ed (Gunboat) Smith
          39. Sam Langford
          40. Roy (Hoot) Burger
          41. Tommy Morrison
          42. Wladimir Klitschko
          43. Luther McCarty
          44. Joe Joyce
          45. Carl Morris
          46. Jerry Quarry
          47. Peter Maher
          48. Al Kaufman
          49. Jess Willard
          50. Jeff (Candy Slim) Merritt​
          You sure know how to have fun. The list seems pretty educated, since I have to admit to never hearing of some of your guys. Others I had heard of but didn't know they were considered big punchers.

I did a bad job on this poll, I forgot Wilder, but now he is in. The poll only takes 10 entries, so I had to leave out non-champs. After the 5 winners of this poll are determined, another poll could consider the non-champ winners then combine them in a poll, and/or do it now as you have done.
          Last edited by Slugfester; 03-27-2024, 05:51 PM.
          MoonCheese Marchegiano likes this.

Comment

If a tree falls in the woods, does it make a noise?

My take on hardest punchers, is that actually being able to land it, sooner or later, MUST be factored in. A PSI machine doesn't move. I'm very certain that there have been some Very hard hitters who were murder in bar fights with Boxing records of 0-3-1. I've seen hundreds in my day. I posted above a part of a list I'd posted elsewhere about 15 years ago that I quickly updated; just for fun.
            Thats fine, I was just interpreting what the OP seemed to have implied. It wasn't about ability to land or any of that, simply the maximum amount of force they could create. There are many of other factors that go into winning a boxing match, but based on what was originally asked, those other factors are irrelevant.
            Slugfester Slugfester likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post

we just sort of disagree then my dude. Which is fine, I ain't going to bother trying to convince anyone, just my vote is deontay.

I get the concept of a machine punch and how that could be liberating for a guy who could display more power on a machine or bag than he can get away with in the ring. I say that's Wilder. It's cool if you don't agree with that, I'm interested in who you reckon that'd be anyway.

I am a prosthetist. Kinesiology is a big part of my career. To be clear I am aware of the scam "applied kinesiology" that's not me or prosthetics at all.

Like anyone else I'm using what I've seen on screen and what I know personally to conclude, Wilder.

If not Wilder than Marciano.

I don't mean to say oh look at me I'm a stupid science ***** so I know something you don't. I just mean to be open about where my bias for Wilder comes from. I'm pretty confident and have been since 2012, check my history, he's the hardest hitter of all time just based on his kinematic chains.

But that doesn't mean I'm right it just means I have a bias.

Just FYI, PSI is only used because promoters are involved. Electronics are only used because promoters are involved. A weight, a ruler, and a stopwatch is how you'd measure energy output and it'd be in foot-pounds like any other projectile. My point is, of course as a prosthetist I have to know the durability and breaking points of my products and human abilities, we uh, in science just in general but also as an industry standard. No one would measure a kinetic energy output in electric energy based off an accelerometer and then covert that to a pressure SI of all things to figure out exact kinetic energy, force, or power.

Bro, would you measure electrical energy physically and then convert it to a heat unit like celcius? Of course not, it's stupid and inexact as hell, and doesn't even tell you what you wanted to know. And there is why they do that ****. So they can pull the highest number out of their bull**** machine and if the guy does miserable they can call bull**** on the machine.

Take a weight, hit the weight, measure how far it went and time it. Easy as ****, industry standard, whether you are check how human your fake fist is or how hard you new gun shoots that's how we do it. The toys you see in these promo spots are just that, toys in a promo spot.

****ing rambled Point was, I'm good sticking with Deontay. Who you got?
              Thats a good post, and trust me Deontay is up for me, but I voted for Lewis. I think he would be able to generate more force than Wilder if he wanted to, as was he was content to just be the big guy and box from the outside while winning a fight.

And FWIW, I just used PSI as a generic example of trying to explain that it isnt how hard they threw or landed in their fights, but rather their maximum potential of force.
              MoonCheese Marchegiano likes this.

Comment

If a tree falls in the woods, does it make a noise?

My take on hardest punchers, is that actually being able to land it, sooner or later, MUST be factored in. A PSI machine doesn't move. I'm very certain that there have been some Very hard hitters who were murder in bar fights with Boxing records of 0-3-1. I've seen hundreds in my day. I posted above a part of a list I'd posted elsewhere about 15 years ago that I quickly updated; just for fun.
                I thought it should not be factored in. I thought the assumption was built into the question that the man in question lands his best punch, but not whether he can land it or not. We have all seen every fighter in the poll land his best shot.

Let me make another assumption. The hardest hitter will have proportionately more 1 punch KOs than the generic KO artist. I think it is a safe assumption, though not absolute. The 1PKOs should continue after an internship of tuna cans, which is key.

I do not have opinions right now on PSI readings except that they probably reveal something relevant to the subject, probably not an exact answer.

Observing the effects on opponents is still my preferred method. For backup I like what opponents say. Foreman cited Williams, Cooney and Lyle as the hardest punchers he was in the ring with. Have to believe him.

Last edited by Slugfester; 03-27-2024, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Where is Earnie shavers? I thought it was pretty much a given he was number 1 here and he’s not in the list.

His ko record is off the charts and guys who had shared a ring with foreman, Tyson etc said shavers was in a different league in terms of power.
                  Slugfester Slugfester likes this.

Comment

Marciano.

Comment

Originally posted by Slugfester View Post

I thought it should not be factored in. I thought the assumption was built into the question that the man in question lands his best punch, but not whether he can land it or not. We have all seen every fighter in the poll land his best shot.

Let me make another assumption. The hardest hitter will have proportionately more 1 punch KOs than the generic KO artist. I think it is a safe assumption, though not absolute. The 1PKOs should continue after an internship of tuna cans, which is key.

I do not have opinions right now on PSI readings except that they probably reveal something relevant to the subject, probably not an exact answer.

Observing the effects on opponents is still my preferred method. For backup I like what opponents say. Foreman cited Williams, Cooney and Lyle as the hardest punchers he was in the ring with. Have to believe him.

They wont always have more one punch KOs, since a lot of that is timing and speed as well as power. Marciano had such short arms he had only one way of fighting, getting close by crouching underneath and beating them up inside. Like a swarm of rhino bees. His one puncher power was career ending hard. No man should ever take that punch

Comment

Working...
                      X