Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Hardest Hitting Heavyweight (Pure Power)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hardest Hitting Heavyweight (Pure Power)

Who was the hardest hitting HW ever? This does not mean their overall punching skills. We don't care how well they punch, their form or anything else. This thread has to do with how hard they could deliver one shot. You can only vote for one in the poll but you can expand your list in the comments.
    Dempsey
    16.67%
    Louis
    0%
    Liston
    8.33%
    Marciano
    8.33%
    Foreman
    16.67%
    Lewis
    16.67%
    Morrison
    0%
    Tyson
    8.33%
    Baer
    0%
    Wilder
    25.00%

Deontay

Comment

Originally posted by Slugfester View Post
      Who was the hardest hitting HW ever? This does not mean their overall punching skills. We don't care how well they punch, their form or anything else. This thread has to do with how hard they could deliver one shot. You can only vote for one in the poll but you can expand your list in the comments.
      On that list, probably Foreman.
      Slugfester Slugfester likes this.

Comment

Where is shavers?

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post

Deontay
          I think Deontay does throw the hardest punches, but I think this poll is a bit different. It asks who 'could' throw the hardest single punch, allow me to explain my interpretation of the difference.

In fights Wilder, who I am a fan of and am not hating on, will throw these ridiculous crow-hop power shots that generate a lot of power (yes I know its not all his KOs, but it happens a lot). They lead to devastating knockouts, but they are not punches most boxers are willing to throw in a fight. That being written, I believe there are other fighters who could generate that much, if not more power.

I may be wrong, but to me this is basically asking if you lined up all the heavyweights on a psi machine who would get the highest score
          Last edited by DeeMoney; 03-27-2024, 12:42 PM.

Comment

All the old timers said Dempsey. All the recent "experts" claim Wilder. In the middle of the two they say Foreman.

You really want to honor a prize fighter, ask who kept their money and didn't beat their wife.

P.S. I voted for Dempsey because I'm a Dempsey fan. Not a single one of those guys ever actually punched me.
            billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

Just for fun.......

1. Earnie Shavers
              2. George Foreman
              3. Sonny Liston
              4. Rocky Marciano
              5. Joe Louis
              6. Jack Dempsey
              7. Cleveland Williams
              8. Deontay Wilder
              9. Bob Satterfield
              10. Max Baer
              11. Mike Tyson
              12. (Two Ton) Tony Galento
              13. Ron Lyle
              14. Buddy Baer
              15. Harry Wills
              16. Jim Coffey (The Roscommon Giant)
              17. Elmer (Violent) Ray
              18. Al Reich
              19. George Godfrey
              20. Gerry Cooney
              21. Tommy Gomez
              22. Joe Frazier
              23. Charley Retzlaff
              24. Lennox Lewis
              25. Nino Valdez
              26. Fighting Bob Martin
              27. Luis Angel Firpo
              28. Ellsworth (Hank) Hankinson
              29. Mike Weaver
              30. Vitali Klitschko
              31. Ingemar Johansson
              32. Joe Goddard
              33. Fred Fulton
              34. Anthony Joshua
              35. Mike DeJohn
              36. (Sailor) Tom Sharkey
              37. David Tua
              38. Ed (Gunboat) Smith
              39. Sam Langford
              40. Roy (Hoot) Burger
              41. Tommy Morrison
              42. Wladimir Klitschko
              43. Luther McCarty
              44. Joe Joyce
              45. Carl Morris
              46. Jerry Quarry
              47. Peter Maher
              48. Al Kaufman
              49. Jess Willard
              50. Jeff (Candy Slim) Merritt​
              billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeMoney View Post

I think Deontay does throw the hardest punches, but I think this poll is a bit different. It asks who 'could' throw the hardest single punch, allow me to explain my interpretation of the difference.

In fights Wilder, who I am a fan of and am not hating on, will throw these ridiculous crow-hop power shots that generate a lot of power (yes I know its not all his KOs, but it happens a lot). They lead to devastating knockouts, but they are not punches most boxers are willing to throw in a fight. That being written, I believe there are other fighters who could generate that much, if not more power.

I may be wrong, but to me this is basically asking if you lined up all the heavyweights on a psi machine who would get the highest score
                If a tree falls in the woods, does it make a noise?

My take on hardest punchers, is that actually being able to land it, sooner or later, MUST be factored in. A PSI machine doesn't move. I'm very certain that there have been some Very hard hitters who were murder in bar fights with Boxing records of 0-3-1. I've seen hundreds in my day. I posted above a part of a list I'd posted elsewhere about 15 years ago that I quickly updated; just for fun.
                Willie Pep 229 Willie Pep 229 likes this.

Comment

A lot of things to consider. The eye test, stories within the sport, the guy's size(lets face it this is basic science. Mass behind the punch matters). Things like what type of KO's did the guy produce, could he do just as much damage with the left hand as he did with the right hand?

I think I would go with Lennox Lewis. 245-250lbs at a muscular 6'5. Naturally very heavy handed but also perfect technique, could throw all of his mass into a shot and had a lot of speed on top of it too. Left hooks, overhand rights, straight punches, uppercuts, even his jabs ko'd opponents. When he loaded up on 1 single big shot it was frightening to see what it did to the human body.

I think almost the exact same paragraph above could be applied to Wlad Klitschko. On only reason I don't pick him is because I think his power got inflated because he faced much weaker and smaller competition, and he hardly ever pulled the trigger so it is difficult to judge his full punching power.

The few times he unleashed the full power though? Two times I thought his opponent died. Like I was worried they wouldn't ever get back up again.
                  Last edited by BKM-; 03-27-2024, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeMoney View Post

we just sort of disagree then my dude. Which is fine, I ain't going to bother trying to convince anyone, just my vote is deontay.

I get the concept of a machine punch and how that could be liberating for a guy who could display more power on a machine or bag than he can get away with in the ring. I say that's Wilder. It's cool if you don't agree with that, I'm interested in who you reckon that'd be anyway.

I am a prosthetist. Kinesiology is a big part of my career. To be clear I am aware of the scam "applied kinesiology" that's not me or prosthetics at all.

Like anyone else I'm using what I've seen on screen and what I know personally to conclude, Wilder.

If not Wilder than Marciano.

I don't mean to say oh look at me I'm a stupid science ***** so I know something you don't. I just mean to be open about where my bias for Wilder comes from. I'm pretty confident and have been since 2012, check my history, he's the hardest hitter of all time just based on his kinematic chains.

But that doesn't mean I'm right it just means I have a bias.

Just FYI, PSI is only used because promoters are involved. Electronics are only used because promoters are involved. A weight, a ruler, and a stopwatch is how you'd measure energy output and it'd be in foot-pounds like any other projectile. My point is, of course as a prosthetist I have to know the durability and breaking points of my products and human abilities, we uh, in science just in general but also as an industry standard. No one would measure a kinetic energy output in electric energy based off an accelerometer and then covert that to a pressure SI of all things to figure out exact kinetic energy, force, or power.

Bro, would you measure electrical energy physically and then convert it to a heat unit like celcius? Of course not, it's stupid and inexact as hell, and doesn't even tell you what you wanted to know. And there is why they do that ****. So they can pull the highest number out of their bull**** machine and if the guy does miserable they can call bull**** on the machine.

Take a weight, hit the weight, measure how far it went and time it. Easy as ****, industry standard, whether you are check how human your fake fist is or how hard you new gun shoots that's how we do it. The toys you see in these promo spots are just that, toys in a promo spot.

****ing rambled Point was, I'm good sticking with Deontay. Who you got?
                    Slugfester Slugfester likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X