No announcement yet.

Analysis of Jack Johnsons style.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Analysis of Jack Johnsons style.

It’s an old style, he grapples and maneuvers the opponents with his forearms into openings. He’s almost impossible to hit clean due to his style.

Some footage here of him in old age sparring :

It’s interesting because you can see his style. How he grips the armpit and moves with the punches, and can create space for his right uppercut.

We transfer back to the old footage and it’s hard to see what he’s doing. He’s right in the sense you only need the jab for distance fighting, the rest can all be hard inside shots.

That same move he makes in all his fights he makes in that sparring video. A feint w the jab and a clever step in to grappling position. He never shows much on the outside besides a jab, giving not many opportunities to be hit. The inside right uppercut of his is very hard no seems to land when they are vulnerable. I also notice he pulls the head down with his left forearm which gives him space for an uppercut.

It’s easy to see his defence would be very hard to crack, since a lot of getting hit comes from counter punches, but Johnsons style allows for little counter punching.
    JAB5239 JAB5239 likes this.

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
    Itâs an old style, he grapples and maneuvers the opponents with his forearms into openings. Heâs almost impossible to hit clean due to his style.

Some footage here of him in old age sparring :

Itâs interesting because you can see his style. How he grips the armpit and moves with the punches, and can create space for his right uppercut.

We transfer back to the old footage and itâs hard to see what heâs doing. Heâs right in the sense you only need the jab for distance fighting, the rest can all be hard inside shots.

That same move he makes in all his fights he makes in that sparring video. A feint w the jab and a clever step in to grappling position. He never shows much on the outside besides a jab, giving not many opportunities to be hit. The inside right uppercut of his is very hard no seems to land when they are vulnerable. I also notice he pulls the head down with his left forearm which gives him space for an uppercut.

Itâs easy to see his defence would be very hard to crack, since a lot of getting hit comes from counter punches, but Johnsons style allows for little counter punching.
    I'll quote another,"Johnson used to stand flat footed, his back foot at a near right angle to his left,wait for his opponent to come in. block and parry his shots and rip him to pieces with uppercuts."
    "I never lead,defence will always win ,if it's good enough."Johnson.

Comment

Well, he was most stationary fighter with a low guard. He clinched smaller men while hitting them, sometimes fouling in the process.
      Neither style worked against a mobile good boxer like O'Brien, or big men like Battling Jim Johnson, or an even bigger man like Jess Willard.

But then again none of them were NOT old & inactive for years. O'brien used skills and movement to outbox Johnson, and better him according to some reports. Batting Jim and Jess Willard were not small men. Johsnon could not tie them up at all like Middleweight Ketchel or 168 pound 5'7" Burns.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Z View Post
        Well, he was most stationary fighter with a low guard. He clinched smaller men while hitting them, sometimes fouling in the process.
        Neither style worked against a mobile good boxer like O'Brien, or big men like Battling Jim Johnson, or an even bigger man like Jess Willard.

But then again none of them were NOT old & inactive for years. O'brien used skills and movement to outbox Johnson, and better him according to some reports. Batting Jim and Jess Willard were not small men. Johsnon could not tie them up at all like Middleweight Ketchel or 168 pound 5'7" Burns.

How did his style not work out?
        He went 6 rounds with O Brien to a no decision. Jim Jeffries said O Brien could make anyone look bad over 6 rounds

He went 10rds with Jim Johnson to a draw fighting under the handicap of a broken arm.

He went 26 rds with Willard at the age of 37 and was in front when he gassed out.

Burns and Gardner were good mobile boxers.

Moran
        Kaufman
        McVey
        Jeannette
        Were not small men.
        Haters like you regurgitate the same BS over and over,I wonder you don't get as tired of it as the rest of us do!
        billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivich View Post

How did his style not work out?
          He went 6 rounds with O Brien to a no decision. Jim Jeffries said O Brien could make anyone look bad over 6 rounds

He went 10rds with Jim Johnson to a draw fighting under the handicap of a broken arm.

He went 26 rds with Willard at the age of 37 and was in front when he gassed out.

Burns and Gardner were good mobile boxers.

Moran
          Kaufman
          McVey
          Jeannette
          Were not small men.
          Haters like you regurgitate the same BS over and over,I wonder you don't get as tired of it as the rest of us do!
          Kauffman was a stiff who was Ko'd six times, yet he went the distance with Johnson.

Mcvey was a teenager when he fought Jack, come on!

Jeannette as novice without amateur experience who sometimes had a losing or .500 record when he fight Johnson. Come on now.

Moran was a mediocre contender. He got we beat by many men post his Johnson fight. He ended up 36-12-2. And went the distance with Johnson. Let's face on the facts! I do NOT make them up.

By the way Kaufman and Jeannette were under 200 pounds when they fought Johnson, they were neither small nor big. Do you think I'm impressed with this?

Comment

Kauffman was a stiff who was Ko'd six times, yet he went the distance with Johnson.

Jeannette as novice without amateur experience who sometimes had a losing or .500 record when he fight Johnson. Come on now.

Moran was a mediocre contender. He got we beat by many men post his Johnson fight. He ended up 36-12-2. And went the distance with Johnson. Let's face on the facts! I do NOT make them up.

By the way Kaufman and Jeannette were under 200 pounds when they fought Johnson, they were neither small nor big. Do you think I'm impressed with this?
            Kaufman beat
            Schreck
            Flynn
            Ross
            Gardner
            O Brien x2

"Jack Johnson had no trouble winning a 'newspaper' decision over Al Kaufman this afternoon in ten rounds. There was an agreement that no decision was to be rendered if both were on their feet at the end. Johnson landed almost at will, while Kaufman got in only two effective blows. It appeared as though Johnson could have ended the fight at any time." (Associated Press)

Kaufman beat up O Brien a few months after losing every round to Johnson, Kaufman took an easy decision from him and he repeated the trick a little later.

At one time Kaufman was considered the best of the White Hopes.
            McVey was 20 in his last fight with Johnson in which he was ko'd .
            Kaufman was in the 190's as was Jeannette.

How many 200lbs men did Jeffries beat?
            Jeannette had had 22 fights when he lost to Johnson in1905.

What a fighter's record is when he retires has no bearing as to his abilities when he was prime.eg Ezzard Charles.
            I've no wish to try and impress you,the limit of my interaction with you is correcting your spin and lies.
            Last edited by Ivich; 03-14-2024, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Doc, its not that you "make things up", so much, it's that you occasionally interpret things oddly. Like a blind person encountering a lion and marveling over its soft fur, expecting his hugs to be followed by something nice.

Frankly, I'm surprised that you didn't berate Johnson for never having "fought any Ring ranked contenders".

I apologize for my flippancy.
              travestyny travestyny Ivich Ivich like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow The Wisp View Post

Doc, its not that you "make things up", so much, it's that you occasionally interpret things oddly. Like a blind person encountering a lion and marveling over its soft fur, expecting his hugs to be followed by something nice.

Frankly, I'm surprised that you didn't berate Johnson for never having "fought any Ring ranked contenders".

I apologize for my flippancy.
                I'm sorry,but he not only flat out lies, he constantly repeats his lies.
                Kaufman was over 190lbs and 6 ft 1in, that's big for the early1900's.
                Jeannette was shorter at 5'10 in, but between 185 and 205lbs.
                Ferguson was 6 3 1/2in over 200lbs and drew with Ruhlin and Langford ,and has a win over Jeannette. Moran was 6'1"and 203 lbs for Johnson.
                McVey was 5'10" 205lbs.
                These were not small men in the early 1900's
                He berates Joe Louis for not having fought any "Eastern Europeans", so there is still time!
                Last edited by Ivich; 03-14-2024, 01:14 PM.
                Willow The Wisp Willow The Wisp likes this.

Comment

Ferguson was 6 3 1/2in over 200lbs and drew with Ruhlin and Langford ,and has a win over Jeannette. Moran was 6'1"and 203 lbs for Johnson.
                  McVey was 5'10" 205lbs.
                  He berates Joe Louis for not having fought any "Eastern Europeans", so there is still time!
                  Lol! And that is odd. Louis, it should be noted, notched a win over Boleslav Chrzanowski.
                  Ivich Ivich likes this.

Comment

McVey was 5'10" 205lbs.

There are FACTS, just like Johnson, the heavyweight champion of the world was KO early by a man weighing in the 170's, floored by a super middleweight and out boxed by another by primary sources! Just like he was lucky to draw vs Journeyman Battling Johnson. Some champion.

Just like he holds wins over novices in Sam Mcvey, and Joe Jeatnnete. You conveniently forget this, so I am here to remind you and the others who read you dirvel.

Admit it dude, you like the freemason wife beater for brotherly reasons

I think he is overrated and like you a lousy human being.

Now I am not going to reply to switch bait tactics of Jeffries or Louis who have zero to do with the OP's point and thread.

You bring up the journeyman Ferguson 33-22-14. Yeah he was something else, right?

Just facts. The man lies and has the nerve to call me a liar?

Comment

Working...
                    X