Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The fact that Ali was complaining about how hard Rocky was hitting…

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by them_apples View Post

You doubt that he was stronger? Look at the knock outs he registered and look and who he fought. What are you even basing this off of?

what has Beter done and who has he fought? He has no head-movement Foster would sleep him cold. Snoring

and a 255 lb Marciano looks like a 275 lb Foreman. Just Husky. Not actually fat though. Marciano never actually got Fat fat
    Number of knockouts and physical strength are two different things. Jimmy Wilde looked like he was a concentration camp survivor - yet was one of the hardest punching (p4p) boxers of all time.

Maybe Foster would indeeed sleep Beter - but not because he was physically stronger.

So no photo of a non-fat 255lbs Marciano? Are you just making up stuff as you go along, because you think it backs up your agenda? Like that hilarious claim about Rocky coming into this world at a whopping 14lbs!! Jesus... have you no idea, how silly that sounds?

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post

Number of knockouts and physical strength are two different things. Jimmy Wilde looked like he was a concentration camp survivor - yet was one of the hardest punching (p4p) boxers of all time.

Maybe Foster would indeeed sleep Beter - but not because he was physically stronger.

So no photo of a non-fat 255lbs Marciano? Are you just making up stuff as you go along, because you think it backs up your agenda? Like that hilarious claim about Rocky coming into this world at a whopping 14lbs!! Jesus... have you no idea, how silly that sounds?
      There are plenty of photos of a rotund Rocky with a round moon face,and why not ,he had sacrificed plenty?

It's the slavish ,hero worshipping, "Rockista's" who get you down ,if he was around today Rocky would have the cleanest anus in the US! lol
      Last edited by Ivich; 03-22-2024, 01:50 PM.
      Bundana Bundana likes this.

Comment

13.5 lbs or 14 lbs was his birth weight. Read it in Cameron’s Biography of him. It’s not absurd at all. If you really press ill go find the page and exact quote. Do you know how silly you sound for instantly assuming this was a hoax.
        Last edited by them_apples; 03-22-2024, 03:58 PM.

Comment

13.5 lbs or 14 lbs was his birth weight. Read it in Cameronâs Biography of him. Itâs not absurd at all. If you really press ill go find the page and exact quote. Do you know how silly you sound for instantly assuming this was a hoax.
          From Wikipedia: "The average birth weight in babies of European and African descent is 3.5 kilograms (7.7 lb), with the normative range between 2.5 and 4.0 kilograms (5.5 and 8.8 lb)". Birth weight - Wikipedia

13.5 lbs is an abnormally high birth weight! Now if you had told me, that guys like, for example, Shaquille​ O'Neal and LeBron James, came into this world at a weight like that, or even close to it, I would still be sceptical - but could not completely rule it out. After all, these two gentlemen were of course genetically meant to grow into giants - so it's not inconceivable, that they could have been a bit on the heavy side at birth. Though more than 13 lbs would still be hard to swallow!

As for Marciano, he was genetically geared to end up as pretty much your average-sized man; a little under 6 feet. Nothing there that would make me believe, that he came into this world so much heavier than the average newborn.

That a Marciano biographer mentions this outrageous birth weight, does not impress me at all. History is full of ridiculous claims, by people who want to make their heroes sound as special as possible!

Ivich Ivich likes this.

Comment

Ali DID start firing lethal shots at Rocky. Its been documented the the match was heating up and there used to even clips of it.

everyone keeps saying he held back, yeah for a few rounds he did - but those 2 def didn¢t just play around for 12 rounds.

Marcianos style confuses Ali and he even admits it, we can see why but also just through common sense if you analyze their styles.

my biggest pet peeve on this forum is the inability for anyone to realize how great Marciano was. He fooled his opponents and heâs fooling people today.

he never struggled with anyone, every fight is one sided and the difficulty is measured by who can survive the longest.

its because of Marcianos short reach and strong build coupled with a rock solid mentality that loved fighting. Old italians donât exist anymore - so when people see the rock they think of some globalist anglo today but its really not the case at all.

when Marciano is inside on a heavyweight, his 67 inch reach crushes them and they feel helpless. So they are forced to back pedal to get range. The thing is, Marciano doesnât box at range - he crouches and moves his head in a weird rythm and constantly seeks to âget closeâ as Archie put it. It exhausts fighters. This is why nobody âout boxed himâ even the best boxers of all time like Charles.

the reason Alis style struggles with this is he canât keep Rocky off, and same as w Frazier. So he takes breaks on the ropes. The window where Ali usually does his best work would be spent punching down at a crouching Marciano and likely missing a lot or just struggling in general because Ali really only throws 3 punches, a jab, straight right and a left hook.

Before anyone wants to obsess about weight, remember he was often outweighed by guys like Walcott and Charles - making him smaller. To do to charles while weighing less than him is ATG level victory.
            Great points. My own take is: Ali was a kind hearted individual despite his psychological warfare and would certainly have complimented Marciano. But I also agree that Marciano had a special way about him and could get where he needed to be to do damage. Also. Ali had problems with Frazier. So you make sense.

I don't think at Marciano's age we could think of him as being such a threat to Ali however, some of his artifice might indeed have caused Ali to reflect.
            Last edited by billeau2; 03-22-2024, 05:56 PM.
            them_apples them_apples likes this.

Comment

From Wikipedia: "The average birth weight in babies of European and African descent is 3.5 kilograms (7.7 lb), with the normative range between 2.5 and 4.0 kilograms (5.5 and 8.8 lb)". Birth weight - Wikipedia

13.5 lbs is an abnormally high birth weight! Now if you had told me, that guys like, for example, Shaquille​ O'Neal and LeBron James, came into this world at a weight like that, or even close to it, I would still be sceptical - but could not completely rule it out. After all, these two gentlemen were of course genetically meant to grow into giants - so it's not inconceivable, that they could have been a bit on the heavy side at birth. Though more than 13 lbs would still be hard to swallow!

As for Marciano, he was genetically geared to end up as pretty much your average-sized man; a little under 6 feet. Nothing there that would make me believe, that he came into this world so much heavier than the average newborn.

That a Marciano biographer mentions this outrageous birth weight, does not impress me at all. History is full of ridiculous claims, by people who want to make their heroes sound as special as possible!

Rocky Marciano's Training Routine
              • 7 am: Wake up, drink tea with sugar and lemon, and run 5 miles (9km)
              • 8:30 am: Breakfast includes fruit, cereal, two soft-boiled eggs, lamb chops, toast, and tea.
              • 10 am: Short walk and nap
              • 12 pm: another short nap before his workout
              • 3 pm: Boxing workout, including push-ups, pull-ups, and other calisthenics exercises
              • 4:30 pm: Another short nap before dinner
              • 5 pm: Dinner including steak, green vegetables, and olive oil dressing
              • 7 pm: Walk, ping pong, reading or listening to the radio
              • 8:30 pm: An apple or a pear, and then time for bed

Comment

Originally posted by Ivich View Post
                Rocky Marciano's Training Routine
                • 7 am: Wake up, drink tea with sugar and lemon, and run 5 miles (9km)
                • 8:30 am: Breakfast includes fruit, cereal, two soft-boiled eggs, lamb chops, toast, and tea.
                • 10 am: Short walk and nap
                • 12 pm: another short nap before his workout
                • 3 pm: Boxing workout, including push-ups, pull-ups, and other calisthenics exercises
                • 4:30 pm: Another short nap before dinner
                • 5 pm: Dinner including steak, green vegetables, and olive oil dressing
                • 7 pm: Walk, ping pong, reading or listening to the radio
                • 8:30 pm: An apple or a pear, and then time for bed
                No mention of sparing. That's interesting. I wonder if he slowed that down as the years passed. I personally think sparing does much damage and should be avoided. I think 'gym wars' should actually be made illegal. Literally.
                Last edited by Willie Pep 229; 03-22-2024, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post

No mention of sparing. That's interesting. I wonder if he slowed that down as the years passed. I personally think sparing does much damage and should be avoided. I think 'gym wars' should actually be made illegal. Literally.
                  He would also work his running up to 12-15 miles and some areas were all hill. Word was he basically worked out all day, only stopped to eat a bit. It’s that “no wasted time” legionary mentality. Were every second of the day has a task. When you are constantly active the human body goes into a different state. The average person only works out a few hours. Their body regulates and goes into sedentary mode inbetween. Also, given the way he hits the bag - those 1-2 hour bag sessions of his were the reason he could throw so many hard punches for so long. He clearly worked on this very diligently. This is also where his extremely tough mentality would make these workouts brutal.
                  Willie Pep 229 Willie Pep 229 likes this.

Comment

Yes and rocky Marciano had a very high birth weight. Foreman was 13 lbs, Ali was 12. Duran was 10 and correct Marciano was a bit over 13 lbs. scott camerons book

Comment

Yes and rocky Marciano had a very high birth weight. Foreman was 13 lbs, Ali was 12. Duran was 10 and correct Marciano was a bit over 13 lbs. scott camerons book
                      Does Cameron give a source for his figure?
                      Foreman ,Ali, and Duran were born considerably later than Marciano,[DOB 1923,] when birth weights had risen.
                      Last edited by Ivich; 03-23-2024, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X