Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Name me a fight where the fighter literally took the soul away from his opponent

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tatabanya View Post

It's one of my favorite moments ever in the history of boxing, to be honest.
    I was baffled Broner was the heavy favourite in that fight.

Everything pointed to at the very least that Maidana was going to give Broner a whole load of serious problems.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post

I was baffled Broner was the heavy favourite in that fight.

Everything pointed to at the very least that Maidana was going to give Broner a whole load of serious problems.
      Yeah, especially after having seen him struggle with Malignaggi six months prior. Broner was overrated as hell.

Comment

Yeah, especially after having seen him struggle with Malignaggi six months prior. Broner was overrated as hell.
        Quintero and Ponce De Leon the signs were clearly there but I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

After a passed it Pauli, a fight that for any elite fighter would have been a brutal beat down but instead was an either way fight where he struggled with output. I knew from then Broner was going no where.

When he signed to fight Maidana, all I thought was Maidana is going to by far the biggest guy he's ever fought, by FAR the biggest puncher he's ever fought, and there's no way that he isn't going to land and land consistently.

I didn't expect him to beat the living shit out of him mind you, but I definitely expected a good chance of an upset.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post

Quintero and Ponce De Leon the signs were clearly there but I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

After a passed it Pauli, a fight that for any elite fighter would have been a brutal beat down but instead was an either way fight where he struggled with output. I knew from then Broner was going no where.

When he signed to fight Maidana, all I thought was Maidana is going to by far the biggest guy he's ever fought, by FAR the biggest puncher he's ever fought, and there's no way that he isn't going to land and land consistently.

I didn't expect him to beat the living shit out of him mind you, but I definitely expected a good chance of an upset.
          Overall, it was poetic justice. Broner must be one of the most ****** athletes I've ever seen. I never heard anything intelligent coming out of his mouth.

Comment

I forgot an important one: Hector Camacho vs Edwin Rosario.

After risking being knocked out by El Chapo, Camacho started fighting scared, and never changed his attitude until the end of his career.

Comment

Tarver knocking out Roy Jones was already mentioned but it deserves another one. I'm not sure 1 single punch ever had an effect this severe on career and legacy. Jones would have a string of knockout losses, became completely tentative and completely changed as a fighter for the worse. And he went from "P4P GOAT" to barely being mentioned nowadays. I think part of what made it so bad was because Jones got cracked while he was having his best success against Tarver in the rematch and he was really opening up.

Comment

I forgot an important one: Hector Camacho vs Edwin Rosario.

After risking being knocked out by El Chapo, Camacho started fighting scared, and never changed his attitude until the end of his career.
                I want to half disagree.

I agree he fought scared against Rosario and if that had been 15 rounds (it was the WBC first 12 round championship fight I think,) Rosario would have won the fight maybe even stopped him.

Ater that fight he fought Boza-Edwards and refused to engage that night almost completely. But Bramble had just blown the big fight by losing to Rosario earlier in the night. So by the time Camacho fought he just wasn't into it.

After that Camacho just simply got outsized (by his own doing) and when out muscled, he started grabbing.

The two Haugen fights showed he could still fight as with the Leonard fisaco.

He has several second teir scalps after Rosario as well, e.g. Paz, Davis Jr., Arroyo, Kirkland, Lawlor.

Plus competitive loses to Chavez and Del La Hoya.

I don't think Rosario took Camacho's soul that night. Camacho continued to fight when he wasn't being out muscled.

I think the Trinidad fight was the bottom for him. He embarrassed himself that night.
                Last edited by Willie Pep 229; 02-14-2024, 07:53 PM.
                Tatabanya Tatabanya likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
                  Tarver knocking out Roy Jones was already mentioned but it deserves another one. I'm not sure 1 single punch ever had an effect this severe on career and legacy. Jones would have a string of knockout losses, became completely tentative and completely changed as a fighter for the worse. And he went from "P4P GOAT" to barely being mentioned nowadays. I think part of what made it so bad was because Jones got cracked while he was having his best success against Tarver in the rematch and he was really opening up.
                  - - Lucky Tarver punch.

Roy was talking retirement before the Ruiz fight. Then he was looking for $100 mil for his WBC defense that never was even a pipe dream.

He whooped Tarver fair and square the first fight, just not with his typical flair. At that point he could've gone to Germany for a career purse vs Dariusz who was 48-0, 22-0, 19 KO in title fights ready to tie Rocky's 49-0.

Net result of being invincible clouded his judgement when everyone knows he hung on years past his best for no good reason other than he was addicted to boxing. Tarver was shyte that Roy slipped on, nothing more.

Comment

So this means when someone is destroyed and their career is never the same? I thought it meant when they were just badly knocked out cold. Because I see that being most early opponents of guys like Liston, Foreman, Tyson, Julian Jackson. McCallum-Curry was a nice KO win too. Marciano-Walcott 1. I guess when Sergio Martinez knocked out Paul Williams as well. Although Williams wasn't more cautious, he probably should've been because then he later was caught plenty by Lara and escaped with a gift MD win. I was a Williams fan, but even I knew that was some bad scoring.

Comment

Chavez-Duplesses

Comment

Working...
                      X