Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Mayweather in the running for GOAT?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mayweather was the Meadow Lark Lemon of boxing. It was not really a serious career, but one essentially of exhibitions that conned people with under-built brains. He was about as fun to watch as pavement.
    Last edited by The Old LefHook; 09-11-2022, 03:58 AM.

Comment

Mayweather's success is the success of the traditional old school medicine bag of boxing tools.

Learned at a young age from his father, who in turn learned those skills in Michigan training camps run by a 70+ year old trainer.

Transported as if by a time machine into the modern era and used to dominate it.
      dreamroom dreamroom likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
        Floyd had agreed to everything in 2009 to fight Pacquiao. And it was Pacquiao who walked away because stricter drug testing was requested... that will forever be a stain on the Filipino.

For most of his career Floyd didn't have the power to make fights with Oscar or Mosley on his time table, they were the A-sides. They only fought him when they were good and ready to.

Bob Arum kept Cotto away from Floyd when both were at Top Rank because the young Puerto Rican wasn't ready and needed to marinate. Arum also said that the money Floyd wanted wasn't there for a De La Hoya fight. So Floyd bought out his contract, left Arum, and went on to turn himself into the most financially successful boxer in history. Never again fighting any Top Rank fighters until Pacquiao.

Do I think he is the GOAT? No. That's Sugar Ray Robinson. But if you're going to criticize Floyd then at least get the story straight.

He did remove 49-0 from the boxing hall of records at least. Something that needed doing in my opinion, as that mark excessively flattered Marciano and too many people used it to overinflate his actual ability and reputation.
        - - Manny made the date, but not the venue because it was booked by l'l floydy who was markedly incommunicado up the Vegas hills when Manny sliced, diced, and skewered Big Clottey whom l'l floydy and everyone else save Marg were ducking. 45,000 fans packed in the New Cowboy Stadium debut.

Guess U was blowing smoke up U petticoats whilst waiting for Godot to show up dragging l'l floydy into the MGM ring to make a squeaky clean fight.

Comment

I’ve got him about 7 p4p all time. His record is exceptional and he hardly looked like losing the last few years. What counts against him is his crafty way of having everything in his favour and on his own terms. Tbh tho I’m a sport as ruthless as boxing it’s impressive he managed that.

my top 10

greb
          robinson
          langford
          charles
          Duran
          Manny
          floyd
          leonard
          moore
          Ali

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post

Yea there is . . . So your audience doesn't walk out on you; so you don't drive an entire younger generation to MMA.

The GOAT has dove the gme0 into boredom. Bout after bout we watched him prove over and over every talents you listed above. Then three fat wanna be told us how wonderful he was.

You are very correct there was no reason for him to RISK anything, you would give him your money no matter how boreing he was.

Great boxer, second reate prize fighter.

But just my opinion.
            I think you're conflating being a great boxer with being a great entertainer. I see the same with baseball. I used to love to watch Koufax v Gibson, or a Palmer v McLain game. I would rather see a 2-0 shut out than a 11-9 "barn burner". Some say that's boring. I'd posit that most find it boring, Hence the smaller strike zones and closer fences. "Chicks dig the long ball. Me, I prefer the 95 MPH fast ball on the corner, brush back pitch, and 4-6-3 DP. Football, give me "3 yards and a cloud of dust". And for the youngsters out there, bored with the fight "game" don't worry, there are plenty of "fighters" with poor defense, tomato cans and sluggers out there these days to entertain. Or hell, just watch a Rocky movie. And remember, you don't play boxing. lol JMHO
            ShoulderRoll ShoulderRoll likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Floyd Sinclair
              If you go by who is the best ever at hitting their opponent while taking the least amount of punches in return, Mayweather has a case in my opinion
              In a nutshell, that's boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                Mayweather's success is the success of the traditional old school medicine bag of boxing tools.

Learned at a young age from his father, who in turn learned those skills in Michigan training camps run by a 70+ year old trainer.

Transported as if by a time machine into the modern era and used to dominate it.
                Beautiful way to put it! Mike Tyson and Floyd both benefitted from old school coaching they received and perfected. Mike the "peek-a-boo" and Floyd the "Philly shell" from his dad. I think to appreciate Floyd fully, one must consider the whole of his training regimen. He trained like a fiend, both skill wise and conditioning wise. Rocky's greatness was also a direct result of his conditioning. I would say Floyd is the most complete fighter there is, when it comes to the four scoring benchmarks and training/conditioning.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post

You know, it's funny. When I say the same thing on here, I get attacked and criticized. Nice to know others finally agree with me. Maybe the next time, some of you can come to my defense? First certain opponents like Cotto or Margharito were mentioned and he retired after going 39-0. Then when he comes back, he insisted on fighting Marquez at a catchweight. Then Mayweather seemed willing to fight anyone but when the subject of Pacquiao came up it was "only if he takes strict drug testing." Then that's agreed upon, so the guy throws another obstacle at Manny with a money split until 5-6 years go by before the fight happens. If Floyd wanted the fight that bad, he would've done whatever he could to make it happen sooner. But he didn't, so not the GOAT. Talented yes. Maybe even the best of his generation. But Sugar Ray Robinson, he isn't.
                  Wrong.

The money was agreed upon the original negotiation, as was everything else. The fight fell through due to Pacquaio rejecting drug testing, NOTHING ELSE. This has been explained to you by myself before, yet you're repeating it again for some reason.
                  Bravado Bravado likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post

Wrong.

The money was agreed upon the original negotiation, as was everything else. The fight fell through due to Pacquaio rejecting drug testing, NOTHING ELSE. This has been explained to you by myself before, yet you're repeating it again for some reason.
                    - - Manny has never rejected drug testing and never failed a drug test...FACT!!!

Never needed a 2 week backdated Vegas approved TUE and never tested below 90 yr old Arum Testa levels like l'l floydy did...FACT!!! Never butchered the scorecards in the biggest money fight in history where Vegas had to alter the original results to get the results they wanted so they could cash in their multimillion dollar bets.

How many years U been the biggest kid in 3rd grade?

Comment

Working...
                    X