No announcement yet.

Your Top Three Mythical Matchups

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ivich View Post
    While in exile Johnson offered to go to Canada and defend his title against McCarty for promoter Tommy Burns.Burns vetoed the proposition as he wanted his protege Arthur Pelkey to fight McCarty for the White Heavyweight Title.
    - - Burns ain't gonna let JJ fight anyone in his arena unless it was Burns himself. JJ knew that and was just yanking Tommy chain.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- - Burns ain't gonna let JJ fight anyone in his arena unless it was Burns himself. JJ knew that and was just yanking Tommy chain.
      BS as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post

Which means absolutely nothing. Hagler was a small middleweight so nothing new here. He was barely bigger than Duran. All you have to do is watch them fight and you can see Hagler is by far the more skillful and better trained fighter.
        No, No, No, No, No. What the hell are you watching.?

Comment

BS as usual.
          - - JJ asked his judge for permission to return to America to fight McCarty.

Didn't have to ask permission to fight Burns, who like Vitali vs Lewie rematch would publicly ask for the rematch in such a way as to embarrass Lewie. Impossible because Lewie is utterly shameless like you.

Comment

- - JJ asked his judge for permission to return to America to fight McCarty.

Didn't have to ask permission to fight Burns, who like Vitali vs Lewie rematch would publicly ask for the rematch in such a way as to embarrass Lewie. Impossible because Lewie is utterly shameless like you.
            Johnson was on the run in a foreign country, he needed no permission to defend his title in Canada where Canadian Burns promoted his fights, Canada is not under the jurisdiction of the US . I could print Burns public reply to Johnson's offer, but you wouldn't accept it so why waste my time?
            You really make me laugh because you post as though you actually know WTF you're talking about,but we both know that isn't the case don't we! lol
            The Old LefHook The Old LefHook likes this.

Comment

Johnson was on the run in a foreign country, he needed no permission to defend his title in Canada where Canadian Burns promoted his fights, Canada is not under the jurisdiction of the US . I could print Burns public reply to Johnson's offer, but you wouldn't accept it so why waste my time?
              You really make me laugh because you post as though you actually know WTF you're talking about,but we both know that isn't the case don't we! lol
              - - U could print me a $3 dollar bill also, which of course would have nothing to do wif Burns challenging JJ. Another D U H moment for U.

Comment

I am not sure of the timing you two guys are debating regarding JJ and Burns fighting in Canada.

If this cones right after JJ beats Burns for the title in Australia then a Canada fight is viable

But if this comes after JJ's conviction "while he's on the run in a foreign country" then he couldn't have returned to Canada to fight anyone.

Back in June 1913 with JJ out on bail, pending appeal, he runs. Crossing the border into Canada he has a purchased ticket to take him to Great Britian.

The Americans know where he is and so do the Canadians, but Canada refuses to detain JJ because he is only in tranist with legal paperwork allowing him to travel. Had JJ tried to claim asylum in Canada and become a resident the Canadian govt. stated that they would detain him and extradite him back to the States, but refused to detain a legally papered traveler. They felt they held no jurisdiction over him.

Had JJ attempted to stay in Canada they would have detained him. So where Canada's words on the subject.

So it is unlikely after the conviction that JJ could have returned to Canada to fight.

Even as a sovereign nation Canada made it clear they would not allow JJ to stay in Canada.

Once across the pond the British government took a simliar stand, allowing JJ to proceed to France but not allowing him to claim aslyum in Great Britian.

The French on the other hand don't usually give a tinker's damn what the USA wants.

I am open to being corrected on this if anyone has more or different information.
                Last edited by Willie Pep 229; 09-01-2022, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
                  I am not sure of the timing you two guys are debating regarding JJ and Burns fighting in Canada.

If this cones right after JJ beats Burns for the title in Australia then a Canada fight is viable

But if this comes after JJ's conviction "while he's on the run in a foreign country" then he couldn't have returned to Canada to fight anyone.

Back in June 1913 with JJ out on bail, pending appeal, he runs. Crossing the border into Canada he has a purchased ticket to take him to Great Britian.

The Americans know where he is and so do the Canadians, but Canada refuses to detain JJ because he is only in tranist with legal paperwork allowing him to travel. Had JJ tried to claim asylum in Canada and become a resident the Canadian govt. stated that they would detain him and extradite him back to the States, but refused to detain a legally papered traveler. They felt they held no jurisdiction over him.

Had JJ attempted to stay in Canada they would have detained him. So where Canada's words on the subject.

So it is unlikely after the conviction that JJ could have returned to Canada to fight.

Even as a sovereign nation Canada made it clear they would not allow JJ to stay in Canada.

Once across the pond the British government took a simliar stand, allowing JJ to proceed to France but not allowing him to claim aslyum in Great Britian.

The French on the other hand don't usually give a tinker's damn what the USA wants.

I am open to being corrected on this if anyone has more or different information.
                  - - All I know is Tommy built his arena for the express purpose of the JJ rematch and issued a series of challenges.

JJ traveled in a black baseball club railroad car to avoid authorities, so the Canadian Govt might not have even known he was around. They didn't have IDs then and were fairly loose about their border since they were strong allies with the US. So he could've returned to Canada in a traveling circus to be picked up by Tommy to be carted off to his arena.

Comment

- - U could print me a $3 dollar bill also, which of course would have nothing to do wif Burns challenging JJ. Another D U H moment for U.
                    I'm wasting too much time on a trolling fool ,no point dignifying your nonsense with replies so

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post

No, No, No, No, No. What the hell are you watching.?
                      more skilled than GGG, not Duran. see original post

Comment

Working...
                      X