Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Lastarza Had Won The First Marciano Fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Lastarza Had Won The First Marciano Fight?

If Marciano had dropped the decision to Lastarza in their 1 st fight,would he be perceived the same as he is today?
    Their fight was very close.
    Referee: Jack Watson 5-5 | Artie Aidala 4-5 | Arthur Schwartz 5-4
    Under New York's supplemental scoring system referee Watson had Marciano winning 9-6, so Marciano was awarded a split decision.
    LaStarza was down for a seven-count in round four, Marciano lost the eighth round due to a low blow

No, Marciano would NOT be perceived the same as he is today, at least by part of the populous. Marciano was a great fighter, a worthy HOFer, and a legend in so many ways. But his reputation, especially among the fringe fans, is amplified simply by having that '0'.

Some will argue that since he never lost, it proves that he couldn't be beat. Logically fallacious, but still harped on by some. Give Marciano had the exact same career he has now, but add some minor blip loss early in his career (heck say he lost a fight in 1946 by decision before he went on a 49-0 run) and he loses some luster overall in some people's eyes.

The '0' does that for him

Comment

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts it'd be Christmas all year round. I had never seen film of him before, he looked like a good boxer with little power. And this guy took on the Rock, for the first time, when he was only 20 years old. ............Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by DeeMoney View Post
        No, Marciano would NOT be perceived the same as he is today, at least by part of the populous. Marciano was a great fighter, a worthy HOFer, and a legend in so many ways. But his reputation, especially among the fringe fans, is amplified simply by having that '0'.

Some will argue that since he never lost, it proves that he couldn't be beat. Logically fallacious, but still harped on by some. Give Marciano had the exact same career he has now, but add some minor blip loss early in his career (heck say he lost a fight in 1946 by decision before he went on a 49-0 run) and he loses some luster overall in some people's eyes.

Very well put excellent post!

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin'1 View Post
          If ifs and buts were candy and nuts it'd be Christmas all year round. I had never seen film of him before, he looked like a good boxer with little power. And this guy took on the Rock, for the first time, when he was only 20 years old. ............Rockin'
          Just 2 months short of 23 actually..
          ps A major part of Historical Boxing Forums is matching up boxers in a," what if ,"situation.
          Last edited by Ivich; 06-16-2022, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivich View Post

Just 2 months short of 23 actually..
            ps A major part of Historical Boxing Forums is matching up boxers in a," what if ,"situation.
            Oh, I guess I had that in my mind from a video game simulation that they played in place of the fight. Is there footage of the first bout, I'd be interested in seeing it. Good catch..............Rockin'
            Last edited by Rockin'1; 06-16-2022, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeMoney View Post

I do think the 0 does him give him an air... But I also believe that Marciano had some special qualities. Looked at from a pure technical perspective the best analogy for marciano would be an "Idiot Savante." Some of us here have empathy lol. I have reading comprehension and other verbal reasoning skills that are objectively off the charts... yet? for years I could not line up columns to do basic math... I look at Marciano in similar fashion in that all he did was a way to highlight his abilities... And he was wildly successful doing so. That big 0 gave him the special sauce, the icing, the cherry.... errr you get the idea.

To be fair to Marciano he really does not appear prima facea to have gotten more breaks than other fighters... All great fighters got a few in their direction lol...

Comment

Assuming he was still able to get a shot at Walcott after the loss, it wouldn't have matter to his contemporaries. He still would have been a popular, if not loved champion.

That loss and its affect on his legacy would only matter to boxing forum geeks.

The importance of the 'zero' is in the eye of the evaluator.

Comment

In some people's eyes yes, in others no. For the ones that don't, they wouldn't know much about boxing though. Even with the 0, people discredit Rocky. Who did he not fight? And if not, why did he not fight them? Patterson was a light heavyweight until Marciano retired. Sonny Liston was still up and coming and didn't become #1 contender until 1960.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                    In some people's eyes yes, in others no. For the ones that don't, they wouldn't know much about boxing though. Even with the 0, people discredit Rocky. Who did he not fight? And if not, why did he not fight them? Patterson was a light heavyweight until Marciano retired. Sonny Liston was still up and coming and didn't become #1 contender until 1960.
                    Well Valdes was the number 1 contender in1953 and 1954 ,Marciano didn't fight him ,he defended against the guy Valdes had beaten, Charles,twice.

Comment

Working...
                    X