Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Robinson didn't KO Fullmer whilst moving backwards.It's a myth started by shortsighted careless viewers.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robinson didn't KO Fullmer whilst moving backwards.It's a myth started by shortsighted careless viewers.

The story has it that Sugar Ray Robinson was such a great KO artist that he could knock you out going backwards. The 2bd Fullmer fight is always given as the perfct example of a back-moving KO.

It was a beautiful punch, but Robinson was not moving backwards, he was moving forwards.

He had just been avoiding a Fullmer body "rt hand swing", and moved back a couple of steps. Fullmer followed him, and Robinson quickly moved 2 steps FORWARD , planted his left foot and delivered that beautiful left hook KO..

Check it out. I've seen it a dozen times, always the same .

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
    The story has it that Sugar Ray Robinson was such a great KO artist that he could knock you out going backwards. The 2bd Fullmer fight is always given as the perfct example of a back-moving KO.

It was a beautiful punch, but Robinson was not moving backwards, he was moving forwards.

He had just been avoiding a Fullmer body "rt hand swing", and moved back a couple of steps. Fullmer followed him, and Robinson quickly moved 2 steps FORWARD , planted his left foot and delivered that beautiful left hook KO..

- - Sounds like your revision fantasy has got the best of you.
    billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

There must be some other examples.

Comment

That is indeed what happen, you could argue that he stepped back and then hit him, sort of luring his oponent backwards. As far as physicality goes its not really possible to deliver a proper punch “whilst in the process of moving backwards. Although I swear Ali came pretty damn close vs Cleveland Williams.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post

That is indeed what happen, you could argue that he stepped back and then hit him, sort of luring his opponent backwards. As far as physicality s its not really possible to deliver a proper punch;whilst in the process of moving backwards. Although I swear Ali came pretty damn close vs Cleveland Williams.
          I'm glad you agree. There are some, like the guy just above, who don't look properly at anything. Robinson actually was eluding a right arm swing from Fullmer and moved backwards away from it. Fullmer followed him . Robinson then very smoothly did a quick 2 step forward move with his left hook at the end of it. He was moving FORWARD. You rightly say that it can't be done moving backwards.

As fpr Ali and poor old Cleveland, that was a farce. Poor Williams was less than a year out of hospital, where he died on the operating table 3 times, lost 12 ft. of lower intestine, spleen a kidney, a few other organs, and still had splinters of a bullet in his hip which half paralysed his leg.

He was washed up as a top fighter, and Ali had no right to fight him. It was shameful. But Celveland's manager Hugh Benbow took bad advantage of him and saw he could make money with this fight, which he did, left Williams penniless and we know he had diabetes badly as well. Poor guy. You should read what his widow says about it all. Suchb a nice, simple pair, No resentment, just plain facts. They were both very simple and trusting, and crafty, ruthless Benbow was a hard, tough millionaire who loved many, not his boxers.

After Cleveland got out of the hospital, from his 6 months stay there, Benbow took him down to his farm, and used him as unpaid labour until he made a few set-up fights for him. He won, of course so that gave him the opening to make the Ali fight. So 18 months ater his near death injuries he was fighting the World Champion, against whom he had NO chance. After all Benbow's "deductions" I don't think Williams had more than a few thousand dollars to his name. Very few...Benbow exploited and victimised him, especially when he knew he was no longer a top fighter........

All cleverly done, and the only one who suffered was Cleveland Williams.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- - Sounds like your revision fantasy has got the best of you.
            You are one ****** guy. Just LOOK ...really LOOK , at the video. It's so obvious that you'd have to be blind not to see it. LOOK..at the damned 5th rd. It's on Youtube freely available. Robinson threw all his punches correctly and would never throw a KO left hook moving backwards, with such a huge opening going to waste.

After you REALLY look at it, then come back and apologise...if you're a man. I can accept errors in good faith. "Revisionist"...Pah. I saw it when it happened, all those years ago. too. A beautiful punch, on a par with Patterson's lovely leaping left hook that KO'd Johansen. Patterson did it twice in the same round, the first a KD, second one being the finisher. Beautiful...!!
            Last edited by edgarg; 05-29-2022, 10:53 PM. Reason: typo, missed letter.

Comment

I agree. Does not seem to be moving backwards at the time when he's punching.

abouts :40 in the video.

Comment

Love this KO

Never saw people talking about this being a KO while moving backwards though....

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post

I agree. Does not seem to be moving backwards at the time when he's punching.

abouts :40 in the video.
                  It's such an epic KO.

Note how Robinson hits him with the exact same punch at the 10 sec. mark. He then knew he could land the shot. 30 secs later it was all over.

Comment

You are one ****** guy. Just LOOK ...really LOOK , at the video. It's so obvious that you'd have to be blind not to see it. LOOK..at the damned 5th rd. It's on Youtube freely available. Robinson threw all his punches correctly and would never throw a KO left hook moving backwards, with such a huge opening going to waste.

After you REALLY look at it, then come back and apologise...if you're a man. I can accept errors in good faith. "Revisionist"...Pah. I saw it when it happened, all those years ago. too. A beautiful punch, on a par with Patterson's lovely leaping left hook that KO'd Johansen. Patterson did it twice in the same round, the first a KD, second one being the finisher. Beautiful...!!
                    - - Seems like U perception be off, like way off.

Ray moves backwards to lure Gene in, sets and punches with his right anchor foot doing a mini hop off the original landing spot. In real time in the ring it looks pretty seamless, and even in the slower tape it's damn near seamless.

I could deliver most any punch in the book going backwards as I used to do on my heavybag all the time.

I also practiced Ali's one punch Anchor Punch showed him by Stepin Fetchit using his exact footwork if we want to talk about an impossible ko punch. Zero power off balance flying backwards, but it was delivered as Sonny missed a big left hook leaving him stooped and off balance already moving to the canvas. Ali caught him on the temple with a little snap at the end he put on all his cutting punches and the rest a Three Stooges 3 ring circus act.

Comment

Working...
                    X