No announcement yet.

Boxer quotes thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    “Langford is consistent,has the punch,knows the game and could whip them all right now,one after the other. Johnson knows this and is sidestepping his fellow fighter at every turn of the road.”

John L Sullivan ​
    This reminds me of a few guys avoiding Jab in here.
    JAB5239 JAB5239 likes this.

Comment

• Some quotes from Marvelous Marvin Hagler

Every fighter has got be dedicated, learn how to sacrifice, know what the devotion is all about, make sure you âre paying attention and studying your art.

There are a lot of things and in order to be at the top and maintain your focus you have to have something that motivates you. For me, it was what I perceived as a lack of respect from the boxing world as well as the media, which made me want to work so hard and be great.

A champion shows who he is by what he does when hes tested. When a person gets up and says I can still do it, hes a champion.

I like to see the smiles on peoples faces when I show them I can do the impossible.

The only difference between street fighting and boxing is there a ref there stopping me from killing you.

I am a fighter who walks, talks and thinks fighting but I try not to look like it.

When you knock people out, its sometimes a very scary situation â but I always hoped that no one got seriously hurt. Now when I see them get knocked out, I laugh. When you finish the game, its funny. And when I look at film of myself, I think, wouldnt fight that guy.

The likes of Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran, Tommy Hearns were true champions. There were some incredible fights between us, and I was happy to give them all an opportunity to fight me.

Nothing can intimidate me. I just go out and destruct and destroy.

Its tough to get out of bed to do roadwork at 5am when youve been sleeping in silk pajamas.

If they cut my bald head open, they will find one big boxing glove. Thats all I am. I live it.

When a man goes into the ring, hes going to war.

Last edited by JAB5239; 05-23-2023, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Some quotes from Marvelous Marvin Hagler

Every fighter has got be dedicated, learn how to sacrifice, know what the devotion is all about, make sure you âre paying attention and studying your art.

There are a lot of things and in order to be at the top and maintain your focus you have to have something that motivates you. For me, it was what I perceived as a lack of respect from the boxing world as well as the media, which made me want to work so hard and be great.

A champion shows who he is by what he does when hes tested. When a person gets up and says I can still do it, hes a champion.

I like to see the smiles on peoples faces when I show them I can do the impossible.

The only difference between street fighting and boxing is there a ref there stopping me from killing you.

I am a fighter who walks, talks and thinks fighting but I try not to look like it.

When you knock people out, its sometimes a very scary situation â but I always hoped that no one got seriously hurt. Now when I see them get knocked out, I laugh. When you finish the game, its funny. And when I look at film of myself, I think, wouldnt fight that guy.

The likes of Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran, Tommy Hearns were true champions. There were some incredible fights between us, and I was happy to give them all an opportunity to fight me.

Nothing can intimidate me. I just go out and destruct and destroy.

Its tough to get out of bed to do roadwork at 5am when youve been sleeping in silk pajamas.

If they cut my bald head open, they will find one big boxing glove. Thats all I am. I live it.

When a man goes into the ring, hes going to war.

His quote about the silk pajamas is often replicated to this day

Comment

• “Cowboy Jess was heavyweight champion of the world, and he was a giant. Moreover, he was a perfectly proportioned giant. He was every
          inch an athlete. He tapered down beautifully from derrick-like shoulders, and his muscles were so smooth you could scarcely see them rippling
          under his sun-tanned skin. He towered six feet, six inches and a quarter. He weighed 245 pounds. In comparison I shaped up like an infant or a dwarf although I nudged past six feet and scaled 180 pounds. My weight was announced as 187 pounds; but actually I registered only 180. As I looked across the ring at Willard, I said to myself, "Jeez! What a mountain I've got to blast down this time!" I knew about blasting-about dynamite. I had learned about dynamite in the mines of Colorado, Utah and Nevada, where I had worked off and on for about six years. And I knew plenty about dynamite in fighting. I had made a study of fistic dynamite since I was seven years old. That was when I had my first fist-fight, with a boy about my own size, in Manassa, Colorado. I was born at Manassa and spent my early years there. Before I fought Willard, my manager-Jack (Doc) Kearns-already had nicknamed me "Jack the Giant-Killer" because I had belted out such big fellows as Carl Morris and Fred Fulton. They were big men all right, but neither had appeared such an awesome giant as Willard did that
          sweltering afternoon. I had trained for Willard at the Overland Club on Maumee Bay, an inlet of Lake Erie. Nearly every day Kearns and Trainer Jimmy Deforest reported that I was shaping up much better than Willard. But when I saw big Jess across the ring, without an ounce of fat on his huge frame, I wondered if Kearns and Deforest had been bringing me
          pleasant but false reports to bolster my courage. I won't say I was scared as I gazed at Willard, but I'll admit I began to wonder if I packed
          enough dynamite to blast the man-mountain down.

-Jack Dempsey

Comment

• "Duran always disturbs me. The guy is just weird. Before our first fight, both Duran AND HIS WIFE gave my wife the finger."

-Sugar Ray Leonard on ROBERTO DURAN
            The D3vil The D3vil likes this.

Comment

• "They call Ray Robinson the best fighter pound for pound. I'm the best fighter ounce for ounce." ~ Willie Pep

Comment

"Duran always disturbs me. The guy is just weird. Before our first fight, both Duran AND HIS WIFE gave my wife the finger."

-Sugar Ray Leonard on ROBERTO DURAN
                No, not Felicidad

XZU6Prx.gif

Comment

Working...
                X