Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxer quotes thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'I'm not immortal, I'm not unbeatable. Barrera was the pure winner of this fight. He fought better than I did, and that's it, plain and simple.' -

Naseem Hamed

Comment

• Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
      Floyd has said this many times, as have I. "You don't know sheeit 'bout no boxing". I am not insinuating that I am on Floyds level, but you can not dispute that I have said it and that he's said it too. And in 99%+ of the cases, we are right about that fact. ..............Rockin'
      what was the Roger Mayweather quote? There is a famous Mim, It may have simply been "you don't know s h i t about boxing, though I thought it was more fluid sounding.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
        'Sometimes I don't understand the new breed. So many of them want instant fame like instant coffee.'

- Rocky Marciano
        Ill bet the original quote was "Sanka" instead of instant coffee. during the rock's time, the whole instant coffee industry was controlled by Sanka, they cornered the market! people asked for it, it may have been the only instant coffee at the time.
        [Content is Protected, Please Register For Free To Unlock This Content]

Comment

• 'I didn't like the 'Bum of The Month' bit going around. Those guys I fought were not bums. They were hard working professionals trying to make a dollar, too. I knew the training they went through, and I knew the dreams they had. No different from me. I respected every man I fought. It's no easy job getting up in that ring; you got to have a special kind of balls. You can get killed, damage your body for life, or you might win the big prize.'

- Joe Louis

Comment

'I didn't like the 'Bum of The Month' bit going around. Those guys I fought were not bums. They were hard working professionals trying to make a dollar, too. I knew the training they went through, and I knew the dreams they had. No different from me. I respected every man I fought. It's no easy job getting up in that ring; you got to have a special kind of balls. You can get killed, damage your body for life, or you might win the big prize.'

- Joe Louis
            This is an amazing quotation. Can you recommend any good books on Joe Louis?

Comment

• 'When I was a young fellow I was knocked down plenty. I wanted to stay down, but I couldn’t. I had to collect the two dollars for winning or go hungry. I had to get up. I was one of those hungry fighters. You could have hit me on the chin with a sledgehammer for five dollars. When you haven’t eaten for two days you’ll understand.'

- Jack Dempsey

Comment

• 'I have to believe that when things are bad I can change them.'

- James J Braddock

Comment

• Originally posted by travestyny View Post

This is an amazing quotation. Can you recommend any good books on Joe Louis?
                  I particularly liked "Joe Louis: my life" by Art Rust. Haven't read it in years, but I'm sure I have it around somewhere. There was another one I don't recall the name of that was good, but I thought the book by Rust was exceptional. There is a lot out the about the Brown Bomber. Try that one first though if you're interested.

Comment

I particularly liked "Joe Louis: my life" by Art Rust. Haven't read it in years, but I'm sure I have it around somewhere. There was another one I don't recall the name of that was good, but I thought the book by Rust was exceptional. There is a lot out the about the Brown Bomber. Try that one first though if you're interested.
                    Great. Good looking out, brotha!

Comment

• 'Tyson and Don King actually came to one of my fights. They made their presence known by sitting front row, and I had just knocked my opponent out, not just out cold but out of the ring as well, and he got his foot caught on the ring apron and went crashing out to the floor.

Eventually, he got up, but I finished it off pretty quick and then I ran over to Tyson and told him that I would knock him out in the same way I had just knocked that opponent out, and Tyson replied, 'Bring it on'.

A week later and they called me up to come in as a sparring partner, and when I walked in through the door, they recognised me straight away and called for me to get in the ring next.

I got in the ring and my manager Elijah Thomas was shaking whilst helping to lace up the gloves; he was more nervous than I was. As soon as the bell went, I clocked him with an overhand right which got his respect straightaway, and after that sparring session, they increased my pay to $500 from then until the day that I resigned from being his sparring partner.

I learnt a hell of a lot from the years sparring with Tyson and I have nothing but respect for him and what he achieved in the sport. He was the small guy fighting giants and dispatching them easily; he is certainly one of the best to ever do it.'

- Oliver McCall

Comment

Working...
                      X