No announcement yet.

Guys had to share this here. Karate video 1968

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
    You know the movie the wanderers? There is a gigantic, fierce looking guy. You would recognize him in an instant: The guy is a professional opera singer, had an IQ of over 160 or so... lol, same kind of thing.
    Oh yeah, he was also in The Running Man. Dynamo. "Cut. Go to commercial."

Comment

these guys wouldnt beat high level boxers. they get caught eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
        these guys wouldnt beat high level boxers. they get caught eventually.
        Wrestling and Boxing evolved in a ring. Tactics, techniques and social mores were all conditioned in the ring.

Here is a great example of what that means regarding your statement: I was training my son last evening and showing him a front kick. In America, given the what we see, how we fight etc you will find that people naturally do this kick either from the rear leg, or with a step in...both which are inefficient and wrong. Why wrong? Because when you take a step first you telegraph and when you kick from the back you give the person time to respond and lose distance because the kick first has to travel to the front (a stance length or so) before releasing.

I proceeded to show him how the kick looks in classical JuJutsu systems, where it is thrown from the front with no step, and using body weight coming up. The kick is faster, untelegraphed and will catch the groin in the blink of the eye, or catch the body and crush in with the force of kicking a door.

So why did ancient Japanese guys kick that way? Why don't we think to kick that way? It is a lot of reasons: Socially most karate we see is through a spar, an exchange, done at a distance where the kicks are thrown from the outside where they are easy to defend, and punches are thrown from the stepping. Thats how you get a sparring match!

Now if I want a spar, boxing is the most natural way to do so with the hands... mobility, speed and hitting your opponent at the same basic distance is prized. If I want to grapple, the best way to set it up is for both people to take a grab. It gives people equal access to winning in both these situations above.

The idea of equal access, an equal opportunity, rules, are social conventions. they may work well because they encourage skills, but the skills still partially depend on social mores.

The way I was showing my son to kick is much easier if, from an early age, you were taught to use leg strength to rise up, and sit in a kneeling posture. As a matter of fact, most Samurai as children only had to do what was social... sitting properly, getting up from seated position and watching the things in their belt... to train until they were around 14 or so, when they would just start to learn about the sword. Guess what? this sitting and rising also determined why it was easy for them to use this same movement to kick.

So my point is, whenever someone enters a ring and agrees to throw hands, boxing will result. Karate is not, has never been a natural skill to learn... This is a relative drawback. For example, blocking is not natural...and what boxer does so? But for karate it has a purpose.

The superiority of one set of skills cannot be divorced from these circumstances. In a combat environment like the street, Karate, Judo, Boxing, Ju Jutsu, wrestling, all have various advantages and disadvantages, especially when considering weapons! In a ring the grappler has the easiest time because all he has to do is use tactile awareness, the boxer is probably the next equipped because he can throw punches with gloves on at an opponent trying to do the same, or trying to strike him with hands... However when we add feet, it gets more interesting! A good kicker equipped for the ring can catch a boxer with enough force to kill, or KO the boxer.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
          Oh yeah, he was also in The Running Man. Dynamo. "Cut. Go to commercial."
          Arnold - TKO by Fire

Comment

Working...
          X