No announcement yet.

Guys had to share this here. Karate video 1968

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
    - -I'll put it this way, I knew anocdotely about various disciplines, so I signed up for an extended after hours Tai Chi course.

I wanted the elemental discipline and grace of what I understood to be the oldest martial art in the East.

First class just going thru the balance of various forms and then speeding them into more fluidity.

Took a pamphlet home to study an work on that I didn't because I was taking full 16 hr of science courses while working nights at the adolescent unit of the state mental institutions, so next week he pulled me out front to demonstrate last week.

On the spot big time, so I started and muscle memory carried me through flawlessly and everyone clapped.

Much relieved, I returned to class and he announced our spars, and keep in mind there were women who thankfully were assigned women. He showed us the offensive and defensive forms he wanted, and then we started our non contact spar.

I successfully carried out my offense to his defense, but in his turn he strayed from script and deliberately drop kicked my groin before a fake apology.

I was so steamed up at deliberately offering up myself in such a ****** martial arts pose to be savaged by a worm I could throttle with one hand, well, let's just say that was my last class.

I did get a lot out of it no matter how brief as my instructor was most excellent, a rarity in the public unis.
    Queen B very few people know how to use Tai Chi as a combat art, yet many teachers claim to do so. I doubt from what you are describing that this teacher has the ability to teach the art as a combat form.

Heres a take away: Forms in the older arts generally are used as a precursor for combat...However they are two person...What is sometimes called Ipon Kumite in Karate. You work on the techniques with a resisting partner, and yes...develop the proper muscle memory. When done properly there is virtually no extra force needed, and when force is applied, it is applied with extreme leverage.

I had a friend who claimed combat Tai Chi roots and I just went "um hum, ok."

Comment

Originally posted by VegasMichael View Post
      Give me a guy who has trained regularly for a year in boxing and wrestling and put him against a karate guy who has been training regularly for ten years and I'll take the boxer/wrestler.
      It all depends on the style of karate. I trained in Chinese Goju with the sensei also incorporating some of the techniques of American Combat Karate which Richie Barathy made famous. This type of karate does better in street fights than others. Ten years in American combat Karate and you would destroy boxers and wrestlers with a year of training.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
        TKD tourneys were their own thing. Joon Rhe was instrumental in making some of the events more mainstream. Henry Chow in New York City was another one who made the art, the events more mainstream. Throughout the years Korean karate confused many people. It was on the onset, organized according to schools, called "kwans." Kwans came out of when Karate was introduced into Korea. Tang Soo Do, which translates as "Karate" was basically karate with longer stances. Chuck Norris was the main student in this art, which he learned in the air Force. The art uses the same kata as Shotokan which is Japanese karate.

Tae Kwon Do has a few "kwans" we used to fight the Moo Dyuk Kwan guys who were hard linear punchers... But most of the groups emphasize high kicking and incorporate Tae Kyon, a folk art of foot fighting that is indigineous to Korea.

Then you have Hap Ki Do which combines the AikiJutsu of Sokeda, which was taught to a Korean student, and karate techniques. Bohg Su Han of Billy Jack fame was the main teacher for this art. He learned in a monastery according to him lol. Then we have Hwang Do made famous by Michael Innis, a for hire soldger of fortune. This art was supposed to be a type of Ninpo... emphasizing pressure points, throws, weapons...Never cared for it much frankly.

Finally we have Kook Sul Wan, which is a kwan emphasizing Chinese Kung Fu like movements, and art.

These are the most well known Kwans, but there are many. The training can vary in quality from exceptional to really bad. The Mu Duk Kwan guys we fought could fight. They did not do much but what they did do, they did well. Straight reverse punches, low kicks, fast foot sweeps... We also fought some Korean special forces guys who looked really sloppy but we were told they looked that way deliberately not to give anything away...Lol.
        Kook Sul Wan? I think there was a fighter in one of the UFC tournaments that claimed to use that style but didn't do too well. Guess he couldn't stop a takedown in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
          Queen B very few people know how to use Tai Chi as a combat art, yet many teachers claim to do so. I doubt from what you are describing that this teacher has the ability to teach the art as a combat form.

Heres a take away: Forms in the older arts generally are used as a precursor for combat...However they are two person...What is sometimes called Ipon Kumite in Karate. You work on the techniques with a resisting partner, and yes...develop the proper muscle memory. When done properly there is virtually no extra force needed, and when force is applied, it is applied with extreme leverage.

I had a friend who claimed combat Tai Chi roots and I just went "um hum, ok."
          - -Never claimed the class as a form of combat nor did my instructor.

However it had combat origins.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
            Kook Sul Wan? I think there was a fighter in one of the UFC tournaments that claimed to use that style but didn't do too well. Guess he couldn't stop a takedown in the end.
            Many fighters went into those with no common sense. Its never been about style. If I told someone who was a great chef to go in to a fine patiserie and make scrumptious pastry, I dare say he would not declare "no problem i can cook how hard can this baking thing be?" Yet so many guys who never practiced a grapple in their lives did the equivalent. Of course the grapplers figured out pretty quickly that they could grab a striker before a striker could get set to catch them, if they just went in properly and the rest is history.

Besides what people forget is that telling a "striker" your going into a ring with refs, will make him mostly nervous. Tell that same striker 'see that guy across from you? he likes to **** little girls like your daughter and he has plans for her.' i can guarantee that you would see a qualitative difference in how the striker approached the grappler...there would be a lot more hits, hits to the back and neck when grabbed, bites, and...well you get the picture.

tournaments are social contracts. They are not the same as fighting for your life, or to protect those you love...some of the skills do overlap, but there are differences the way your body moves, responds, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
              - -Never claimed the class as a form of combat nor did my instructor.

However it had combat origins.
              I misunderstood your reference to sparring.

Comment

Comment

This is pretty sweet to be fair.

Comment

As a side note I did Karate for about a week when I was 11 or something, don't know anything about it, I just viewed this thread and then these videos start appearing on my Facebook, kinda wild.

Comment

A Muay Thai stylist makes mincemeat out of most karate guys in a a streetfight. The K-1 tournaments pretty much settled the issue: in a punching and kicking contest kickboxing comes out on top.

Comment

Working...
                      X