Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What current mma fighter would have the balls to stand with a boxer in the octagon???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would a boxer have the balls to grapple with an MMA fighter in an MMA fight? Probably not either because, like with any sport or anything in life, you play to your strengths and when you know your opponent has a weakness, you exploit that weakness, especially when the opponent's weakness is your strength, like in the early days of MMA when all the grapplers knew they could take down and submit any striker, until the strikers learned grappling, submissions and takedown defense, started cross training until the sport evolved into what we have today.

That's why Royce took down Art Jimmerson and Couture took down James Toney, because they were grapplers and knew their opponents weren't. There are many other examples of this as well. Boxing fans need to understand this.

Comment

Originally posted by tocayito1 View Post
      marcus davis was a horrible boxer. any body can have a record like his when they fight nobodies. go look up the records of the guys hes fought
      He had a good record. At the rate he was going, he would have been a belt holder at the least. 20 fights and 1 loss. He would have held a title if he didn't convert to mma.

Anyways the topic was about MMA fighters, standing with boxers in an mma fight. I have given examples of this.

Now if you want to say, a top boxer. Then the question has to change.

Does an elite/top boxer have the balls to fight mma? Because the ball is in the boxer's court at that point.

You can ask every ufc fighter if they would fight a boxer in mma. They would all literally say yes. Sean Sherk and Dana confronted Floyd about this and Floyd back pedaled. I doubt you would find many boxers who would say yes to that same question.
      Last edited by F l i c k e r; 05-11-2013, 11:25 AM.

Comment

That's exactly the point. The question isnt would an mma fighter stand with a pro boxer and win, its who would stand and theirs plenty of mma fighters who would for at the very least a good portion of the fight.

I still think Dos Santos would kick John Ruiz or Valeus assass

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
          He had a good record. At the rate he was going, he would have been a belt holder at the least. 20 fights and 1 loss. He would have held a title if he didn't convert to mma.

Anyways the topic was about MMA fighters, standing with boxers in an mma fight. I have given examples of this.

Does an elite/top boxer have the balls to fight mma? Because the ball is in the boxer's court at that point.

You can ask every ufc fighter if they would fight a boxer in mma. They would all literally say yes. Sean Sherk and Dana confronted Floyd about this and Floyd back pedaled. I doubt you would find many boxers who would say yes to that same question.
          And, Floyd rightly denied.

It isn't a question about balls, it is a question of smart business decisions.

Floyd is actually looking like a genius right now (Floyd and his crew, anyway).

He has become potentially the best paid athlete in sports. That is something quite extraordinary.

We can have this thread be though a legitimate discussion thread, or a fantasy fights thread.

I'm more interested in having it be a legitimate discussion thread, where we discuss reality. There is ample reality to discuss.

Comment

Originally posted by Mugicha View Post
            Look at this poser.

So you claim you paid for a couple jiu jitsu lessons at Cesar Gracie's. Is that suppose to be impressive or something?

I guess we all have to bow to your superiority.
            no, it shows that i know them more than you do and i can guarantee they wouldnt do something like that

Are you suggesting that the Diaz brothers would lose in a boxing match to one of the best pound-for-pound boxers in the world? Now you're just being a hater!

Actually, you are just showing yourself to be incapable of engaging in an intelligent discussion. Who in their right mind would give either Diaz a chance against Ward, in a boxing match? That is entirely beside the point.
            lol so you understand that they would get destroyed in a boxing match... but you (or should i say that other guy) thinks they would stand with him in an mma match? makes sense

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post

he does not have a good record. http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hum...9438&cat=boxer

look at who hes fought. i can go 100-0 against 10 year olds, doesnt mean im the best boxer ever.

Comment

Andre Ward would destroy the Diaz brothers in 1 round in a boxing match. He would also beat any super middle weight boxer in the world, and probably every light heavyweight in the world, also.

A top boxer has nothing to gain by fighting in MMA.

If we want to talk fantasy fights though, if Ward were to train for a very long extended period of time, he could be a very good MMA fighter. Maybe he could become #1. We don't know.

Getting back to reality, we can discuss fighters with boxing backgrounds who have fought in MMA. And there have been various levels of success.

I think this is more of a fantasy thread though.

Comment

Andre Ward would destroy the Diaz brothers in 1 round in a boxing match. He would also beat any super middle weight boxer in the world, and probably every light heavyweight in the world, also.

A top boxer has nothing to gain by fighting in MMA.

If we want to talk fantasy fights though, if Ward were to train for a very long extended period of time, he could be a very good MMA fighter. Maybe he could become #1. We don't know.

Getting back to reality, we can discuss fighters with boxing backgrounds who have fought in MMA. And there have been various levels of success.

I think this is more of a fantasy thread though.
                  lol the other dude was saying that the diazs', jds, and rampage would stand with the best boxers in the world. i was saying they wouldnt, that is all.

Comment

I wonder if this thread was started because of the recent reports of Tyson Fury saying he can beat any MMA fighter so I take it this guy is wondering if an MMA fighter will box a boxer and most likely the answer is no, because that wouldn't be smart. I read an article that said that boxers shouldn't just get shots in the UFC because they call out fighters, but should do what most fighters have to do and work their way up to a main card fight in the UFC, but we all know Zuffa will entertain the possibility if they know it will sell PPVs. I guess it depends on how much of a demand there would be for it. Did a lot of people really buy the James Toney vs. Randy Couture UFC Pay Per View? Seems kind of lose-lose though for MMA, because if the UFC guy wins he's supposed to win because he has more grappling experience and if he loses to a boxer, then it could make the UFC potentially look bad, so why bother, in the long run. If these boxers are really serious, let them take a few years to train MMA, fight on some prelims on Fox or PPV, then, if they do well, give them a shot on the main card. I wouldn't mind seeing Tyson Fury choked out, a limb twisted or GNP'd. I say give a boxer or anyone else a shot if he's got the right attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by almost View Post
                      he does not have a good record. http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hum...9438&cat=boxer

look at who hes fought. i can go 100-0 against 10 year olds, doesnt mean im the best boxer ever.
                      Do you know what a paper champ is?

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Either you accept what boxers have fought mma and got beat standing.

Or complain to the boxing community about why elite boxers don't fight mma.

If Berto fought mma and got wrecked by Pettis standing. I bet there would be excuses for that too. "He was never good" etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X