Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President plans to end birthright citizenship for non-citizens and illegal immigrants

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vlad_ View Post
    The bolded part is exactly right.
    Yes, it is.

To me, theres no argument that can refute that point.

If anyone wants to try, however, I'm all ears.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
      I'm gonna sit back and enjoy hearing everyone explain why they now support Trump trying to executive order something out of the constitution
      Something out of the constitution? The 14th amendment was more about the rights of former slaves, but nothing to do with illegals coming in and giving birth.

It was interpreted by the courts, but there is nothing explicit in the constitution about it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
        How are we hypocrites on this?

Us Trump supporters have been against illegal immigration from the get go, and this EO will combat illegal immigration.

Where's the hypocrisy??
        Don't mess with my 2nd amendment but feel free to mess with the 14th.

Comment

Something out of the constitution? The 14th amendment was more about the rights of former slaves, but nothing to do with illegals coming in and giving birth.

It was interpreted by the courts, but there is nothing explicit in the constitution about it.
          What?

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.
          That's the literal text. No interpretation needed.

Anyway I'm not even against the idea that non-citizens cannot give birth to a citizen. Just against presidential overreach. Trust me that you dont want this precedent set. If a hippie president in the future nukes out the 2nd amendment right without any checks and balances preventing him from doing on his own, this country will burst into flames.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
            Don't mess with my 2nd amendment but feel free to mess with the 14th.
            The 14th was about the rights of slaves who were here against their will, not modern day latinos illegally coming in here and trying to play the system.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
              What?

That's the literal text. No interpretation needed.

Anyway I'm not even against the idea that non-citizens cannot give birth to a citizen. Just against presidential overreach. Trust me that you dont want this precedent set. If a hippie president in the future nukes out the 2nd amendment right without any checks and balances preventing him from doing on his own, this country will burst into flames.
              No Bob, the 14th is much more complicated, and does not apply to just anyone.

Otherwise Native Americans would have been considered citizens as of 1868, but they were only given citizenship 56 years later, under the 1924 Indian Citizenship Act.

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.

Those who wrote the 14th Amendment did not intend individuals not subject to the full and complete jurisdiction of the United States to be included as citizens.

They are citizens of another country, and are subject to that other country's jurisdiction, at least partially.
              Last edited by Vlad_; 10-30-2018, 11:09 AM.

Comment

The 14th was about the rights of slaves who were here against their will, not modern day latinos illegally coming in here and trying to play the system.
                It doesn't say slaves.

Can we agree the Constitution isn't perfect & might need changes? Idk if you are one of those guys who act like the Constitution is perfect or not, but there are a lot of those types out there.

Im extremely pro-looking at the Constitution every generation or as needed to alter it & make improvements or get rid of sh^t we aren't for anymore. And this amendment should be one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  It doesn't say slaves.

Can we agree the Constitution isn't perfect & might need changes? Idk if you are one of those guys who act like the Constitution is perfect or not, but there are a lot of those types out there.

Im extremely pro-looking at the Constitution every generation or as needed to alter it & make improvements or get rid of sh^t we aren't for anymore. And this amendment should be one of them.
                  Not it doesn't say slaves, but that was a big part of it if you take it in context of the time it was written in.

he 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, ratified in 1868, granted citizenship to all persons born or naturalized in the United States—including former slaves—and guaranteed all citizens “equal protection of the laws.” One of three amendments passed during the Reconstruction era to abolish slavery and establish civil and legal rights for black Americans, it would become the basis for many landmark Supreme Court decisions over the years.
                  https://www.history.com/topics/black...enth-amendment

But it didn't give automatic citizenship to Native Americans for example, so clearly not everyone was under US jurisdiction.

No, the constitution is not perfect, because humans are not perfect. But it is the best guideline for a functioning society and country ever made.

Comment

I wish Democrats would speak openly and honestly about immigration issues. I never hear any Democrats talk about strong borders or the affect of illegal immigration has on this country. The only thing that I hear from Democrats is that they support sanctuary cities and that "we support immigrants."

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                      I wish Democrats would speak openly and honestly about immigration issues. I never hear any Democrats talk about strong borders or the affect of illegal immigration has on this country. The only thing that I hear from Democrats is that they support sanctuary cities and that "we support immigrants."
                      I cannot get over how they never make a distinction between immigrant and ILLEGAL immigrant.

The immigrant who follows the procedures, waits months or years for his chance, is simply cut off inline by some Latino illegal jerk who decided to just walk into the country through the Mexican border, and they somehow deserve the same rights as the immigrant spending time and money to get a legal chance to get into the country.

It's disgusting.

Comment

Working...
                      X