No announcement yet.

What was so good about Sopranos?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was so good about Sopranos?

Without big spoilers why is it a must watch TV show? And is it better than The Wire or Breaking Bad.

I actually never watched it, just remember people not liking the ending. I'm thinking about watching it after I'm done with my current TV show.

Gandolfini was a great actor.

Lotsa gangster sh^t.

Great & funny characters like Paulie Walnuts.

The compelling drama of a gangsters family life.

Violence.

Bad ass give no fook characters like Furio.

Comment

Originally posted by KillaMane26 View Post
      Without big spoilers why is it a must watch TV show? And is it better than The Wire or Breaking Bad.

I actually never watched it, just remember people not liking the ending. I'm thinking about watching it after I'm done with my current TV show.
      Its the cream of the crop , best show ever created ...........Infinite replay value

Comment

Everything about it is good, brother! It's my favorite serious show of all time and I can't imagine anything ever tops it. The Wire and Breaking Bad are right after it for me.

Comment

It's worth watching, especially if you already like other shows in the genre. Good writing and acting, Gandolfini especially does a great job. Although I didn't like the ending shot, season 6 in general was very strong with how each character had a well-done narrative and conclusion.

I think it deserves a lot of credit for going into new territory. Not because it showed gangsters, but because it showed bad guys as morally complex. When you think about TV in the 90s, it was a lot more basic. The good guys would always be good, the bad guys would always be bad. Not much inbetween. There weren't many good guys who did bad things for what they saw as good reasons or bad guys who had a soft side. Sopranos influenced almost all the great crime shows of the last 20 years and was like a kick to the TV industry to up their game and produce more nuanced characters and as a result we got stuff like The Shield, Breaking Bad, Godfather of Harlem.
          Tony Trick-Pony Tony Trick-Pony likes this.

Comment

Along with The Wire It was more important to human civilisation than the invention of the wheel, fire and sanitation.

I thank em every night before i sleep

Comment

Great acting, bunch of things going at the same time, a lot of character development, tons of sticky situations, etc.

Comment

All of the above, plus has what all great fiction needs, compelling drama and plenty of good conflict. Good amount of humor too. Like Ralphie saying "she was a hoo waa" with the way he says whore or Tony saying "I'd fist f*** ya, but I don't think you'd respect me in the morning" . Also gotta respect the brilliant ways Tony hides his money from his wife and then later avoids having to get divorced. It's a fantasy in a way too. A lot of us get screwed over in real life, so we often wish we had that kind of power to avoid having a business or government put one over on us.

Comment

Like all great shows, great characters, with great character development. Great plots, with great plot developments, twists and turns.

At it's the core that's the key to any great show, and The Sopranos has it in abundance.

Also has stuff you don't usually see from gangster films, it's not all about the glits and glamour but their internal struggles with that kind of lifestyle, which at the time was brand new and very interesting to watch.

It is an incredible show. Easily at the very least in the argument for the best ever.

I'd probably say that or The Wire.

I think Breaking Bad is a great show but I think it's a tad overrated. I think Better Call Saul is better than Breaking Bad.
                  Dr. Z Dr. Z likes this.

Comment

What they said. There isn’t much more I can add but again, Sopranos is my #1 favorite show of all time. Starting in 1999, I probably watched it over twenty times yet every time I relive it, it feels new.

Better than The Wire did you ask? Brah, they are not even in the same stratosphere imo. With Wire, it took me a long time to get past 3 episodes because it was boring but ya know, that’s just me. I dont know. The Wire didn’t pull me in.

Breaking bad is all time classic but it’s not something I will watch again. It was intense but more like one and done.
                    Willy Wanker Willy Wanker likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X