No announcement yet.

Running in the Heat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
    Not sure what anyone else thinks, but the part I was disagreeing with is when he said "you will lose more weight because you will sweat more".

Whether it's boiling hot or freezing cold, any water someone's body loses from sweating will just be replaced next time they drink water.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't run in the heat, just that if they sweat buckets and then weigh themselves and see that they've lost weight, most of it isn't going to be fat.
    Im more just starting shi t with everyone. Running in the heat is just harder, as long as you run for the same amt of time and similar pace you're gonma burn the right calories that you're gonna burn. Additional water weight will get burned im the heat.

Real benefit is that its hard on you, when i run in the early am or on a treadmill, its a piece of cake, i feel like its almost doing nothing. But in the heat im humping starting at a mile and a half.

Comment

Okay Clegg, how would a person efficiently lose fat and not water weight by running?

Comment

Originally posted by SUPREME. View Post
        Okay Clegg, how would a person efficiently lose fat and not water weight by running?
        You will lose fat by running whatever the circumstances are. All I'm saying is that the extra sweat doesn't make a difference to fat loss because we sweat out water. But just because you lose water weight doesn't mean you don't lose fat as well. When you exercise, your body doesn't use water as a fuel instead of fat or vice versa. Sometimes people lose a lot of weight very fast after changing their diet or doing heavy exercise and they think that all of it is fat when it isn't. I have made that mistake myself in the past.

It's like when boxers make weight. They are able to cut 10lb+ weight, and they do that by dehydrating themselves. But of course their weigh in weight isn't their true weight and they put the 10lbs back on within 24 hours leading up to the fight.

TBH if I wanted to lose weight I would either do it through changing my diet in a big way or taking up a high intensity sport like boxing. That has worked for me in the past.

Comment

when you run outside in the heat, you sweat for hours after you're done, even after you shower. when I run in the cool or in a gym, as soon as I take a shower I'm fine, no sweating.

it's gotta be better for your metabolism or burn something more than water.

Comment

You're spot on Walt Liquor.

I don't think Clegg quite knows what he's talking about.

Or maybe i'm not understanding where he's trying to come from no disrespect though.

Comment

Or maybe i'm not understanding where he's trying to come from no disrespect though.
              to be fair, more people than clegg said there was no difference and you just lose more water weight.....

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post
                when you run outside in the heat, you sweat for hours after you're done, even after you shower. when I run in the cool or in a gym, as soon as I take a shower I'm fine, no sweating.

it's gotta be better for your metabolism or burn something more than water.
                Right, but it's not the sweating that is making you lose fat.

If your body temperature is higher then you'll use more energy/burn more calories. If your body temperature is higher then you'll sweat more.

But the sweating doesn't cause fat loss, they're just both effects of the same thing, and you can't judge how much fat you've lost in a day/exercise session/whatever by how much you've sweated.

Also, they say that low-intensity exercise is good for losing fat during the exercise, but that usually doesn't make you sweat. High intensity exercise sometimes doesn't actually burn that much fat while you're doing it, because your body cannot break down the fat fast enough for its needs so it uses glycogen instead. But high intensity exercise increases your metabolism and results in fat burning for the next 24 hours or so (like you're saying in your post about being hot later) whereas low-intensity exercise doesn't.

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post
                to be fair, more people than clegg said there was no difference and you just lose more water weight.....
                This seems to be where the misunderstanding is coming from.

I haven't said that running in the heat is good for you, bad for you, burns less fat, more fat, whatever.

All I said is that if you lose weight from sweating, then of course it's water weight, because that's what sweat is made of.

None taken. You're entitled to your opinion. At the end of the day I have been overweight before and lost it, and tried different diets/exercising and read different stuff. So if I'm wrong so be it but I speak based upon the different things I've read over the years.
                Last edited by Clegg; 07-08-2011, 03:43 PM.

Comment

I can't do anything in the heat. Wouldn't even run to the toilet if I were pissing meself.

Comment

Like someone else said and this has been true with me also , when i have ran in much cooler areas it's like im not being pushed and when the running is over i'm like "Thats it" .....but in the heat after i barely get pass a mile im thinking "Geez i got how many more to go????!" ....

maybe i should have asked my question somewhat in a better way .

and one other thing maybe someone can help with, sorry for all the questions, But can you lose too much weight to quickly??.....because i've lost about 12 or 13 pounds in about 9 weeks and im just starting to feel very weak physically and even going backwards with some of the conditioning drills..

Comment

Originally posted by KeepOnPushing View Post
                      Like someone else said and this has been true with me also , when i have ran in much cooler areas it's like im not being pushed and when the running is over i'm like "Thats it" .....but in the heat after i barely get pass a mile im thinking "Geez i got how many more to go????!" ....

maybe i should have asked my question somewhat in a better way .

and one other thing maybe someone can help with, sorry for all the questions, But can you lose too much weight to quickly??.....because i've lost about 12 or 13 pounds in about 9 weeks and im just starting to feel very weak physically and even going backwards with some of the conditioning drills..
                      You gotta eat rite, hydrate, and get rest.

Comment

Working...
                      X