Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxing now.... compared to the 50's thru 80's...Any Way to Regain that Respect?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it starts with the kids, boxing needs to come back into schools etc, also we need someone who is either controversial/funny/charismastic etc, a boxer like that will create interest, the Hatton/Mayweather fight will be huge!

Comment

Originally posted by Minotauro View Post
      up until the 80's, the heavyweight champ of the world was the world's greatest athlete. but the 80's are long gone.
      I don't think thats true... every sport has great athletes at its peaks with athletic abilities specifically honed for their sport so I don't see how you can say that. Most professional boxers are still world class athletes... probably more so now than in the 80's.

Judge Jab made a good point about getting it into schools... that would be awesome but with all the lawsuits people make these days i dont think that will happen. Big personallities are good too, and I personally think having one sanctioning body would go a long way to regaining the lustre of the title champion, but that probably won't happen either because too many people are making too much money the way it is now.

Comment

Yeh that's right. Needs more interesting people. Eubank is my favorite boxer because he was great inside and our of the ring.

Comment

this is why a guy like mayweather really pisses me off. the guy is a FANTASTIC boxer, theres no denying his ability, I love to watch his fights. but what does he do? he acts like a DICKHEAD all the time. our pound for pound champ is a total twat. now theres no denying that has got to be bad for the sport. he could be a lot more than he is. he should be a good role model instead hes a role model for arrogance.

Comment

the idiocy of todays fans and the total lack of respect for any fighter that they dont specifically support is as big a contributor to the problem

boxing used to be a sport for gentleman to dress well for, grab a cigar, make a bet and enjoy.. they were much more well educated on the sport themselves and were therefore much better fans.

a real boxing fan supports the general well being of the fighters and the sport above and beyond that of his favorite fighters... there arent many of those fans around anymore

regaining respect for boxing starts with US not the FIGHTERS.

Comment

Originally posted by DA1CATAS View Post
              Hmm.. ok I'll take your point.. General public Interest... does that word it better.

The Public doesn't know who boxes.

If you ask someone from the general public to name 3 heavyweights they won't be able to even name the champion.

compared to the 80's when families used to go to the fights in person.. Wife and all.

Big name Boxers were on TV all the time. Mayweather and De la hoya only got some shine because of all the hype.

Boxers met the president back then.

Can boxing regain that status is what im basically asking.
              that is why I consider today's bxing underrated and old school abit overrated

Comment

Originally posted by eazy_mas View Post
                that is why I consider today's bxing underrated and old school abit overrated
                Damn.....The interest......Exactly.

You could make a horrible but stable point with that. I love the old days though.

Comment

Hand to hand combat(boxing) will never die. Boxing has seen it all, it was supposed to die in the 30's. Boxing survived the mob, black eyes and Don King. I guess the point was boxing isnt big in the public? The only thing that matters is Boxers are making more money that ever. And thats a fact.

I also see people pointing out Mayweather as a problem. I only half agree. What matters at the end of the day is wins. But the outpoint style does lack excitement.

Thats why I always support the Anti- MAY-weather A fighter like MAY-orga
                  Mayweather will take your 55$ and run the entire 12 rounds to aviod the boxers most dangerous punch.
                  Mayorga knows you have one of the most P4P hardest punches ever. Let me drop my hands and take 3 for free.

Boxing needs characters. Good characters that = Pure excitement, before and after the fight. B/c the skills agurement is simply dumb. Fighters are as good now as ever. Mayweather is great, the P4P #1 and people hate him.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar View Post
                    Hand to hand combat(boxing) will never die. Boxing has seen it all, it was supposed to die in the 30's. Boxing survived the mob, black eyes and Don King. I guess the point was boxing isnt big in the public? The only thing that matters is Boxers are making more money that ever. And thats a fact.

I also see people pointing out Mayweather as a problem. I only half agree. What matters at the end of the day is wins. But the outpoint style does lack excitement.

Thats why I always support the Anti- MAY-weather A fighter like MAY-orga
                    Mayweather will take your 55$ and run the entire 12 rounds to aviod the boxers most dangerous punch.
                    Mayorga knows you have one of the most P4P hardest punches ever. Let me drop my hands and take 3 for free.

Boxing needs characters. Good characters that = Pure excitement, before and after the fight. B/c the skills agurement is simply dumb. Fighters are as good now as ever. Mayweather is great, the P4P #1 and people hate him.
                    some guy is bless with power some guys are bless with sped and each one is going to use it on his oppenet.

Why maywather will try to KO someone with granite chin and stand toe2toe when he knows he cant KO him?

Comment

Working...
                    X