Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxing now.... compared to the 50's thru 80's...Any Way to Regain that Respect?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing now.... compared to the 50's thru 80's...Any Way to Regain that Respect?

If any boxer that fights now says they could beat a boxer from the 50's - 80's they will be called out and made out to be a cocky idiot full of themselves.

Boxers with Talent .....Sad to say... is a breed almost faded from our present time altogether. Theres only a few fighters with actual talent in this sport..and their not all Pro, and some aren't even fighters.

Champions used to be a household name... Go to the white house... get endorsements..Constant Tv Shows......They were respected and everyone knew them. They were actually Recognized as GREAT.

Boxing isn't the same as before... I admit that... But does anyone think Boxing could ever Regain its past RESPECT?

What would it take for this to be accomplished?

Sorry for those who will say i posted in the wrong section.

Hard workers that are dedicated to their craft,and have the gifted skills and a good mind set to go with it.

Comment

Originally posted by DA1CATAS View Post
      If any boxer that fights now says they could beat a boxer from the 50's - 80's they will be called out and made out to be a cocky idiot full of themselves.

Boxers with Talent .....Sad to say... is a breed almost faded from our present time altogether. Theres only a few fighters with actual talent in this sport..and their not all Pro, and some aren't even fighters.

Champions used to be a household name... Go to the white house... get endorsements..Constant Tv Shows......They were respected and everyone knew them. They were actually Recognized as GREAT.

Boxing isn't the same as before... I admit that... But does anyone think Boxing could ever Regain its past RESPECT?

What would it take for this to be accomplished?

Sorry for those who will say i posted in the wrong section.

dont think so because people tend to alway compare this era with the past era, so when you become pro they will compare fighters i nthe 90s too dont worry

as for fighting i notice in the end of 70s as well as 80s and 90s there where breed of boxers who are hyprid in style they could fight in two style or more

in boxing generally you got pressure fighter, boxers and slugger which is like the paper, scissore and rock but expect in those time they could have dont two or three unlike today they concentrat one one mostly slugging or pressure fighters there is boxers but those two generally get advatage

Comment

Originally posted by eazy_mas View Post
        don't think so because people tend to alway compare this era with the past era, so when you become pro they will compare fighters in the 90s too don't worry

as for fighting i notice in the end of 70s as well as 80s and 90s there where breed of boxers who are hybrid in style they could fight in two style or more

in boxing generally you got pressure fighter, boxers and slugger which is like the paper, scissor and rock but expect in those time they could have don't two or three unlike today they concentrate one one mostly slugging or pressure fighters there is boxers but those two generally get advantage
        1st Part

Sad that you would think that....hopefully your wrong.

2nd Part

500 donated. That added to the game plan..thanx.

Comment

Originally posted by VERSATILE2K7 View Post
          Hard workers that are dedicated to their craft,and have the gifted skills and a good mind set to go with it.
          I would Expect You to be Positive because your one of those guys you just described..Its easy to see that and I'm not trying to boost you.

Its that second part That i don't know about with you.

Comment

Bah, those fighters who we hold in so much esteem currently (those from the past) when they were current had as much trauma, critcisms and doubts from the fans and media.

The top stars today will one day be held as untouchable and brilliant once they've retired and gotten old. Its just the way it is.

The past always seems rosey, because people only see the good when looking in hindsight - and that goes for everything. If your out and about and you see your ex-girlfriend, you think "aww, **** why did i dump her". Forgetting the fact she was a complete dick.

Nearly everything in the past is seen through rose tinted glasses.

As for boxers aren't as talented as they were in the 50's ..... thats not true at all. Techniques have developed and developed. Its not possible for fighters to get worse in style. I think fighters on average are better today than they were in the past. Development in sciences and the modernisation of the sport has only educated fighters for the better.

Comment

It's not boxing's fault. Boxing takes a set of skills and a level of dedication that are at odds with what our society holds precious, now. I liken it to the decline of the actual, trained-from-birth musician -- having been a professional, touring musician back in the day.

People don't want to work for anything anymore. It's about entitlement. This is the legacy of your generation. And part of mine. People want to be given things. EDIT: How many people do you know who work as hard at ANYTHING as you work at boxing?

People want to be entertained; they don't want to ooh and aah over the amount of work someone has put in. Hence the WWF and its musical counterpart, American Idol. EDIT: Along the same lines, the majority of people don't care how hard someone has worked to get good -- they care about the size of his house or how much money he's made, or how many points he's scored. There will never again be a Michael Jordan of boxing. There may never again be a Michael Jordan.

Athletes with hard-won skills are shunted aside and put into circus side shows like the X-Games, with cult followings. Even the NBA, with its emphasis on taller athletes and higher-scoring games, has gone entertainment. Boxing is still, unfortunately for its entertainment value, a gentleman's sport. I feel -- and I'm savagely hung over so maybe this is excessively negative -- that boxing in another 50 years will be what fencing is, now: an anachronism that holds to values of a lost era.
              Last edited by fraidycat; 08-19-2007, 10:59 AM. Reason: Hung over.

Comment

I fervently agree with Mickey B!
                Saying that there are hardly any talented boxers today is just plain false. How can anyone even think of saying that? Boxers aren't stars anymore, true, but that has nothing to do with boxing, but the changes in the world around boxing. Todays starts are rappers, teen sluts who can sing a little, and genetic freaks like football players and 7" basketball players. It's a sign of the times; everything has to be outrageous, freakish, glamorous or whatever.
                Look at the Contender, which was an attempt to bring boxing into the style of entertainment of this era. They had to add sound effects to the punches, edit the fights because no one can be bothered to watch a full fight (not even a 5 rounder...), make the ring smaller to force more action, put in clips of Stallone making his "Adriaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan" face while yelling encouragement at a fighter (why would they even want him to take sides in the fights???), and add a bunch of reality TV drama around the fights, to make them watchable to the general American public.
                This is not because there's anything wrong with boxing, it's just that entertainment has turned up to a faster pace. Look at a modern music video, they change shots every two seconds or so. In the early nineties, you could have 10-15 second clips in a video. Nowadays that would be boring.

Comment

Originally posted by fraidycat View Post
                  It's not boxing's fault. Boxing takes a set of skills and a level of dedication that are at odds with what our society holds precious, now. I liken it to the decline of the actual, trained-from-birth musician -- having been a professional, touring musician back in the day.

People don't want to work for anything anymore. It's about entitlement. This is the legacy of your generation. And part of mine. People want to be given things. EDIT: How many people do you know who work as hard at ANYTHING as you work at boxing?

People want to be entertained; they don't want to ooh and aah over the amount of work someone has put in. Hence the WWF and its musical counterpart, American Idol. EDIT: Along the same lines, the majority of people don't care how hard someone has worked to get good -- they care about the size of his house or how much money he's made, or how many points he's scored. There will never again be a Michael Jordan of boxing. There may never again be a Michael Jordan.

Athletes with hard-won skills are shunted aside and put into circus side shows like the X-Games, with cult followings. Even the NBA, with its emphasis on taller athletes and higher-scoring games, has gone entertainment. Boxing is still, unfortunately for its entertainment value, a gentleman's sport. I feel -- and I'm savagely hung over so maybe this is excessively negative -- that boxing in another 50 years will be what fencing is, now: an anachronism that holds to values of a lost era.
                  I agree, I only hope the future won't be as bleak as you paint it. I'm counting on humanity to come back to it's senses!

Comment

Originally posted by DA1CATAS View Post
                    1st Part

Sad that you would think that....hopefully your wrong.

2nd Part

500 donated. That added to the game plan..thanx.
                    and old school fighter are more patient and use the jab to win by it or set-up other punchs more but now fighters are trying to have the record like undeafted and many KOs because that what the public want they dont want no fighter with skills winning a what said boring or consider him a bum because one loss he have.

see in the business of boxing great boxers are great jabbers the jab is essiental arsenal to use it you could win a fight with a jab only like Emily Griffen.

so work the jab more and more

Originally posted by mickeyb View Post
                    Bah, those fighters who we hold in so much esteem currently (those from the past) when they were current had as much trauma, critcisms and doubts from the fans and media.

The top stars today will one day be held as untouchable and brilliant once they've retired and gotten old. Its just the way it is.

The past always seems rosey, because people only see the good when looking in hindsight - and that goes for everything. If your out and about and you see your ex-girlfriend, you think "aww, **** why did i dump her". Forgetting the fact she was a complete dick.

Nearly everything in the past is seen through rose tinted glasses.

As for boxers aren't as talented as they were in the 50's ..... thats not true at all. Techniques have developed and developed. Its not possible for fighters to get worse in style. I think fighters on average are better today than they were in the past. Development in sciences and the modernisation of the sport has only educated fighters for the better.
                    and you forgot something Mickyb better steriods

Comment

Working...
                    X