No announcement yet.

Sean Sherk Responds to Floyd Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2swell k-wells View Post
    It's not gon disappear. What I meant was that it aint gon be as big as it was before, people are LESS interested in boxing now, you do your research and tell me whats better these days.
    Well I personally think that boxing is better, but I'm biased as you know! I do appreciate the skill of SOME of the MMA fighters I've seen but on a whole I just don't find it fun to watch which is what I find important. 2 guys struggling on the floor together will always look like a street fight to me. although I have enjoyed watchin some Royce Gracie fights, saw him take down a guy a lot bigger than butterbean, which is saying something!

Comment

What's better: Boxing or mixed martial arts?

This is a topic has been gently danced around for years.

For the most part, MMA types have expressed nothing but respect for boxing, as it is one of the base components of their sport and boasts a rich history.

Boxing types have largely responded with disdain. Promoters have referred to MMA as "trash," boxers have disrespected MMA fighters' skills, and hack boxing writers too lazy to learn anything new have attempted to brush off the subject, since it wasn't what they grew up with in 1923.

But things reached have reached a boiling point over the past week. Floyd Mayweather Jr. was quoted as saying "UFC ain’t s--,. It ain’t but a fad. Anyone can put a tattoo on their head and get in a street fight. We should put Liddell against a good heavyweight, under Mayweather Promotions, and if Chuck wins, then I’ll give him a million dollars out of my own pocket. These are guys who couldn’t make it in boxing."

UFC president Dana White shot back: "He says he wants to pay Chuck Liddell a million dollars to fight with a heavyweight boxer and see if he'll last. How about this? How about we pay Floyd a million dollars to fight MMA and see how long he lasts. Or even better ... I'll give him a million dollars of my own money if he boxes anyone other than Oscar (De La Hoya) and more than 10 people buy tickets."

Many fans have already checked in with their take on this throwdown. Here's a sampling of comments from the FOXSports.com MMA blog, some of which have been edited for grammar:

The great thing about MMA is that the underdog always has a chance anything can happen and its much more exciting, little gay with some of the guys that where the tigthy whiteys but hey whatever works for them, I'd never say that to Mirko Cro Cop's face.

Boxing is a far superior sport to mma. ufc is like watching two drunks in a bar fight. could any MMA heavy weight stand a chance against Klitschko? Any MMA middleweight go a round with Jermaine Taylor? Mayweather would make a mma champ look like a fool. I have competed in both the arts of wrestling and boxing, and the skilled glove is mightier than the takedown.

Of course Floyd Mayweather is gonna "call out" the UFC. Boxing has become a laughingstock in American sports entertainment. He has no choice but to create animosity or controversy to get noticed. MMA and in particular, the UFC is not only surviving, but thriving. It represents what people want to pay their hard earned money to watch. That is; exciting, fast-paced, and multi-dimension.

I enjoy watching both sports. UFC has its warriors just like boxing. But, Mayweather does not fall into the warrior category (in my opinion). He's a runner. The day i see Mayweather stand in the middle of the ring and battle it out with a "WORTHY" opponent, like the true boxing warriors of the past, maybe then i might listen to his loud mouth. But for now he's just blowing hot air. Mayweather! u don't impress me like a Chuck Liddell does. He stands TOE TO TOE, you don't, you dance around the ring.

No offense but boxing is a washed up sport. It is a thing of the past. There is only a few fighters out there worth watching right now. MMA hands down takes the cake. If you want to hear about popularity tell me when have you ever seen a packed house for pre-cards at a boxing event...never.

Honestly I think that some MMA fighters would fare much better in boxing then any boxer would in MMA. Again not all MMA fighters but some. Those guys definitely have much more heart then most boxers. Most boxers like Floyd just got big ass mouths. Props to Floyd for what he does in the ring can't take anything away from him but don't speak of something you know nothing bout.

By the way why you guys hating on Dana White for the guy used to be a boxing trainer. He saw the UFC and had ideas and ways to make it better and he did. Props to him for what he did. Dude has got to stick up for what he created.

So what do you think? Many fans have correctly pointed out that boxing and MMA are two different sports and it is like comparing apples and oranges. But if you could only watch one, which would you watch?

Comment

I'll give him a million dollars of my own money if he boxes anyone other than Oscar (De La Hoya) and more than 10 people buy tickets."

haha that was a funny comment.

Comment

I'll give him a million dollars of my own money if he boxes anyone other than Oscar (De La Hoya) and more than 10 people buy tickets."

haha that was a funny comment.
          "anyone can put a tattoo on their head and get in a street fight" haha! THAT was a funny comment

Comment

Look, I donno, but I will say this, the ONLY time in my life I have be challenged in a "combat" situation was by another boxer. Now I've never gone up against Anderson Silva or anything... but I have gone up against guys who call themselves who call themselves "MMA", and none could really fight.

In my own experience, average MMA fighters are pretty ****. Now the BEST out there, against the BEST boxing has to offer... I donno what would happen, but the MMA guy wouldn't dominate, I can tell you that. But you put a guy like Dac or Vers in the ring with some young MMA guy, I'd throw down a lot on the boxer, just because the average MMA guy doesn't seem to have a whole lot of skill he just: "Likes to kick ASS!" as one guy put it to me...

I suppose I'm biased towards boxing then, but I do respect the best that MMA has to offer aswell, they are obviously talented fighters as well. As for boxing's decline... I think that has a lot to do with a loss of luster and class, not talent or anything, or even good fighters. The UFC or anything is in no position to be taking the "class" crown of combat-sports, it's even worse than what boxing has become.

The majority of UFC fans (again, in my own experience) are just guys who know nothing about fighting, and just wanna see some brutality in the ring. All the real "fighters" I know, prefer boxing. In fact, I know a coupla guys who do MMA/Muay Thai type stuff who just prefer the "sport" of boxing as fans.

Again, no hate on the MMA greats, but to summarize:
            Ain't no MMA fighter ever take me down!

Peace,
            Trick

Comment

Originally posted by Trick View Post
              Look, I donno, but I will say this, the ONLY time in my life I have be challenged in a "combat" situation was by another boxer. Now I've never gone up against Anderson Silva or anything... but I have gone up against guys who call themselves who call themselves "MMA", and none could really fight.

In my own experience, average MMA fighters are pretty ****. Now the BEST out there, against the BEST boxing has to offer... I donno what would happen, but the MMA guy wouldn't dominate, I can tell you that. But you put a guy like Dac or Vers in the ring with some young MMA guy, I'd throw down a lot on the boxer, just because the average MMA guy doesn't seem to have a whole lot of skill he just: "Likes to kick ASS!" as one guy put it to me...

I suppose I'm biased towards boxing then, but I do respect the best that MMA has to offer aswell, they are obviously talented fighters as well. As for boxing's decline... I think that has a lot to do with a loss of luster and class, not talent or anything, or even good fighters. The UFC or anything is in no position to be taking the "class" crown of combat-sports, it's even worse than what boxing has become.

The majority of UFC fans (again, in my own experience) are just guys who know nothing about fighting, and just wanna see some brutality in the ring. All the real "fighters" I know, prefer boxing. In fact, I know a coupla guys who do MMA/Muay Thai type stuff who just prefer the "sport" of boxing as fans.

Peace,
              Trick
              Nicely put squire, you're right ,most these UFC fans just want to see someone get their head pounded in. That's the thing I hate most about it, I think it says a lot about society today.

Comment

Peace,
                Trick
                Nicely put but when u say boxing is real fighting...that is plain old wrong. There is more to fighting than throwing punches, there is kicks involved, takedowns, submissions, elbows, knees etc. I think people love MMA because of the action, there is rarely any action in boxing...

Jab....jab.....tie up..BREAK...jab....jab.. missed jab....missed jab....right hook miss.....jab...tie up..BREAK.....see where im gettin at haha.

Comment

Nicely put but when u say boxing is real fighting...that is plain old wrong. There is more to fighting than throwing punches, there is kicks involved, takedowns, submissions, elbows, knees etc. I think people love MMA because of the action, there is rarely any action in boxing...

Jab....jab.....tie up..BREAK...jab....jab.. missed jab....missed jab....right hook miss.....jab...tie up..BREAK.....see where im gettin at haha.
                  No, what are you getting at?

A Hockey game with no rules would be fun too, but is it better?

Comment

Take the ground game away from an mma fighter and you have c-level boxer at best example being 41 year old and 260 lbs out of shape Lou Saverese basically toyed with mma fighter Travis Fulton before knocking him out in 3 rds.

Comment

No, what are you getting at?

A Hockey game with no rules would be fun too, but is it better?
                      u said boxing is real fighting....WRONG, just guys throwing punches and i said there is more to fighting than punching....**** sick of repeating myself.

Comment

Working...
                      X