No announcement yet.

Sean Sherk Responds to Floyd Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rocky_balboa23 View Post
    I wont go on to say that Floyd will not get past Sherk in the first round..it could be the other way around..of course, Floyd would study how to defend the take down before their fight..i watched that Sherk-Penn fight and Sherk was demolished coz Penn was using his feet really well..As much as I hate Mayweather, I would still favor him over Sherk..
    Sherk was demolished because he though he could stand with BJ Penn and was more concerned with entertaining the fans than trying to get the W. Which I believe he would have been able to do if he took BJ down because BJ's cardio has always been suspect.

Learning how to defend a takedown isn't something that can be mastered over a 12 week training camp.

There are world class All American Wrestlers in MMA that have been wrestling from 5 to upwards of 30 years and they still get taken down.

The only person who has been able to shrug off Sherk's takedowns with ease is Georges St. Pierre and he's one of the most gifted athletes/fighters in the entire sport and he Wresltes with Olympians.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wanderlei_Silva View Post
      Sherk was demolished because he though he could stand with BJ Penn and was more concerned with entertaining the fans than trying to get the W. Which I believe he would have been able to do if he took BJ down because BJ's cardio has always been suspect.

Learning how to defend a takedown isn't something that can be mastered over a 12 week training camp.

There are world class All American Wrestlers in MMA that have been wrestling from 5 to upwards of 30 years and they still get taken down.

The only person who has been able to shrug off Sherk's takedowns with ease is Georges St. Pierre and he's one of the most gifted athletes/fighters in the entire sport and he Wresltes with Olympians.
      so ur saying he was trying to entertain the fans eventhough he knew he was getting outboxed? So ur saying that Sherk did not even thought of taking down Penn? Of course he thought bout it but he wasnt able to take him down coz Penn was uisng his feet well punching Sherk when he tries to take him down..I think Penn and Mayweather are equal in athleticism. again it's not that easy to take down an opponent if ur opponent knows that ur gameplan is the takedown..if he uses that takedown when mayweather is anticipating it, I think Sherk can be hit at the back of the head which could be disastrous..a boxer using the MMA gloves has faster hands which also means greater power..

Comment

• Originally posted by bbos View Post
        which is why its made to cater for mmgay fighters to increase their abysmal striking skills so they can at least put up a show..hence i consider those as ***** gloves, even a 10 year old can get knock outs with 4 oz mmgay gloves LOL
        Hmm.... wearing smaller gloves which hurt more and a higher chance to be knocked out = "***** Gloves"??

More protection for REAL MEN and less protection for the ******* eh??

Look here, i love and accept both sports. But some comments on MMA are uncalled for.

Comment

• Originally posted by rocky_balboa23 View Post
          so ur saying he was trying to entertain the fans eventhough he knew he was getting outboxed?
          That's what he said in his post fight interview. [QUOTE]

So ur saying that Sherk did not even thought of taking down Penn? Of course he thought bout it but he wasnt able to take him down coz Penn was uisng his feet well punching Sherk when he tries to take him down..
          He went for one takedown in the entire fight. He stated in the post fight interview that he wanted to show diversity because that's what the fans want. He made that same mistake against Frankie Edgar. Sean has been having some trouble recently sticking to his roots.

I think Penn and Mayweather are equal in athleticism.
          I'm sorry, bro...but BJ Penn and Athleticism don't go hand in hand. BJ has been notoriously known for having terrible conditioning. He's a fighter but he is by no means an "athlete" in the traditional sense.

again it's not that easy to take down an opponent if ur opponent knows that ur gameplan is the takedown.
          Tell that to all Georges St. Pierre's opponents who know how good his wrestling is but still end up getting taken down effortlessly.

if he uses that takedown when mayweather is anticipating it, I think Sherk can be hit at the back of the head which could be disastrous
          Possibly but Sherks takedowns are very fast and explosive and he sets them up pretty well. Not to mention once he gets ahold of a single or double leg, his drive is very strong. Not many people have been able to stop his takedown even though they all know that's where his strengths are.

Also punches to the back of the head are illegal.

..a boxer using the MMA gloves has faster hands which also means greater power..
          Maybe so but I've said before Sherk has a hell of a chin and has been hit with some hard shots.

I highly doubt any punch Floyd can throw would have more force behind it that this knee that Sherk took to his dome. After which wasn't even unconscious and still took Franca down

Last edited by TheNegation; 06-23-2009, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• this thread was made in 2007...why are you guys still here? hahaha

and for the record...SHERK WOULD KILL MAYWEATHER!

Comment

• Originally posted by Left2theliver View Post
              this thread was made in 2007...why are you guys still here? hahaha

and for the record...SHERK WOULD KILL MAYWEATHER!
              Ask the guy who bumped it

Comment

• Originally posted by Wanderlei_Silva View Post
                Ask the guy who bumped it
                ah ok...hahaha kinda funny, these guys think that it's THAT easy to learn how to defend takedowns and ****, especially from a wrestler the caliber of Sherk hahaha.

Comment

• That's what he said in his post fight interview.
                  well u cant honestly say that what he said in the post fight interview were true..Most people just use the post fight interview to make excuses.

He went for one takedown in the entire fight. He stated in the post fight interview that he wanted to show diversity because that's what the fans want. He made that same mistake against Frankie Edgar. Sean has been having some trouble recently sticking to his roots.

maybe he went for one takedown because he cant really get inside without getting pummelled. Ive watched that fight and it seems that he was having trouble getting inside coz he has short arms and Mayweather has long arms for his size.

I'm sorry, bro...but BJ Penn and Athleticism don't go hand in hand. BJ has been notoriously known for having terrible conditioning. He's a fighter but he is by no means an "athlete" in the traditional sense.

yeah..maybe, but in terms of being naturally gifted, both Mayweather and Bj are equal. But as uv mentioned BJ has not even trained that hard for Sherk and still beat him. Remember Mayweather is a freaking training addict.

Tell that to all Georges St. Pierre's opponents who know how good his wrestling is but still end up getting taken down effortlessly.

Well, again maybe it's coz those opponents of Pierre dont have the speed, and hand speed of a boxer in this case Money May.

Possibly but Sherks takedowns are very fast and explosive and he sets them up pretty well. Not to mention once he gets ahold of a single or double leg, his drive is very strong. Not many people have been able to stop his takedown even though they all know that's where his strengths are.

Well Money is not a stationary target..he will punch before Sherk can get near him. Hatton was explosive on his feet and look what happend to him. Boxers are one of the best when it comes to anticipating a move

Also punches to the back of the head are illegal.

This may happen if Sherk just explodes trying to tackle Mayweather by grabbing his legs. Mayweather may punched him at the back of his head unintentionally coz most grapplers bow down once they grab the legs of their opponents.

Maybe so but I've said before Sherk has a hell of a chin and has been hit with some hard shots.

Well, maybe a boxer wearing 4 ounce glove can KO him..=)
                  Last edited by rocky_balboa23; 06-23-2009, 03:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by me2007 View Post
                    Mayweather is not superman....Sherk, or any other MMA guy could easily take down Maywether and pound him into the ground.

He is the worst type of boxer to put in a cage fight...for 2 reasons.

Firstly he isn`t a big puncher....secondly when he boxes, he more or less is on his bike the entire time.

The types of boxers who would do well in MMA are big punchers who are short and stocky...you could teach them basic takedown and kick defence and they would do well...

Mayweather would get killed against any of the top or second tier MMA guys.
                    any boxer has more knockdown power than an mma fighter because that is all a boxer is taught to do and they know how to use their waist and legs to add more power to their puches

Comment

• Originally posted by 2swell k-wells View Post
                      To have a boxer mention ufc/pride is ******.
                      A 400 pound butterbean lost to a Light Weight Genki Sudo by submission, tell me whats better...Boxing may not fade away but UFC took over awhile ago. Boxing is a great sport, most mma guys train boxing as well and the reason they aint as good as pro boxers is cause they aint 1 demensonial, they have to learn more than one style.

Might I add alot more action goes on in a MMA fight instead of Standing there throwing jabs, there is more technique involved and more experience when fighting MMA.
                      first of all butterbean was pretty much a circus act in boxing and would not put a match against a top heavyweight
                      second he is well overweight and if an mma fighter could take him down he probably wouldnt be able to get up....he is sorta like a turtle on the ground and i have seen him get taken down in one of his mma fights in which he couldnt get back up...lol
                      third....didnt he actually win a few times fighting in the mma? if i remember well he in fact DID

Comment

Working...
                      X