Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Fury-Wilder Produced Just Over 750,000 PPV Buys; Could Reach 800,000

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They needed over 1 mil to break even and got 800k.

Comment

Disaster, won't even break even?! This shows you the Gypsy bum's atrociously boring, rabbit punching and slapping twitching fighting style is anathema to the general sports fan. He's also a drugs cheat so I think this hss always put people off watching him.

Comment

Another circumstance of old timers not understanding how times have changed. 750k is huge in the current era. I actually don't even believe the so called PPV numbers for most PBC ppvs because they're so inconsistent will all other modern ppvs without any of the outliers that would make that inconsistency seem reasonable. It's kind of amazing how they never really had one bad performing PPV in this era. But i actually believe these numbers because the fight was heavily pushed and promoted. But it was never going to do 2 million at $80. Arum thinks it's still the 90s. That just doesn't happen anymore. The same thing is true for movies and music. Low to mid budget movies struggle now compared to back in the day and albums don't sell like they used. Times have changed, Arum would do well be more cognizant of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Fabes88 View Post
          You know this fight didn’t break even right
          He doesn’t care about that, he’s been hurt since Saturday when his great American hero got exposed. All he wants right now is for everyone to agree with him that Joshua has no chance against anyone and is the B side against everyone. Let him be bro, he’s got a few more stages of grief

800K is a fantastic number even if they expected more, if Wilder had won that would have been a huge springboard into superstardom.

Comment

Right in line with what a lot of us predicted. Between 700 - 800K buys. Most Americans don't know who either of them are, and European fans aren't accustomed to paying $75+ for PPV fights. Not sure if the fight was any cheaper for Euro fans, but PPV numbers don't lie. Neither of them are big PPV draws.

Hopefully now we can all put to rest all that talk about how Wilder deserved anywhere close to 50% purse split with AJ.

Comment

This just killed the Spence vs. Crawford fight! These low numbers show that it is not fiscally feasible for a co-promotion between ESPN & FOX, and add to the fact that Spence and Crawford are even less known to casuals, as are Wilder and Fury. It may have worked for Mayweather vs. Pacquiao, but Spence vs. Crawford, and Wilder vs. Fury, are nowhere near the stars that May & Pac are!

Comment

With the heavy promotion that it got I thought they were going to be able to hit at least one million. They doubled from their first encounter but I don't think they spent as much promoting as they did for this one.

Maybe if Wilder would had showcased his costume in the promotion they would had hit that number.

Comment

Originally posted by Gate keeper View Post
                  Another circumstance of old timers not understanding how times have changed. 750k is huge in the current era. I actually don't even believe the so called PPV numbers for most PBC ppvs because they're so inconsistent will all other modern ppvs without any of the outliers that would make that inconsistency seem reasonable. It's kind of amazing how they never really had one bad performing PPV in this era. But i actually believe these numbers because the fight was heavily pushed and promoted. But it was never going to do 2 million at $80. Arum thinks it's still the 90s. That just doesn't happen anymore. The same thing is true for movies and music. Low to mid budget movies struggle now compared to back in the day and albums don't sell like they used. Times have changed, Arum would do well be more cognizant of that.
                  I agree, but back in the day of albums and movies the price was considerably less.

They could do 2 million buy at 29.99 because people would not have to pool their money together to watch the fight. I hate to go old man and "stay off my lawn" but I would rather watch a fight by myself or with a few people than a house full of drunk overstuffed "fight fans" who don't know the first thing about boxing.

And no one buys albums anymore, they just download it.

Comment

Haymon/PBC didn't make any money on Wilder. Both Ortiz and Fury PPV's failed to break even.

Comment

Originally posted by NaijaD View Post
                      He doesn’t care about that, he’s been hurt since Saturday when his great American hero got exposed. All he wants right now is for everyone to agree with him that Joshua has no chance against anyone and is the B side against everyone. Let him be bro, he’s got a few more stages of grief

800K is a fantastic number even if they expected more, if Wilder had won that would have been a huge springboard into superstardom.

Haha yeah there’s a lot of hurt feelings

800k is a decent number when compared with the first fight I agree. However if it’s true that the fight needed to do 1.1 million to break even there’s a lot of people putting lipstick on a pig in this thread.

800k looks good on paper but you can’t really spin it as a success if it doesn’t break even

Comment

Working...
                      X