Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arum is panicking because Crawford/Khan PPV flopped

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love when people celebrate fights losing money...I mean, will it be worth celebrating when these networks decide to get out of the boxing business cuz these rival promoters can’t get it together and make the fights fans are willing to pay for?

Comment

Originally posted by MastaBlasta View Post
      Danny put on a show, his best effort ever.That's a good fight with Crawford or Spence (unless Danny goes shy i.e. like with Thurman & Porter). Arums noise, attitude, and privilege knocks most everything off the table.
      I agree.

Would love to see Danny in place of Porter against Spence. Each time I watch Porter, he somehow puts me to sleep. I don't know if I ever want to see him box again. Other than that, he seems like a pretty cool dude.

Comment

Originally posted by Real King Kong View Post
        I love when people celebrate fights losing money...I mean, will it be worth celebrating when these networks decide to get out of the boxing business cuz these rival promoters can’t get it together and make the fights fans are willing to pay for?
        I don't see it as celebration by the OP, more like comparison, but I like your overall point about the networks going out of business. I hope that never happens to boxing.

Green K.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
          90% of PPV's are bought the day of the fight. The tracking for the fight was 100-150 K it might hit 200k but that would be where it tops out.

Both fighters had a higher guarantee than Spence/Garcia. Arum lost his shirt on that fight. That's why he was screaming boycott PBC & playing the race card after the fight. He needs Haymon to save him from a bad deal he signed.

People keep saying Crawford was ****** for resigning with Top Rank. Not me. That was the best decision he could've made. Arum was ****** resigning Crawford to that deal. Now he needs Haymon fighters to recoup his losses &.make good on the promises he made to ESPN .

Crawford's trainer/manager Bomac said Crawford would fight 3 times a year the next 3 years. I don't see that happening. Brook is a good fight but not PPV. Top Rank is losing money on Crawford's fights. A buyout may be imminent.
          200k is massive at $69.99

Crawford khan both got $6m.

$2m left over, and plus gate, plus sponsorship, plus concessions, plus UK sales, .... probably about $6m - $10m left over

Comment

Originally posted by abracada View Post
            200k is massive at $69.99

Crawford khan both got $6m.

$2m left over, and plus gate, plus sponsorship, plus concessions, plus UK sales, .... probably about $6m - $10m left over
            your math doesn't make sense....

if the PPV providers take HALF of the revenue,
            then
            200k x $70 = 14 million
            7 million for the cable/satellite etc, and 7 million to top rank.
            then the main even purses around 12 million, plus undercard purses, scum arum is down over $5 million before all those other revenue opportunities.

so your "$6M- $10M" becomes "loss of $1M-$5M left over"
            I don't think this hits 200k in sales either.

Comment

90% of PPV's are bought the day of the fight. The tracking for the fight was 100-150 K it might hit 200k but that would be where it tops out.

Both fighters had a higher guarantee than Spence/Garcia. Arum lost his shirt on that fight. That's why he was screaming boycott PBC & playing the race card after the fight. He needs Haymon to save him from a bad deal he signed.

People keep saying Crawford was ****** for resigning with Top Rank. Not me. That was the best decision he could've made. Arum was ****** resigning Crawford to that deal. Now he needs Haymon fighters to recoup his losses &.make good on the promises he made to ESPN .

Crawford's trainer/manager Bomac said Crawford would fight 3 times a year the next 3 years. I don't see that happening. Brook is a good fight but not PPV. Top Rank is losing money on Crawford's fights. A buyout may be imminent.
              Fake news......

Comment

Link? Source?

Not that I don't believe you, just wondering where you heard this from.

I remember when Crawford fought Postol on PPV, those numbers were terrible, how much were those numbers again? Like 60,000 ppv buys or was it 80,000, I forgot I just remember it being pretty bad.

Comment

LMAO TR and Bob are dinosaurs I don't get how they even have fans and supporters? Its clear they the ones who held up the MayPac fight for years.

Arum keeps all his fights in house to the point where he has no where to go or he loses his shirt like you said.

Look at everyone leave Bob to be their own boss or just to simply make more money and be happy: Floyd, Mikey Garcia, Pac, and probably Bud is next.

Comment

Quick, call Oscar about a Canelo fight @ 155!

Comment

I tend to doubt bean counter Arum is guaranteeing more than he's taking in for any fighters fights on a regular basis. I'm sure it happens & it mighta happened for this fight cuz while I didn't follow the guarantee news or have heard the PPV buy news my thoughts were the PPV is unlikely to do great so 200k or less checks out with my expectations. But its still dependent on the guarantee situation if TR lost money & I think Arum is a shrewd & calculated guy with his math.

Edit: Just did a quick search & its saying Bud was guaranteed $5.5M & Khan $5M. So with 150,000 to 200,000 buys being the rumor & $70 a pop that means the revenue from PPV was $10.5M-$14M so maybe they did lose some money on this one. With gate + misc. concession, sponsors, international rights & etc I doubt it was THAT much doe.

And idk if ESPN PPV is costing Arum as much money as standard PPV distributors were charging back in PPV's dinosaur days when they'd be giving up 45%-ish out of the gate. I think thats one of the benefits of streaming & ESPN & Fox getting into the streaming PPV game more.

As to this proposed buy out theory if thats possible I think that'd be the best move for Bud & if thats included in his potential plans respect to him. Maybe him signing was a good move despite me criticizing him for not testing his market value at the time. I criticize many fighters for not doing that, specifically TR fighters who seem to do it more often then other fighters, probably in fear of running afoul of TR like so many fighters have that have resulted in them losing years of their career in some cases.
                      Last edited by Eff Pandas; 04-24-2019, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X