No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: George Groves Decides To Retire From Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JcLazyX210 View Post
    Good luck with everything. You were fun to watch, I really wanted you to win against froch. I thought the ref should had let you keep going for Froch - Groves 1.
    Agreed.....

Comment

It was fun to watch him. Shame we will never see Groves against deGale.
      Last edited by JakeTheBoxer; 01-28-2019, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by apollocreed View Post
        No ****ing way is Froch bigger than Groves, sorry but that is absolute bull****. I respect Groves but you are making excuses for him there. If anything Groves is naturally bigger than Froch, he was a huge super middleweight.
        froch is 6'1" with a more muscular frame,groves is skinnier & is 6'0 simple physics tells you that groves is the naturally smaller man,so your saying bs.

Boxing is full of size fallacies that fans perpetuate. Such as Canelo supposedly being bigger than most his opponents,thats a fallacy as a fighters height is the single largest determining factor,wingspan is 2nd,when you calculate a fighters wingspan & height you can more or less deduce whos naturally bigger. EDIT just looked it up & Froch has a 75" rwach to groves 72" reach meaning froch is naturally much bigger since hes taller with much longer reach.

look at where groves pecks are in relation to frochs in the pic.
        Last edited by kushking; 01-28-2019, 03:30 PM.

Comment

It was the first encounter with Carl Froch which done some damage, everybody talks about the punishment that Carl Froch took? George Groves was beaten up for the duration of the fight also, watching that fight live was immense 'Carl Froch was incredible rough and physical with Groves in their first fight, I was very impressed with his conditioning' Carl Froch at 168 always seemed to have a very dense and heavy bone structure, dense muscle also. 'For me Groves was never the same after that first fight, partly due to the emotional trauma of believing that he was robbed! But also the beating he had taken'...

George Groves in my opinion was probably winning the second fight before he was knocked out, but I feel that it was a ingenious adaptations from Carl Froch which produced that type of fight 'Carl Froch turned the second fight into the 'War of the Jabs' Carl Froch when he used it had a very awkward and underrated Jab 'Smart tactics from Carl Froch which nobody expected'...

But yes George Groves has been a decent fighter and character within British boxing 'I don't ever think he should of left Adam Booth, both him and David Haye made mistakes leaving Booth! 'From my perspective, he gave both fighters a extra edge psychologically. I am a long time David Haye supporter, but without Adam Booth? He seemed too be searching for himself, especially in his last fight against Tony Bellew. Shane Mcguigan's padwork was nowhere near as good as Booth's also! the first thing I noticed when David Haye left Adam Booth was vivid change in is punching technique.
          Last edited by PRINCEKOOL; 01-28-2019, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kushking View Post
            froch is 6'1" with a more muscular frame,groves is skinnier & is 6'0 simple physics tells you that groves is the naturally smaller man,so your saying bs.

Boxing is full of size fallacies that fans perpetuate. Such as Canelo supposedly being bigger than most his opponents,thats a fallacy as a fighters height is the single largest determining factor,wingspan is 2nd,when you calculate a fighters wingspan & height you can more or less deduce whos naturally bigger. EDIT just looked it up & Froch has a 75" rwach to groves 72" reach meaning froch is naturally much bigger since hes taller with much longer reach.

look at where groves pecks are in relation to frochs in the pic.

I've just checked and found several sources all saying Froch is 6ft. Here's one.

https://bodyheightweight.com/carl-fr...-measurements/

Groves is a very stocky guy and naturally broader. froch is lean and wiry.

Comment

Sorry but I have to say - what do you think would have happened if the ref let the Froch one fight go any longer? One thing - it would have ended like Froch 2. Groves always had poor stamina and a shaky chin, they were his two weaknesses that prevented him from achieving more than he did.
              I still respect him for a good career though and having good skills and excellent power.
              Alot of fighters catch their second breath in the late rounds. Lennox used to do it all the time. Sht Froch does it too.

You never know.

Comment

Groves was one of my favorite prospects at one time, I enjoyed following his career. It was pretty awesome to see him follow up with his talk and put Froch down early in that fight, couldn't have had a better start. It was pretty much downhill from that point - even though he had plenty of moments after than in both Froch fights. He got himself in the hole vs Jack with the early knockdown and couldn't quite do enough to overtake him on the cards..then injuries started to pile on.

I agree with poster above about leaving Booth- I didn't like that because I don't think he ever held to a comprehensive gameplan except for the DEgale fight. He was always so eager - but that's what made him exciting too, and a fun personality I thought.

Build-ups to the Froch fights were some of my favorite times in recent years, funny ***** that was. Good luck champ!

Comment

Alot of fighters catch their second breath in the late rounds. Lennox used to do it all the time. Sht Froch does it too.

You never know.
                  Nah not Groves, that's wishful thinking. He always faded in the second half of fights, even ones he won. Stamina and chin were his big weaknesses, which conversely were two of Froch's biggest strengths.
                  You can't say 'other people have come back in fights, so Groves could have'. We aren't talking about other fighters, we're talking about Groves.

Comment

Nah not Groves, that's wishful thinking. He always faded in the second half of fights, even ones he won. Stamina and chin were his big weaknesses, which conversely were two of Froch's biggest strengths.
                    You can't say 'other people have come back in fights, so Groves could have'. We aren't talking about other fighters, we're talking about Groves.
                    Honestly I just think the first fight with Froch took his soul. Was he ready for the fight? Nope. Did he need a better trainer at the time ? Nope.

He started off strong and faded but he had that youth and adrenaline. He was beating froch to the punch. If I was the ref I would had let him go until he was laid out. Look at Fury, Khan and the rest who has questionable chins. Give them a chance this is for the unified belts.

Like Connor said to the ref let me go down on my own. Groves was not getting a doku Kim beating.

This whole thing is bringing up bad memories from the Chavez vs Taylor right.

Comment

Honestly I just think the first fight with Froch took his soul. Was he ready for the fight? Nope. Did he need a better trainer at the time ? Nope.

He started off strong and faded but he had that youth and adrenaline. He was beating froch to the punch. If I was the ref I would had let him go until he was laid out. Look at Fury, Khan and the rest who has questionable chins. Give them a chance this is for the unified belts.

Like Connor said to the ref let me go down on my own. Groves was not getting a doku Kim beating.

This whole thing is bringing up bad memories from the Chavez vs Taylor right.
                      We disagree on this man - I've had this conversation several times before.
                      Groves started brilliantly, that's undeniable. But he couldn't stop Froch. Froch took loads of big rights and they bounced off him.
                      After that, Groves was spent. If the fight wasn't stopped then, Groves would not have made a miraculous recovery and come back to win. No way.
                      We saw Froch still going for the kill in the final seconds of the twelfth against Taylor. He was a machine.
                      That's what Groves would be up against if the fight wasn't stopped then.

Comment

Working...
                      X