Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Anthony Joshua-Alexander Povetkin: Afterthoughts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe Ortiz beats Povetkin with ease..

But I agree: only one way to settle this. Make the Povetkin - Ortiz fight after Povetkin is cleared to fight. Will do great numbers on free TV...
    Last edited by davefromvancouv; 09-24-2018, 11:14 AM.

Comment

i rewatched the fight, and i think the judge that had it 5-1 was out of line. povetkin clearly won rounds 1 and 5, no contest. 2,3, and 4 could have gone either way depending on what a judge is looking for. 6 and 7 were clearly joshua rounds.

i would hope people can admit that povetkin was actually a good, tough challenger. forget the stuff about his age. if you saw him in the corner after round 3, he was clearly being affected by Joshua's jabs.

Comment

Originally posted by P4Pdunny View Post
        I had it probably about 3-3, thats just off the top of the head cos I wasn't scoring at the time. But look, these home cooked fighters most of the time get these silly scores in their favour. No way should AJ have been up that much.

It's like the Wilder fight with Ortiz, at the point of stoppage I had Ortiz up as did a lot of people but when they revealed the scores at the time of stoppage you know who was up on all three.

Just boxing I guess.
        Corruption unfortunately, home town fighters should not automatically be given a couple of rounds in the bank but they are

Comment

Originally posted by Adamsc151 View Post
          I could maybe make a case for the 2 Judges that had AJ 4-2 up, but not the one who had him up 5-1; he should have to answer questions in front of an inquiry. I had it 3-3, 2 definites for Povetkin, 2 definites for AJ, and 2 close rounds.
          It was a great tactic for AJ to jab to the body to slow Povetkin down and it worked, but he needs to be slightly quicker in-and-out himself as he got caught too often until halfway through 3rd round while going to the body.
          Povetkin is definitely on a par with Ortiz (both slightly below Klitschko), and I agree a fight between those 2 would be a cracker for as long as it lasts - would be a great undercard fight for AJ-Wilder in April......
          I had it 4-2 Povetkin like many others, but can see 3-3 maybe. 4-2 Joshua seems 'A side heavy', and yes, 5-1 just seems like he was going to give Joshua every round unless it was impossible not to give it to Povetkin.

And for sure, Povetkin/Ortiz would be a great undercard if Joshua/Wilder happens, as it sets up a winner vs winner fight, although I'm pretty sure Joshua v Povetkin II would never happen, although can see an angle for Wilder/Ortiz II given Ortiz almost had him out in the first fight, but Wilder/Povetkin or Joshua/Ortiz would be good depending on who comes out on top.

Fingers crossed we get the right fights.

Comment

I'm a Joshua fan and even I am admit that judging was terrible, luckily AJ took the fight out of the judges hands, home cooked judging needs to stop, it's really bad for boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by angkag View Post
              Two judges had Joshua 4-2 up and one had him 5-1 up after 6.

Once again the boxing judging system on show as the train wreck that it is.

Or maybe once again, the judges are so superior in their knowledge of boxing that the rest of us maggots have no idea what we are seeing.
              Which rounds did Povetkin win?

Comment

Originally posted by angkag View Post
                Just reading it in the UK newspapers - they also thought it was ridiculous. They (the newspaper) had Povetkin 4-2 up after 6, presumably giving Joshua the 4th and 6th.

It wasn't even that hard to score. If I were Wilder I'd look at this and know that in the absence of a KO or complete domination, he's going to get jobbed by the judges.
                Yet Joshua should go to the most corrupt country on the planet which is the US?

Ortiz was clearly winning their fight, yet the judges had Wilder winning. So yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by bluemax View Post
                  Stop trying to put lipstick on a pig!!! In the end Joshua once again fought a 39 year old guy he towered over and outweighed by almost 30 pounds!!!! He beat him and had a hard time doing it. All this fight did was to show why Joshua avoids any real punchers his own size like Ortiz or Wilder.
                  And yet Wilder was clearly losing to a lesser fighter in Ortiz and was nearly taken out. He was out on his feet for 2 rounds. But you have no problem with that? That's cause to give him credit but Joshua does a much better job against a better more proven fighter but he's slated?

It's not just the bias with Americans, it's the pure ******ity that comes with it. So well done.

Comment

Originally posted by davefromvancouv View Post
                    I believe Ortiz beats Povetkin with ease..

But I agree: only one way to settle this. Make the Povetkin - Ortiz fight after Povetkin is cleared to fight. Will do great numbers on free TV...
                    Ortiz couldn't even make easy work against a bum in Jennings. He lost 2 rounds in that fight. Against a bum. Povetkin will take advantage of Ortiz only having 2 rounds of stamina by making him work from the off. After 3 rounds Ortiz would be spent and knocked out only for Wilder fans to claim Ortiz wasn't the same after he beat him so the win means nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by LetOutTheCage View Post
                      Corruption unfortunately, home town fighters should not automatically be given a couple of rounds in the bank but they are
                      Tell me which rounds Povetkin won?

Comment

Working...
                      X