No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Anthony Joshua Drops, Stops Alexander Povetkin in Seventh

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KnickTillDeaTh View Post
    I know you felt confident in that list but, Takam and Rahman, bums. Byrd was almost 8 years removed from his best win, was on a severe decline past his prime. He defeated Duahapas a year after Wilder did it, if no one will give Wilder credit for that, the same standard should be held for Povetkin. The other 2 are pretty solid fighters, but they are c+ to B fighters at best. So yeah the names sound awesome, but when you take the time to break them down, it's sub par opposition. His resume is slightly better than Ortiz's, but not enough to suggest a higher level of ability. Winning in the olympics really doesn't mean much now does it? The amount of fighters who never go to the Olympics and become extraordinary fighters is astronomical. I mean, Wilder started boxing at the age of 22 and won bronze at the age of 23.
    I agree, they’re second or third tier fighters... yet still equal to or better than anyone on Ortiz’s resume no? So what makes you so confident that Ortiz is the better fighter?

You can suggest he is the better technician, more powerful etc... but where is the proof? Who has he beaten to make everyone so confident he’s a threat to Joshua etc. All I see is a 40 year old fighter, who’s never won anything of note and struggled when he’s stepped up a level in opposition.

Comment

• AJ took a lot of punches to the head. Surely he won't be able to take that many against Deontay Wilder. Wilder punches way too hard. Like one of the other guys said on this forum AJ is a KO waiting to happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by sterilizer View Post
        It's exotic to me, a person with a boring Canadian-American accent. At least boring to me. BTW my boyfriend is from the area where A Christmas Carol, 1984 version with George C Scott, was filmed. You're from the UK, you perfectly must know what area I'm referring to. My BF's accent is awesome, I love it, but I also love Joshua's, because it is way less "standard," and i even have a little bit of trouble sometimes understanding everything he says. To each their own, IDK, some people may find the North American English accent fascinating. I don't. Joshua's, to me, is VERY exotic.
        Shrewsbury ??? That’s even worse than Watford. Lol. I take it you have Visited the U.K. if your boyfriend resides here ?

Comment

I know you felt confident in that list but, Takam and Rahman, bums. Byrd was almost 8 years removed from his best win, was on a severe decline past his prime. He defeated Duahapas a year after Wilder did it, if no one will give Wilder credit for that, the same standard should be held for Povetkin. The other 2 are pretty solid fighters, but they are c+ to B fighters at best. So yeah the names sound awesome, but when you take the time to break them down, it's sub par opposition. His resume is slightly better than Ortiz's, but not enough to suggest a higher level of ability. Winning in the olympics really doesn't mean much now does it? The amount of fighters who never go to the Olympics and become extraordinary fighters is astronomical. I mean, Wilder started boxing at the age of 22 and won bronze at the age of 23.
          Would also argue Povetkin looks like a much sharper and more accurate puncher than Ortiz especially when looking at Ortiz's performance against Dave Allen just swinging and missing so much against a low level guy.

I'm not saying Ortiz is rubbish but he's definitely not head and shoulders above Povetkin like your making out. A lot of people can look good and show different abilities on the bag or against low level competition (I'm sure Wilder could look like Mayweather if he wanted to out 'skill' me) but it's another thing doing it against top fighters.

Comment

• Originally posted by nick_viking View Post
            I agree, they’re second or third tier fighters... yet still equal to or better than anyone on Ortiz’s resume no? So what makes you so confident that Ortiz is the better fighter?

You can suggest he is the better technician, more powerful etc... but where is the proof? Who has he beaten to make everyone so confident he’s a threat to Joshua etc. All I see is a 40 year old fighter, who’s never won anything of note and struggled when he’s stepped up a level in opposition.
            Your hung on who the boxer has fought or beaten. That's not what we are talking about, we are talking about the ability of the fighters themselves. Let me give you an example. Many will argue that Pac has a better resume than Mayweather, however Mayweather is the far better boxer. Many will argue that Forman had a more successful career than Ali, but Ali was the far better boxer. Hopkins better career, Roy Jones better boxer. I mean the list goes on. So Ortiz being the better tactician, ability to fight in and out, harder puncher, best counter puncher in the heavyweight division. If you stack the abilities of the two together, it's clear that Ortiz is better. It doesn't mean he'd win. Tyson in his prime was better than Hollyfield in his prime, but I believe 8 out of 10 times Hollyfiled would win. Skill, resume, and who'd win are 3 completely different questions.

Comment

• Didn't watch the fight was it a legit stoppage?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jax teller View Post
                Would also argue Povetkin looks like a much sharper and more accurate puncher than Ortiz especially when looking at Ortiz's performance against Dave Allen just swinging and missing so much against a low level guy.

I'm not saying Ortiz is rubbish but he's definitely not head and shoulders above Povetkin like your making out. A lot of people can look good and show different abilities on the bag or against low level competition (I'm sure Wilder could look like Mayweather if he wanted to out 'skill' me) but it's another thing doing it against top fighters.
                No, I think you have me mixed up with some one else. I never said Ortiz was that much better than Povetkin. I just think that the sum of all Ortiz's abilities makes him the better fighter of the two. Ortiz is a power counter puncher who right now is trying to be a come forward knock out puncher so he can excite crowds, gain some fans, and secure a big fight. He missed a lot because that's not his style of fight. He moves in and out but he is primarily a counter puncher.

Comment

• Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                  Didn't watch the fight was it a legit stoppage?
                  yeah, the reff could of even stopped it after the first KD, povetkin was knocked half out of the ring, showed a hell of a chin to be able to get up in the first place.

Comment

Your hung on who the boxer has fought or beaten. That's not what we are talking about, we are talking about the ability of the fighters themselves. Let me give you an example. Many will argue that Pac has a better resume than Mayweather, however Mayweather is the far better boxer. Many will argue that Forman had a more successful career than Ali, but Ali was the far better boxer. Hopkins better career, Roy Jones better boxer. I mean the list goes on. So Ortiz being the better tactician, ability to fight in and out, harder puncher, best counter puncher in the heavyweight division. If you stack the abilities of the two together, it's clear that Ortiz is better. It doesn't mean he'd win. Tyson in his prime was better than Hollyfield in his prime, but I believe 8 out of 10 times Hollyfiled would win. Skill, resume, and who'd win are 3 completely different questions.
                    Yep, I’m hung up on that as it is the only evidence.

Again, how are you assessing that Ortiz is the better tactician, harder puncher, better counter puncher if not based on who he has fought and how he has performed?

Ability means nothing if it is not realised in the ring.

Comment

• Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                      Didn't watch the fight was it a legit stoppage?
                      I am one who would have liked to see the ref give Povetkin one more chance. I think he would have gone down for good anyway, but the ref did get in there pretty quick the second time. But so did Povetkins corner man. He ran up there like he was trying to catch a kid falling out a tree. There's no reason for the stoppage to shade the win, I thought it was a little fast, but it also looked inevitable at that point.

Comment

Working...
                      X