Comments Thread For: Anthony Joshua Drops, Stops Alexander Povetkin in Seventh

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome right hook from Joshua.

Comment

• I said yesterday after evaluating boxers 37 and beyond, it didn’t bode well for Povetkin. Didn’t get a chance to see the fight. Going to find it and watch it now. But it looks like a very solid win for Joshua. Give him props. I’m reading he knocked him senseless. Can’t wait for him and Wilder IF it ever happens.

Comment

• I have to admit, reading the post fight stuff, 39 year old Povetkin or not, the guy has never been stopped. Not f@cked up like that. That stoppage by Joshua makes the Wilder fight even more interesting. Can Wilder take Joshua’s shots. He weathered the storm with Ortiz but Joshua is a finisher. And Wilder is too, can Joshua take his shots. I hope that fight gets made.

Comment

• Originally posted by D4thincarnation View Post
          Both allowed to take drugs
          That sounds fair to me

Let there be juice!

Comment

• Originally posted by KnickTillDeaTh View Post
            As I've said on these forums before, resume does not determine the ability of the fighter. Vlad has a far more impressive resume than his brother Vitali, but Vitali was the far more impressive fighter. The question is not who has the best resume (which is funny because what has Povetkin done?), the question is who's the better fighter, When you break down the ability of each fighter, the intangibles, Ortiz comes out on top. Remember, the better fighter doesn't always win, that's a different question.
            I appreciate the argument about resume, but Povetkins is solid - wins over Takam, Byrd, Rahman, Charr, Duahapas, Chagaev etc. Add to that he was a standout amateur, winning Olympic and world gold whilst Ortiz’s most notable win was Mike Perez... that would put the pedigree in favour of Povetkin.

My argument with Ortiz is that you have no solid way of determining his ability because of his lack of high quality opposition. Yes he may look great against mediocre opposition, but the fact is he has no wins over anyone at an elite level. He is getting a big bump on the basis of being stopped by Wilder. Yes he outboxed Wilder for a period, but so did Spilka and Washington - doesn’t make them heavyweight boogeymen.

Comment

• Originally posted by nick_viking View Post
              I appreciate the argument about resume, but Povetkins is solid - wins over Takam, Byrd, Rahman, Charr, Duahapas, Chagaev etc. Add to that he was a standout amateur, winning Olympic and world gold whilst Ortiz’s most notable win was Mike Perez... that would put the pedigree in favour of Povetkin.

My argument with Ortiz is that you have no solid way of determining his ability because of his lack of high quality opposition. Yes he may look great against mediocre opposition, but the fact is he has no wins over anyone at an elite level. He is getting a big bump on the basis of being stopped by Wilder. Yes he outboxed Wilder for a period, but so did Spilka and Washington - doesn’t make them heavyweight boogeymen.
              I know you felt confident in that list but, Takam and Rahman, bums. Byrd was almost 8 years removed from his best win, was on a severe decline past his prime. He defeated Duahapas a year after Wilder did it, if no one will give Wilder credit for that, the same standard should be held for Povetkin. The other 2 are pretty solid fighters, but they are c+ to B fighters at best. So yeah the names sound awesome, but when you take the time to break them down, it's sub par opposition. His resume is slightly better than Ortiz's, but not enough to suggest a higher level of ability. Winning in the olympics really doesn't mean much now does it? The amount of fighters who never go to the Olympics and become extraordinary fighters is astronomical. I mean, Wilder started boxing at the age of 22 and won bronze at the age of 23.

Comment

• Originally posted by KnickTillDeaTh View Post
                And Frazier beat Ali, then went on to get utterly destroyed by Forman, who then lost to an older out his prime Ali, who went back and just barely beat Frazier in a rematch. If triangle theories worked, than boxing would be a different sport. Try to keep the assessment of a match up based on the abilities of the fighters, that's a real boxing assessment.
                Completely invalid comparison Washington is not anywhere near the level of those guys relative to this era, do you think he'd beat any of the current top HW's?

Wilder should not be being out boxed by such low regarded fighters. I would fancy the chances of aggressive fighters like Whyte getting him out of the ring due to Wilders lack of ability, maybe even over AJ's chances as he seems a little gun shy still.

Comment

• That was a nice win for Joshua. Povetkin has power in each hand and is dangerous early. I expected Joshua to win, but I can see that one going down as an underrated win for Joshua.

Fair play to Povetkin, he went for it and troubled Joshua.
                  Joshua started to time Povetkin better as the fight went on, and that was a pretty brutal KO.

Decent fight

Comment

• Originally posted by Jax teller View Post
                    Completely invalid comparison Washington is not anywhere near the level of those guys relative to this era, do you think he'd beat any of the current top HW's?

Wilder should not be being out boxed by such low regarded fighters. I would fancy the chances of aggressive fighters like Whyte getting him out of the ring due to Wilders lack of ability, maybe even over AJ's chances as he seems a little gun shy still.
                    Which Wilder are we talking about? The one that didn't start boxing till the age of 21, turned pro at 23? The world beater who had a minimal amateur career so he's been pretty much learning on the job? It was't a comparison, it was an example of how saying because one person couldn't handle this person, then it stands to reason they wouldn't handle that person. It's an invalid assessment on your part. For instance, Ortiz is a far better boxer than Washington, how come he didn't defeat Wilder? It's funny though how you thought I was comparing abilities, lol. Ali is the greatest boxer of all time, come on now.

Comment

• How about Joshua take on Ortiz for a tune up while waiting for Wilder and Fury to sort things out?

Comment

Working...
                      X