Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Wilder: I Wasn't Hurt; Didn't Think Ref Would Stop Fight in 7th

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He was hurt, that much was clear. However, he did incredibly well to survive, regroup, show much better defence than I thought he had and then turn the tables on Ortiz.

Comment

Originally posted by HarvardBlue View Post
      I don't think he was that hurt. He was still aware of the punches coming and made Ortiz miss. I noticed that in the first Stiverne fight. Whenever Stiverne connected with anything he was able to avoid taking more punches. This might be the difference in a fight with Joshua. I still think Joshua is the better fighter, but Wilder's ability to stay focused when he's in danger gives him opportunity to get the win. Wilder's biggest problem is staying focused when he has his opponent hurt, not necessarily when he is hurt. You would think it was the opposite.
      This is probably the most critical takeaway coming out of this fight. He seems to be able to keep a level head when taking punches. Went back to check out fights when he has been caught. His eyes are always on the punches coming at him. He obviously doesn't evade them all but he definitely is aware that they're coming, which really is critical for not being knocked down.

I agree that you'd think it would be the opposite, regarding his lack of focus when he smells blood, but there are few things about this guy that is conventional lol

I'm honestly learning a lot reading/listening to some of the opinions about him from guys like Lee Wylie, and Nazeem Richardson. There was also an anecdotal story about him getting dropped by Klitchscko in sparring but getting right back up to finish the session (think it was on this site). Apparently Manny Steward thought that was impressive.

He might not be the most aesthetically pleasing, but he appears to be made of the right stuff.
      Last edited by Butch.McRae; 03-05-2018, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AdonisCreed View Post
        I know some of those punches hurt Ortiz is a big dude ain't no way he wasn't hurt. But props to Wilder for not folding, he could have easily bowed out. He showed the heart of a champ.
        Well said, bro. Wilder was hurt. He still had some of his faculty though which enabled him to hold, slip sometimes and even try to throw back. But, if it had gone 30 seconds longer, I think he may have been put out completely.

Comment

Originally posted by Raggamuffin View Post
          The extra time didn’t help him.
          True. Wilder seemed surprised when they wanted to check him out. Wilder walked comfortably to his side after the 7th round onslaught. He was not staggering that much, if any, going to his corner. I was surprised about that - it felt like watching the drunken master.

Comment

Originally posted by sotgoda View Post
            True. Wilder seemed surprised when they wanted to check him out. Wilder walked comfortably to his side after the 7th round onslaught. He was not staggering that much, if any, going to his corner. I was surprised about that - it felt like watching the drunken master.
            you guys are on crack if you think that extra time didn't help

Comment

Originally posted by Butch.McRae View Post
              This is probably the most critical takeaway coming out of this fight. He seems to be able to keep a level head when taking punches. Went back to check out fights when he has been caught. His eyes are always on the punches coming at him. He obviously doesn't evade them all but he definitely is aware that they're coming, which really is critical for not being knocked down.

I agree that you'd think it would be the opposite, regarding his lack of focus when he smells blood, but there are few things about this guy that is conventional lol

I'm honestly learning a lot reading/listening to some of the opinions about him from guys like Lee Wylie, and Nazeem Richardson. There was also an anecdotal story about him getting dropped by Klitchscko in sparring but getting right back up to finish the session (think it was on this site). Apparently Manny Steward thought that was impressive.

He might not be the most aesthetically pleasing, but he appears to be made of the right stuff.
              I've been saying for quite a while that Wilder is better than he's portrayed on this site. We saw Saturday what he's capable doing of when he is truly focused.

Comment

Originally posted by sotgoda View Post
                Well said, bro. Wilder was hurt. He still had some of his faculty though which enabled him to hold, slip sometimes and even try to throw back. But, if it had gone 30 seconds longer, I think he may have been put out completely.
                Or maybe Ortiz punch himself out and wilder finish Ortiz in 8th round

Comment

Of course he was hurt, and his legs were gone for a good while after that round.

Comment

The bronze bomber was rocked. He dug deep and won the fight. The division is finally interesting. Who ever comes to unify the titles will be recognized as the Heavyweight Champion. Wilder needs to face the winner of Parker and Joshua. I think whoever can rock Wilder and maintain that pressure will be him. Ortiz had the skills but his decrease height and reach was the difference...

Comment

Originally posted by woo9115 View Post
                      The bronze bomber was rocked. He dug deep and won the fight. The division is finally interesting. Who ever comes to unify the titles will be recognized as the Heavyweight Champion. Wilder needs to face the winner of Parker and Joshua. I think whoever can rock Wilder and maintain that pressure will be him. Ortiz had the skills but his decrease height and reach was the difference...
                      Ortiz has bigger reach than Wilder.

Comment

Working...
                      X