Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Roy Jones: Mayweather is TBE? Never Came Close To What I Did!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cigar View Post
    He's right about being much better than Floyd but out of his mind to disparage Sugar Ray Robinson. Robinson is the GOAT, the BOAT, or whatever other acronym you want to use. Roy doesn't come close to him.
    You got clips of SRR?
    Did you watch him fight live?

Comment

I had the pleasure and privilege to follow Roy's career during his prime. I can tell you there were few fighters who were as exciting to watch. His speed and reflexes were off the charts. Like any fighter, he had his weaknesses, but it wasn't until he came down from HW that we saw a rapid decline in his reflexes. He was a shell of the man he was at 168, which was Jones at his best. P4P I would rank Jones higher than Mayweather any day.

I still rank Robinson above Jones. Robinson had 199 pro fights and was only stopped once inside the distance, and that was from heat exhaustion. Great footwork, hand-speed, solid chin, power, reflexes, he had it all.

Comment

Originally posted by Dosumpthin View Post
        Wrong.
        And I'm a huge Roy fan....one of the greatest offensive talents and athleticism. But be for real.

He isn't close to TBE.

Example. Roy literally fought a fire fighter. He was a great fighter amongst a weak division. Not his fault but it's the truth. Roy was plagued with a weak resume for years.

Ruiz was a paper champ. Don't believe the hype. Tyson/Lewis wouldve broken his eyesocket. No one took it seriously.

Finally fought a guy with a pulse in Tarver.....the rest is history.

You coudnt be more wrong.
        Floyd doesnt have a prime james toney ,
        B hop or prime griffin on his resume.he doesnt even have a hill on it.

Floyd has a bunch of vinny pazienzas . Floyd doesnt have a ruiz on his resume. you mentioned tarver , roy gained muscle and added over 25 pounds of it to fight ruiz .

Do you scientifically know what that does to the human body when to try to quickly shed tyat same muscle just a short time later to try and make a weight below you??

He still beat tarver in fight 1. He also damaged his body and you could see he wasnt the same in that win from the get go. he looked weak and drained. Then he lost by a flash knockout. Then he goes all 12 and had his moments.

Most people think floyd lost to maidana in fight 1. Shht I think floyd thinks he lost to maidana in fight 1. Not to mention castillo clearly beat floyd in fight 1. To his credit he beat them fair and square in the rematches.

Roy jones moved up 25 pounds to fight a guy who still outweighed him by 35 pounds in a tough mugging ruiz. Thats a tremendous accomplishment.

Floyd wouldnt even fight GGG at 160 or
        Froch at 168 , or jack at 175 .

Comment

Originally posted by j.razor View Post
          How can you say that? Nooo Boooodddddyyyy did what Floyd did. Floyd dominated the game for 20years. Take all those fighters you named & go through their resume & see how many good opponents they beat. Floyd has beat MORE QUALITY opponents than anyone in HISTORY, more HOF's than anyone, 5 division champ, ect. Floyd is the ONLY Fighter in history that beat boxing. T.B.E.
          in the era of endless belts how impressive is that really in context? .. if the sport was flooded with belts during sugar ray robinson era he would have maybe 70 "world champions" on his resume. i mean look at broner, a "4 time world champ" lol you think that undisciplined mofo would have even 1 belt during the 80's? doubt it. another example is matthysse. hes now a "world champion" after beating a bum with a padded record. a belt the WBA created from thin air. "super" and "regular". point is being "world champion" doesnt carry the same clout it used to.

and what i mean by "dominant" is that there was never any stretch in floyds career where i wouldve picked him to beat leonard, hearns, chavez, duran, pryor, robinson or winky wright. . but there was a long stretch in roy's career where I would've favored him to beat anybody in boxing history. thats what i mean by "dominant". you give me the best version of floyd and put him against the best version of duran at 135 and im picking duran by destruction. thats my point.

and u say floyd has more "quality opponents" than anyone in history? sugar ray beat prime hearns, prime hagler, prime duran and prime benitez. give me four wins on floyds resume that are better "quality" than that.
          Last edited by future hendrixx; 02-06-2018, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Roy went up to fight a Bum heavyweight! Stop it Roy! Then got KOD by Glen johnson and travor? Floyds prime lasted longer. I love Roy too but I feel like he never had an real challenge he was too damn good for everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCell8 View Post
              The problem is that Roy really damaged his legacy by fighting too long.
              Thank you!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DreamFighter View Post
                but that is your perception, not of people who grew up with prime roy.

you need to think outside your own perception.
                I grew up with prime Roy & I thought he was the best but I won't deny the fact that Floyd is T.B.E.

Comment

Originally posted by future hendrixx View Post
                  had roy retired after ruiz he would be correct. from the early 90's to 2004. that version of roy I would favor to beat anyone in history. even robinson.

i remember there were talks of him facing tyson after ruiz. i think roy would've beaten that faded version of 2003 mike.

floyd was never as dominant for any stretch of his career. even floyd at his absolute best i would pick guys like robinson, duran, pryor, chavez, whitaker, leonard, hearns and even winky wright to beat him.

so if we delete everything after 2004 roy is 100% correct.
                  Ruiz was an Bum period! I am not giving roy that bs I am sorry I wouldn't

Comment

Originally posted by King Jaffe Joffer View Post
                    Roy was still young when Tarver slept him, while at the same age Floyd schooled a great Canelo
                    Facts!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• I think Sugar Ray Leonard is better than Floyd or Roy.

Comment

Working...
                      X