No announcement yet.

Was PBC a Complete Waste of Time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
    1. He should do much bigger numbers on tv than on premium cable.

2. How many ppvs has he headlined? Garcia, Porter, and now Spence. How many big network fights does Thurman and Pbc need to turn him into a major draw.

3. If Thurman and Pbc doing big numbers then why no tv deal after 3 years. How long does it take to prove a concept?
    The whole point is not to do PPV’s and Thurman is the biggest advocate of PPV’s.

So explain again, how has his fame decreased if he’s doing bigger #’s in front of a wider audience?

Comment

Have they run out of money yet?

Comment

An obvious industry alt troll.

How practical of a question regarding PBC when this weekend's fight isn't intriguing...

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
          The whole point is not to do PPV’s and Thurman is the biggest advocate of PPV’s.

So explain again, how has his fame decreased if he’s doing bigger #’s in front of a wider audience?
          So what was the point?

To spend for 3 years, and never get paid? That was PBC plan?

Tv deal? Nope... failed

Getting paid by networks... nope failed

And lmao at not wanting to be on ppv..

Wwe and ufc both use tv to promote their big money making ppvs.

Why the **** did haymon put Floyd-manny on ppv if it’s better to be on tv?

Comment

Great success for Hymen(pocketing all that money, while doing next to nothing) and his fighters(fighting nobidies once a year pocketing huge paydays), but not so much for the fans getting crap fights.

Comment

So what was the point?

To spend for 3 years, and never get paid? That was PBC plan?

Tv deal? Nope... failed

Getting paid by networks... nope failed

And lmao at not wanting to be on ppv..

Wwe and ufc both use tv to promote their big money making ppvs.

Why the **** did haymon put Floyd-manny on ppv if it’s better to be on tv?
              You’re raisig a different argument. I’m glad to tackle it, but not until after I complete my original point.

You initimated that three years ago, Keith Thurman was a rising star and that his star power had diminished since.

Yet within those three years, he’s been watched by more people over a larger audience, by a good amount.

So how are you quantifying diminished star power when he’s selling more?

Comment

You’re raisig a different argument. I’m glad to tackle it, but not until after I complete my original point.

You initimated that three years ago, Keith Thurman was a rising star and that his star power had diminished since.

Yet within those three years, he’s been watched by more people over a larger audience, by a good amount.

So how are you quantifying diminished star power when he’s selling more?

Totally false...

Completely inaccurate

I never said it diminished anything..

Quote me and bold it so I can tell wtf you are talking about.

I said they are in the same spot as they were.. and they are..

Thurman-ghost 1 was the first big Pbc fight..

Flash forward 3 years and Thurman hasn’t risen above though he has had 3 marquee fights heavily promoted

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                  Showtime increased the money that they're willing to spend on boxing, significantly from when the PBC effort started.

If Haymon does end up with a deal for their "feeder fights" (no different than the UFC's bifurcated deal, Showtime/CBS is the premium content deal for PBC, while a network deal helps deliver good fights to the public that can get paid off on free TV, but the biggest fights would still go to Showtime, who have not felt the need to push PPV if not absolutely necessary to deliver the fight).

Once the initial deal gets done, networks will monitor what the numbers look like and gauge the value of a focused content folder delivering competitive fights to FS1 with really good fights with name fighters on FOX.

Excluding the seeming 20-25 top cards that Showtime/CBS seems set to be buyers of for the foreseeable future (everything short of Wilder-Joshua, Wilder-Joshua 2, Thurman-Spence to unify the WBC/WBA/IBF belts, and fights for the undisputed heavyweight championship in the US, should be able to be financed for Showtime or CBS), Haymon is basically positioned to deliver 50 first-run live sporting events to any broadcaster looking for content (FOX/FS1, NBC/NBCSN, and possibly CBS Sports Network all need content).

A long game here, but there's a method that one can see to the effort; NBC just paid $1b for a 6-year deal for the EPL, with that number likely going up significantly in the next round of talks.

The deal starts at $100m a year (I doubt that PBC will want to sign a ten-year deal to start, and I doubt a broadcaster won't want to sign for less than 4 years of commitment), and Haymon makes the sister channel instantly something that fans have to tune in to (who then have the opportunity to follow the other content being put on the sister channel, giving some folks a reason to tune in when the fights aren't on)
                  I guess only time will tell, there’s a whole lot of uncertainty regarding what PBC/Haymon does in the future. I hope it succeeds cause the more competition in boxing and more boxing on TV the better IMO.
                  However I am doubtful PBC is around all that much longer. I expect Haymon to stick around and still be a big player on Showtime, but the whole PBC concept seems to be becoming less relevant year after year.

Comment

Totally false...

Completely inaccurate

I never said it diminished anything..

Quote me and bold it so I can tell wtf you are talking about.

I said they are in the same spot as they were.. and they are..

Thurman-ghost 1 was the first big Pbc fight..

Flash forward 3 years and Thurman hasn’t risen above though he has had 3 marquee fights heavily promoted
                    But how did you quantify that?

His numbers are amog boxing’s highest the past three years. So if anything, it’s the reverse.

Comment

But how did you quantify that?

His numbers are amog boxing’s highest the past three years. So if anything, it’s the reverse.
                      His numbers were good on HBO

Yes he is a boxing star, but so is everyone else in boxing that is on tv.

thurman
                      loma
                      crawford
                      wilder

None are mainstream superstars, none draw huge money.

PBC has to pay to get thurmans fights shown ffs

PBC had a legit chance to change the game, and blow up the whole industry, but instead they kept the status quo of boxing and just moved channels.

Boxing on network tv was supposed to slowly bring boxing back to the mainstream like it was for 100 years til the late 90s

like i said before, great idea, poor execution

Comment

Working...
                      X