Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: HBO's Lampley: Mayweather-McGregor a Scam, Rematch in Play

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appreciate the candid thoughts Jim; you certainly summed up the situation concisely yet when someone of your stature makes comments about a re-match, all that does is put fuel to the fire as everyone will respond, rumours will abound, probably Floyd and Conor will feel obliged to come out and answer the allegations of such a high profile member of the boxing press.

I don't believe Lampley's intent was to promote a rematch as the fight was televised on Showtime, but it's certain he will be giving the rematch possibility more momentum and impetus as both camps vow to prove the first fight was not staged, particularly the premature stoppage will be a major selling point for a rematch as MacGregor will maintain he wasn't allowed the opportunity to go out on 'his shield'.

I found the fight a little more entertaining than expected, and find it difficult to swallow such a cynical theory such that both fighters merely followed a script reminiscent of WWE.

MacGregor showed good boxing (or striking skills) in the first few rounds but ultimately didn't have the proper boxing ability to truly wind up and twist his torso and feet to generate power like skilled punchers. His shots degenerated into awkward slaps with his chin held high and didn't know how to unleash power shots when he had Floyd trapped in the corners.

I don't care if there's a rematch or other crossover fights, but unless we see some compelling bouts, fans will very quickly ignore these sideshows. The true negative is that it drains press capital and investment as well as PPV numbers for the truly mega-fights like we perhaps saw with Canelo-GGG.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
      is it not a scam? floyds career was mostly a scam and well promoted cherry picking but at least he was fighting boxers even if they werent that great. now hes just picking any random celebrity or sports figure. he cherry picked so hard he cherry picked himself out of boxing
      Lol, that's what's known as "transcending boxing"!

Impossible to say whether the fight was fixed - as in, the oucome planned and predetermined - because Floyd would have been able to beat McTapper just as easily whether or not.
      Last edited by kafkod; 10-25-2017, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Lampley is still hating! He will never forgive Floyd for taking his talents to Showtime!

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
          LOL I hope he is wrong about this. The fight was somewhat competitive but Mac can't get any better. He needs years of time in boxing to fight at that level. Jeez.

If people buy this again, especially the Irish, than they are dumber than I ever imagined.
          Anybody dumb enough to think McTapper had a chance of winning is too dumb to learn anything from the fight.

A rematch, under boxing rules, wouldn't sell anything like as well though, because the novelty/mystery aspect which drew in a lot of people is gone now.
          Last edited by kafkod; 10-25-2017, 05:16 AM.

Comment

How about annual charity Christmas boxing match between May and Mac? The suspense would be building every year as presumably one day May would become old enough for Mac to beat him? Or perhaps Mac would retire with dementia after getting KOd each year? Great suspense - stay tuned!!!

Comment

I agree 100% with Jim. I have actually said the same things on this board that Jim did. Furthermore, if anyone really thinks Mac did so well in the fight cause of talent and Floyd not carrying him , then they really aren't a true boxing fan.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmt View Post
                Floyd fans have to be feeling like one of his women. They continue getting beat yet keep coming back.
                Actually, it's not his FANS that fall in this category.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  When was boxing as a honest sport a thing?
                  Fair point.

Comment

He's 100% right, this sh** should be outlawed..they are scamming ignorant people of their money..that Irish clown can't even throw a proper jab and most of you would still pay to watch that fake circus show.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                      is it not a scam? floyds career was mostly a scam and well promoted cherry picking but at least he was fighting boxers even if they werent that great. now hes just picking any random celebrity or sports figure. he cherry picked so hard he cherry picked himself out of boxing
                      Stop being salty...the likes of gatti, corales, maidana,cotto,pacquiao, de la hoya etc are no cherry picks..only a hater would deny his achievements but this sh** does not make any sense and should be forbidden in the sport of boxing like i said before.

Comment

Working...
                      X