Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hunter: 'Honest' Critics Will Remember Andre Ward as a Great

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ward is definitely great..........

Ward is an ATG super middleweight and a gold medalist. You would have to put Ward in top 5 all time super middle weights and top ten LHW. Not sure why that wouldn't make him great considering how long the sport has been around.

Comment

Because of his defensive style and lack of big time fights he may be adored by boxing critics but a majority of fight fans will forget about him.

.......many already have.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirus View Post
        He will be remembered as a dirty fighter.
        Unfortunately, this is the case.

I was a massive fan of Ward up until a few weeks ago. I never realized how dirty he fought until I saw a compilation video of his nasty work.

I'm still battling with the idea of how good Andre really was? If he didn't use those dirty tactics, would he still have won all those fights?

Comment

Originally posted by club fighter View Post
          Because of his defensive style and lack of big time fights he may be adored by boxing critics but a majority of fight fans will forget about him.

.......many already have.
          Yet you're in here talking about him. Nobody has forgotten Ward lol. That's wishful thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by buddyr View Post
            but according to what I was quoting, they're "all time greats' for their ability to make the crowd cheer. Gatti was an overhyped club fighter. Very exciting, but against the top fighters, he got his azz whipped. Plus he was saved from a ko against Patterson the 2nd time.
            Your lack of boxing knowledge is confusing you. I will try and dumb it down just for you. I said there is a difference between GREAT BOXERS and GREAT FIGHTERS. A GREAT BOXER is someone like Andre Ward, they have undeniable skill & in terms of pure boxing science (hit and don’t get it) are amongst the best in the world. However, because of their refusal to put excitement & entertainment first they often have an extremely low/small fan base, are often engaged in fights so boring you change the channel after 3 rounds. They don’t sell a lot tickets, they don’t sell a lot of PPV’s....while their talent and skill is undisputable, their courage, blood & guts warrior spirit is non-existent, once they retire they are seldom mentioned as most people remember them as boring & lacking the warrior spirit the sport is famous for. Another example is of a GREAT BOXER, but lame as hell fighter is Rigondeaux.

Now a GREAT FIGHTER is a guy like Arturo Gatti. A guy who despite a lack of pure boxing skills has an enormous cult like following, is talked about 10+ years after his death, sold out arenas and was a huge draw and star. Win, lose or draw all of a GREAT FIGHTERS fights are exciting. They have your heart pounding and palms sweaty before the bell even rings your so excited.
            They captivate hardcore and casual fans alike with their determination and unwillingness to take a step back in retreat. They lay it all the line every fight, they fight through injury and pain to win. Their highlight videos give you goosebumps and make you wanna go to the boxing gym.
            They are the guys that end up on walls immortalized in posters. The guys that despite having multiple losses on their records are still huge in the sport.

Arturo Gatti was a great fighter. He was not a great boxer.

Andre Ward was a great BOXER. He was not a great FIGHTER.

Do you understand now?

Comment

Beat atg froch and kovalev.

Comment

Of course he's a great. How can you make a case against it?

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                  what does he mean honest?

If we're being honest, he should have been DQd against Kessler and Kovalev. That's honesty. If we're being honest, he lost to KOvalev in the first fight. If we're being honest he got a couple of gimmes in the super six. If we're being honest, his only stand out win is over Froch. If we're being honest that is.
                  oh ****, soul dropping some truth bombs.

Comment

Very good fighter, at the least he was one of the best Super Middleweights ever, but there are question marks that were already pointed out.

The first fight against Kovalev was close I thought Kovalev won. Then the second fight the stoppage was really bad.

And he was very dirty against Kovalev and Kessler and got away with it which was weird.
                    Last edited by hrt3333; 10-09-2017, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hrt3333 View Post
                      Very good fighter, at the least he was one of the best Super Middleweights ever... but there are question marks though. The first fight against Kovalev was close I thought Kovalev won. Then the second fight the stoppage was really bad.
                      Didn't he answer that question with the knockout?

Comment

Working...
                      X