Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Canelo Considers Golovkin Fight Bigger Than Mayweather Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Butch.McRae View Post
    For him? Yes, I agree.

For boxing? Hmm maybe, that could be argued in a few years after we get a chance to look back on it.

Culturally? Not a chance. People thought Floyd could lose that night. The 2.5 million buys reflect that.
    I agree. It's a bigger fight for him because losing to Golovkin is step back. With Mayweather he could always use the young and inexperienced excuse. The Mayweather fight was a much bigger event in terms of the buzz surrounding it.

Comment

When you fight Floyd you know your gonna be out boxed but should make it to round 12. It's been a long time since I've seen Floyd really beat someone up.

GGG could put you out at any second...

Comment

of course its bigger . mayweather outboxed him easily. and whatever happens in this fight thr man knows he wasnt the best or close to it. but fair play to the lad hes made a lot more money than his ability deserves hes an overachiever thanks to oscar matching him with smaller men

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          You can be seriously hurt or killed in any fight. Boxing is dangerous like that. Most of the men who've severely injured or killed another man in the ring were nobodies from nowhere who went on to accomplish nothing.

Punching people in the head is some risky sh^t to be doing. So if Canelo or GGG have a .05% chance to die in the ring on any given night its probably only getting bumped up to .051% Saturday if its not actually going down cuz of all the eyes on them & a ref being less likely to go on if one guy is getting f#cked up too much. I'd argue the risk of serious injury is likely going down in big fights for that reason.

The chances to see someone die in the ring probably go up in some club show bs 5 fights from the Main Event fight when they just are worried about not pissing off the fans so let things go to a overly conclusive ending sometimes or let the hometown guy foul with rabbit punches too much or sh^t like that.
          I get ur point but cmon u are saying there is the pretty much the same risk for your health in fighting GGG than in fighting Floyd ??? Cmooooooon

Comment

It's probably bigger for Canelo on a personal level. For ridiculous reasons only Floyd haters can dream up, Canelo pretty much gets a pass on the Floyd fight. In this one, he gets no pass.

But when the smoke clears, I think the Floyd fight will be bigger in terms of legacy defining. Floyd will rate higher than GGG historically. Not only that, he's smaller and much older than Canelo. So depending on how Canelo's career plays out. If he becomes an ATG. He'll elevate Floyd even more. If he ends up being very good, but not ATG. The Floyd fight will be used as validation to how he performed when in with a true great. Which wasn't very well.

Comment

Unless this fight sells more than 2.5 PPV it's not bigger than the Mayweather fight!

Comment

Originally posted by harwri008 View Post
                I agree. It's a bigger fight for him because losing to Golovkin is step back. With Mayweather he could always use the young and inexperienced excuse. The Mayweather fight was a much bigger event in terms of the buzz surrounding it.
                Everybody has an excuse for losing to Floyd, Floyd is like the universal guy its ok to lose to because so called fans and media will create excuses and give you a pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Shaw View Post
                  No version of Canelo beats Floyd even the current Floyd so to hell with this inexperience rubbish. Also the Floyd fight was the biggest Canelo will ever be involved in. He will realise it when his GGG fight only pulls 800k buys on PPV.
                  It sucks for boxing but I really do think the Mayweather PPV will hurt this one a lot. I just don't see how a ppv that did over 4 mil a month before will not affect this one. Not that it means much, but I work in cable and can tell you lots of people from every demographic group ordered that fight. And customers already complain about cable bills all day everyday. In my experience, I believe a lot them will not buy this fight too. But I think it still does at least a mill. If it does a lot more than that, I'll be impressed.

But back to the op, when it comes down to it no one can say Canelo is not a legend of hof for losing to Mayweather at 23, or whatever age he was. But if he loses to GGG this close to his prime, you'd have a strong case. So legacy wise, yes this is a much bigger fight.

Comment

Originally posted by THEFRESHBRAWLER View Post
                    They begged for the Floyd fight knowing he didn't have experience?you were 23 with nearly 50 professional fights. Stop the excuses. He was stronger and faster than you.
                    Punk he's not crying about the defeat! Are you ****ing stupid? Did you not read what he said? He said that even though he lost the fight he gain experienced from it. That's all he said. He's not making excuses for the loss, not crying about it either.
                    So sit your ass down boy and shut the **** up!

Comment

canelo got $10 mil vs floyd and conor got $100 mil.. hilarious.

but i agree this fight is bigger because he cant use too young excuses here. canelo is at the peak of his prime. and is also more dangerous. anybody facing ggg is gambling with life.

canelo studied the floyd schooling and implemented some of the skills afterward.

Comment

Working...
                      X