No announcement yet.

Who do you consider the Heavyweight "champion"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original zero View Post
    that's not how lineal works. if you retire, it becomes vacant. if you unretire later, a year later, a week later, it doesn't matter, it's already vacant.
    A lineal title has to be filled.

If a guy retires, yeah.

But, what Fury did wasn't really a retirement and at least one sanctioning body- the one who has decided who is lineal for decades now- still lists him as lineal.

Case closed.

Comment

Legit good f#cking question. I think its a bit of a clusterf#ck at HW right now & idk if I honestly see anyone as the clear & concise #1 guy. I think I see Joshua as the most #1 guy of the available choices.

I think Wilder has been sitting on his title & not trying to prove how good he is or isn't for the most part. And I think that Joshua W over Klitschko was a huge win for him thats better than anything any other active elite HW has done lately. If Fury was active I'd probably consider him #1, but now that he's inactive for so long & Joshua did what he did Fury will likely need to reprove himself before I could have him usurp Joshua.

And poor Parker isn't even in the equation at this point for the number 1 spot thats the one thing I am confident in.

Comment

Originally posted by koolkc107 View Post
        A lineal title has to be filled.
        and if fury ever fights again, and if it's still vacant, he can try to fill it. but you don't just become champion again because you came out of retirement. title becomes vacant upon retirement. now somebody has to fill it. you can't just give it back to fury. that's not how lineal works.

If a guy retires, yeah.

But, what Fury did wasn't really a retirement
        has he fought since announcing retirement? does he have a fight scheduled? no. he retired. he's intends to come out of retirement, but hasn't yet.

and at least one sanctioning body- the one who has decided who is lineal for decades now- still lists him as lineal.
        it's not a sanctioning body. it's a ****zine.

a ****zine that was purchased by an HBO promoter, who then changed all of the rules and **** on every tenet of the lineal championship.

the ****zine title has NOTHING to do with the lineal title anymore.

the ****zine title is simply an HBO propaganda title. with the rules adjusted and changed at will whenever it benefits HBO to do so. joshua and wilder are both with showtime, so the ****zine title remains on fury, despite him publicly announcing that he was retired, vacating all of his titles, failing a drug test, refusing further drug tests, threatening suicide, no fights scheduled and over a year and a half without fighting.

the ****zine belt is meaningless.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottWeiland View Post
          I consider the Ring belt the most important. Everything else you said is just dumb Joshua is a genuine clear number one right now ahead of Klitschko, theirs no need for Joshua to face a guy I'd consider top 4-5 to prove anything. Wilder has minimal boxing skill, poor balance and a big punch against D level scrubs that guy needs to step up a level to test himself properly before challenging the genuine champ.
          You consider Golden Boy's Ring belt to be the most prestigious. Your opinion is worthless.

Comment

and if fury ever fights again, and if it's still vacant, he can try to fill it. but you don't just become champion again because you came out of retirement. title becomes vacant upon retirement. now somebody has to fill it. you can't just give it back to fury. that's not how lineal works.

has he fought since announcing retirement? does he have a fight scheduled? no. he retired. he's intends to come out of retirement, but hasn't yet.

it's not a sanctioning body. it's a ****zine.

a ****zine that was purchased by an HBO promoter, who then changed all of the rules and **** on every tenet of the lineal championship.

the ****zine title has NOTHING to do with the lineal title anymore.

the ****zine title is simply an HBO propaganda title. with the rules adjusted and changed at will whenever it benefits HBO to do so. joshua and wilder are both with showtime, so the ****zine title remains on fury, despite him publicly announcing that he was retired, vacating all of his titles, failing a drug test, refusing further drug tests, threatening suicide, no fights scheduled and over a year and a half without fighting.

the ****zine belt is meaningless.
            Post of the day - nailed every point. People are gonna walk away with no response, because they cannot come back and argue this.

Comment

Tyson Fury because he holds the ring belt, and Rocky held the ring belt and Rocky doesn't fck around.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                I think Wilder has been sitting on his title & not trying to prove how good he is or isn't for the most part.
                Wilder flew to Moscow to face Povetkin on enemy territory when he could have very easily thrown his belt in the garbage and knocked out Charles Martin in Alabama to become a two time world heavyweight champion. Wilder getting on that plane and refusing to ditch his belt despite losing the purse bid should tell you all you need to know about Wilder's desire to face the best.

Wilder's team has tried desperately to get Parker to unify ASAP, but Bob Arum doesn't want to lose his only piece of the heavyweight title and is doing everything possible to block the Wilder/Parker unification.

Wilder has been extremely active and has knocked out respectable challenger after respectable challenger. Don't see how you can criticize him for defending against Molina when he knocked out Molina BEFORE Joshua chose to defend against Molina.

I don't see how you can criticize him for facing Duhaupas when shortly after he knocked out Duhaupas, Duhaupas knocked out Helenius, after which Duhaupas had a lengthy run in the TBRB top 10.

Szpilka was a one loss heavyweight with a recent win over Adamek for the international championship.

Is Wilder facing the very very very best (top 2-3) guys in the world? No. But he can't force those guys to face him and in the era of 4 belts and 4 mandatories, sometimes the #9 or #10 guy in the world is the best you can get to agree to face you in a voluntary.

Until Joshua beat Klitschko, Wilder clearly had the better heavyweight championship resume. Now Joshua has surpassed him by beating Klitschko and winning the unified title. But people are way too hard on Wilder and completely unfair to him. He's been active, winning by knockout, against respectable fighters. Flew to Moscow to face the #1 heavyweight in the world, who chose to cheat. Is being ducked by Parker in his quest to unify. Etc.

If Joshua and Wilder keep winning, they will fight each other. They're both with Showtime. It's inevitable. Wilder has proven he'll face anybody. So has Joshua. Let's appreciate that we have two great young charismatic heavyweight champions who want to fight each other. It's going to be great.

Comment

Originally posted by CHOWWOKKA View Post
                  Tyson Fury because he holds the ring belt, and Rocky held the ring belt and Rocky doesn't fck around.
                  had the publishing group that i own outbid oscar for ring ****zine and i decided to name myself ring champion, would your logic still apply?

i know many of us grew up respecting the ring belt. i get it. but the belt is meaningless now. the ****zine was sold. there is a giant conflict of interest. all of the respected editors quit in protest. time to move on. TBRB is the new ring.

Comment

I used to value the ring belt and it does still have some value imo but it's lost a lot. They dont follow their own rules as much anymore

Comment

had the publishing group that i own outbid oscar for ring ****zine and i decided to name myself ring champion, would your logic still apply?

i know many of us grew up respecting the ring belt. i get it. but the belt is meaningless now. the ****zine was sold. there is a giant conflict of interest. all of the respected editors quit in protest. time to move on. TBRB is the new ring.
                      ?? You're the funnest guy here.

Comment

Working...
                      X