Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will be the bigger star: Canelo or Joshua?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canelo because he has a more options.

Joshua can rematch Wlad, and needs fights with Wilder, Parker, Ortiz and Fury. He has to win them all to keep his star shining bright. After that, the well runs dry and the talent pool gets real shallow.

Canelo can fight Lemieux, Saunders, Jacobs, GGG and Charlo. He can also test the waters in the U.K. and fight Eubank Jr. or Brook. Not that he would travel overseas, because he will always be the A-side with any of those opponents, but he can string his career out longer, against title holders and decent opponents. He can also dip his toes into 168 versus Ramirez or DeGale. There are only so many decent HWs to go around but the talent will always re-stock between 154-168 for Canelo to take his pick.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
      Canelo has more options you are only looking at fighters at 160 ignoring the fact that every top fighter 2 weight classes above or below Canelo are all begging to fight him. Khan and Chavez are not in his weight classes but both were willing to move up or down just to fight him and will move weight to do it. Canelo literally has the pick of the litter to choose from at 147, 154, 160, 168. And there will ALWAYS be a new boogeyman that pops up after he beats GGG. Joshua has really 2 names Wilder and Fury once he fights both there is nothing left at Heavyweight.
      Khan?? Chavez? No, I'm talking about the kinds of opponents who excite new audiences and build one's greatness as a fighter.

The crowd of talent at MW isn't so impressive. It's the same problem that Golovkin has been facing. A lack of meaningful competition.

I don't see much opportunity for Canelo in the 147 division either. Those guys aren't going to be moving up to freaking 155, or 164.5 or whatever.

Spence might do it at some point; he's big enough. But for the most part I don't see much hot competition in Canelo's future.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Beamish View Post
        Khan?? Chavez? No, I'm talking about the kinds of opponents who excite new audiences and build one's greatness as a fighter.

The crowd of talent at MW isn't so impressive. It's the same problem that Golovkin has been facing. A lack of meaningful competition.

I don't see much opportunity for Canelo in the 147 division either. Those guys aren't going to be moving up to freaking 155, or 164.5 or whatever.

Spence might do it at some point; he's big enough. But for the most part I don't see much hot competition in Canelo's future.
        Canelo/khan drew more ppvs and generated more money then any fight last year. And Chavez fight will blow away the revenue from joshua/klitch and be this years biggest fight unless Canelo fights GGG or rematch chavez. And did you think a year earlier khan would jump up from 147 to 155 or that chavez would drop from 168 to 164? The money canelo can offer will make fights possible with big names outside his weight class. Joshua has a small pool of heavweights. Canelo has multiple deeper weight classes to pick fights from.

Comment

world wide? prob joshua.. people love an exciting heavyweight

in america canelo

Comment

Joshua and it's not even close as he is a hw (still one of the biggest titles in sport) and has cross-over appeal

Canelo isnt and doesnt

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
              Lol, he just rejected the WBC belt so he wouldn't become lil g's mandatory if he wins. That diva will NEVER step in the ring with lil g, NEVER
              The 5 de mayo belt was for mandatory status?

Not even fighting in the same divison.

Comment

Joshua is now! When has Canelo ever had the INTERNATIONAL BUZZ that Joshua has right now since after that great fight? Joshua is now the face of boxing PERIOD and he haven't even fought in the US Yet which is CRAZY if you really think about it
                Last edited by sicko; 05-03-2017, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinamita 03 View Post
                  The 5 de mayo belt was for mandatory status?

Not even fighting in the same divison.
                  think mathed is making things up again.. canelo didnt want that ****** belt, and something about respecting huichol people. idk

Comment

joshua will be. because to be a superstar you need to take hard fights, and canelo will lose again when he steps up the competition. i think he will look terrible on saturday and some of the hype will die down. he lost every round to mayweather, people seem to forget this. from where i was sitting he didnt look great against khan, and he didnt look great against lara, many thought he lost. beating the rotting, propped up old carcass of miguel cotto really isnt some superstar performance to me. sooner or later he'll have to fight someone like golovkin, jacobs, charlo and he'll get found out. theres nothing special about this guy as a fighter and he has no personality. is he really tht big a superstar stateside by the way? I mean over here in UK he could easily walk down the street and noone would recognise him so hes not really some global superstar, i have difficulties imagining he is as big a superstar as some make out on this forum....

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
                      Canelo/khan drew more ppvs and generated more money then any fight last year. And Chavez fight will blow away the revenue from joshua/klitch and be this years biggest fight unless Canelo fights GGG or rematch chavez. And did you think a year earlier khan would jump up from 147 to 155 or that chavez would drop from 168 to 164? The money canelo can offer will make fights possible with big names outside his weight class. Joshua has a small pool of heavweights. Canelo has multiple deeper weight classes to pick fights from.
                      Going back to the OP, it depends how we define "star." I don't see the Khan KO as contributing much to Canelo's legacy as a fighter. I guess they could have a rematch that makes big money (Mexico vs. UK will always make big money) but again, not sure Khan really enhances Canelo's stardom.

Outside of Golovkin, I don't see exciting opponents for Canelo unless one of the best welterweights moves all the way up to a weight that Canelo will agree to. Conceivably Brook, Spence or even Thurman. But it's not super likely. And the MW division simply lacks names like that. Lacks quality.

And I don't think Canelo will beat Golovkin if they fight. IF they fight. Which I still doubt at this point.

On the other hand, Joshua could really take off if he fights here in the States against a Wilder. I think Joshua will reinvigorate boxing for the HW division, and for boxing in general. His upside is very promising. A Wlad rematch could be big, so could a fight against Fury. Other opponents will emerge.

Comment

Working...
                      X