Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will be the bigger star: Canelo or Joshua?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who will be the bigger star: Canelo or Joshua?

AJ just pulled a 90,000 crowd vs Klitschko and is backed by all of England, while Canelo has the country of Mexico behind him.

Let's assume Canelo will go on to face Golovkin and AJ will go on to face Wilder and Fury; who will be the face of boxing in 3 years time?

Who in your view has more star potential between Canelo and Anthony Joshua?
    Canelo Alvarez
    30.43%
    Anthony Joshua
    69.57%

The media will hype Joshua more because he's black, so he'll become the bigger star.

Comment

Attendance don't mean anything, Joshua would still be great if he we're fighting just in Vegas. Look at Floyd, legendary icon... didn't need such an attendance to prove his skills.

Damn we miss Floyd...

Comment

canelo might be derailed by GGG. i don't see anyone being a treat to joshua (outside maybe wlad in a rematch)

Comment

I'm going to guess Canelo, but I would really have to see some data to know for sure. It seems that AJ gets a lot of support from a relatively small country (a lot of British stars get strong support) but Canelo's popularity spreads through Mexico and the states. The fact that Canelo's PPVs are strong sellers and 3x the cost just in the states (and free in his home country) leads me to believe he's probably the bigger star though I've got no dog in this fight (not that it should be a fight but it's bound to devolve into that on NSB).

Comment

Joshua NEEDS to fight in the US. At least for a showcase fight. That will do wonders for his cross over appeal in the US to have a fight in front of american fans and a fight that is actually aired live during the time slot that americans are used to watching boxing. Do the rounds with american media, get on ESPN ect. Then fight Wilder. Canelo is the bigger star, draws more revenue and fights in the boxing capital which is vegas. Drawing huge crowds in the UK is great and he's without a doubt a star there. But he has work to do if he wants to catch Canelo.
            Last edited by bigdunny1; 05-03-2017, 03:16 PM.

Comment

AJ already is, and he will only be getting bigger and bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirko Troll Cop View Post
                Attendance don't mean anything,
                Yea, I think the attendance is deceptive. Canelo can clearly pull huge crowds (as evidenced by over 50,000 for the virtually unknown Smith) but for a big fight I think they'd rather fill up a 20,000 capacity arena in Vegas where they can get crazy prices for tickets. Boxing seems to work like that in the US; appeal to a smaller crowd and charge more money. That's probably why PPVs are so expensive; smaller crowd but they're paying more.

I won't claim to be well-versed in this stuff though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirko Troll Cop View Post
                  Attendance don't mean anything, Joshua would still be great if he we're fighting just in Vegas. Look at Floyd, legendary icon... didn't need such an attendance to prove his skills.

Damn we miss Floyd...
                  You are pretty dumb.

Comment

AJ has got great press following and has for some time. People who I know who don't like boxing know AJ and watched the fight on saturday.

Comment

Working...
                    X