Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joshua vs Klitschko smashes PPV record - does 1.5+ million buys!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
    Ii wasn't aware of that. Thank you.
    But when I mention to my friends any boxer besides Pac. Floyd. Canelo they have no idea.

Nobody knows Crawford. Loma. Mikey Garcia.

They just don't care
    All sports are like that somewhat. How many NBA players can the average American name other than LeBron or Curry?

Comment

Originally posted by BWC View Post
      All sports are like that somewhat. How many NBA players can the average American name other than LeBron or Curry?
      Kevin Durant. James Harden. Russel Westbrook. LEBRON

Comment

At 1/3 the price of average American PPVs, divide their buy total by 3 before comparing it to American PPV revenue. 1.5M British buys is the equivalent of 500K American buys.

Comment

Originally posted by yammy25 View Post
          1.5 million ppv's in the UK only lands it around 7/8th in the all time PPV buy list.

it's absolutely considered alot in a country that only has a population of approx 66 million.

Also dont discount the amount of brits that watch that fight in bars and pubs. i reckon that fight reached 7/8% percent of the UK viewing audience.
          I asked because all this talk about boxing booming in the UK had me thinking that they would be doing like 2m or something.

I also asked cause the price is cheap over there isn't it?

Comment

I think its a pretty good number if it is accurate.. close to 30mil GBP ~ $37-38mil

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
              At 1/3 the price of average American PPVs, divide their buy total by 3 before comparing it to American PPV revenue. 1.5M British buys is the equivalent of 500K American buys.
              Not that simple.

The set price is what it is. If the price was 2/3 and not 1/3, that doesn't mean that exact amount would suddenly not buy it.

You're not factoring in what people would have been willing to pay. People wanted to see this fight, if it was set at £30, i'd say most would still have paid it but they can't just suddenly ramp up the price that much but it will gradually rise.

Also, you're not thinking about the fact UK population is about 6x smaller, so even if we're using using your simplistic style of equation then you should x6 at the end.

The ratio of population:buys using your style would be still be around 3m buys in the USA.
              Last edited by deathofaclown; 05-03-2017, 11:50 AM.

Comment

We've officially got ourselves a new cash cow in boxing!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Fantastic View Post
                  He's boring because people like their side to dominate so when they watch him, their attention span is lower. Lots of boxers do some similar moves and it's crazy how people go ape **** when someone they like does it but scream boring when it's someone it isn't.

Go back and watch heavyweight fights. Lots and lots and lots of fights have tons of hugging/clinching.

All this just tells me is that many people don't watch HW fights. They just go with word of mouth.
                  That's a limited take on whats going on with the Klitschko boredom I feel. I've probably seen 50ish+ of Klitschko fights (the ones I've missed were earlier ones pre-streaming days) & I've seen a ton of HW fights over my time watching boxing.

I think its largely due to his lack of personality & his lack of destruction in the ring for a HW. Not to say he didn't or couldn't KO lesser or even better guys in 3 or less or just eventually, but he often took the easier road to that end. Which many see as un-HW-like, or just not very exciting. Klitschko was like the Floyd Mayweather of HW's without the personality to command attention or the high level boxing skills. He was mostly just a jab jab, hold rinse & repeat type cat with a huge ring IQ in particular when compared against the rest of the division. He knew how to win fights obviously, but it often takes more that in any division to catch fire & maybe unfairly at HW even more so.

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
                    I asked because all this talk about boxing booming in the UK had me thinking that they would be doing like 2m or something.

I also asked cause the price is cheap over there isn't it?
                    The PPV is 20 quid, but our internet and TV subscriptions cost a hell of alot more than others.

I pay over 120 a month for my TV internet and sky sports subscription without even thinking of a PPV. Add another 12 a month for boxnation.

Boxing is booming... take away children and those who arent eligible to buy which based on consensus study is about 16 million under the age of 18, that means he has got a 3% buy rate for the whole country.

That's a damn good figure to be proud of.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                      That's a limited take on whats going on with the Klitschko boredom I feel. I've probably seen 50ish+ of Klitschko fights (the ones I've missed were earlier ones pre-streaming days) & I've seen a ton of HW fights over my time watching boxing.

I think its largely due to his lack of personality & his lack of destruction in the ring for a HW. Not to say he didn't or couldn't KO lesser or even better guys in 3 or less or just eventually, but he often took the easier road to that end. Which many see as un-HW-like, or just not very exciting. Klitschko was like the Floyd Mayweather of HW's without the personality to command attention or the high level boxing skills. He was mostly just a jab jab, hold rinse & repeat type cat with a huge ring IQ in particular when compared against the rest of the division. He knew how to win fights obviously, but it often takes more that in any division to catch fire & maybe unfairly at HW even more so.
                      Limited? Lol!!! I think it's the other way around dude. I pay attention to the worldwide part of the sport. Many only put into boxers they like or the color/flag mentality.

Lack of personality? So what?!?! He's professional about his sport. Not everyone is going to be all loud and shit.
                      His lack of destruction for a HW?!?! LOL again! He's knocked out most of his opponents with over 75% KO ratio. How the hell is that lack of destruction?

Jab jab hold? Hello Andre Ward! That goes back to my first comment. People call that crafty when Ward/Hopkins do it but when Wlad does it, it's boring. If Wlad was so boring, this fight wouldn't of sold the way it should of, Wlad wouldn't be popular in Germany(hey!! it's another country) and many other things. Cut the bullshit hating. You haven't seen 50ish Klitschko fights either so quit lying.

Comment

Working...
                      X