Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I understand why Joe Calzaghe is still mocked.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by revelated View Post
    Agree with everything EXCEPT putting Calslappy ahead of Morales. I'm sorry, I can't abide by that at all.
    He's not ahead. I put them in the same tier. I said in no order.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockybigblower View Post
      And no dela hoya?
      Etc;

He falls in that third category with those guys. There's plenty of them. James Toney too and he'd probably be the best of that category.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary View Post
        I thought he had one of the more spectatorfriendly style, super high intensity, output and tenacity. He was something different. He should have taken out Kelly Pavlik and Carl Froch before retiring, it was a little anticlimactic when he retired, but it probably was a good time for him to do it.
        To some degree I appreciated it, his style just didn't make headlines or had people standing. No one can say he wasn't successful. When I think of boxing he doesn't come to mind at all. Joe truly was a light heavyweight. Guys like the underappreciated Micheal Spinks or Micheal Moorer would have harmed him. Spinks only loss was to Tyson and he beat ATG Holmes twice. He cleaned out the light heavy division and people forget about him. Spinks could box and he could knock people out. Now there's the man who doesn't get any credit and he's American.

Comment

Joe was a great fighter. But the following quotes sum up his career:

1999: "Be honest, Roy Jones is a good fighter. But I'm not chasing him as I don't want tough fights, I just want to be well paid"

2003: "I think I could give Roy a great fight. Maybe his greatest fight. But I'd want the "Crown Jewels" due to the element of risk involved"

2007: "I have no interest anymore in Roy Jones and no interest in Antonio Tarver. Jones is washed up and Tarver was never that good anyway. He just caught Jones when Jones was shot and Johnson did the same"

2008: "Roy's had 3 great wins and is now back to his best"

2008: I knew when I returned home that people weren't going to give me the credit I deserved for beating Jones"

2008: "Pavlik's done nothing to warrant a fight with me. Also, we tried to fight him in 2006 after I beat Lacy, but he wasn't interested"

2008: "Dawson's done nothing to warrant a fight with me. He doesn't excite me"

If you put the above quotes into context, you can see a very clear picture.

Comment

Originally posted by chirorickyp View Post
            To some degree I appreciated it, his style just didn't make headlines or had people standing. No one can say he wasn't successful. When I think of boxing he doesn't come to mind at all. Joe truly was a light heavyweight. Guys like the underappreciated Micheal Spinks or Micheal Moorer would have harmed him. Spinks only loss was to Tyson and he beat ATG Holmes twice. He cleaned out the light heavy division and people forget about him. Spinks could box and he could knock people out. Now there's the man who doesn't get any credit and he's American.
            Joe wasn't a light heavyweight, only in his last two fights. He was truly a SMW, with 21 titledefences - nothing to sniff at.

Comment

Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
              Joe was a great fighter. But the following quotes sum up his career:

1999: "Be honest, Roy Jones is a good fighter. But I'm not chasing him as I don't want tough fights, I just want to be well paid"

2003: "I think I could give Roy a great fight. Maybe his greatest fight. But I'd want the "Crown Jewels" due to the element of risk involved"

2007: "I have no interest anymore in Roy Jones and no interest in Antonio Tarver. Jones is washed up and Tarver was never that good anyway. He just caught Jones when Jones was shot and Johnson did the same"

2008: "Roy's had 3 great wins and is now back to his best"

2008: I knew when I returned home that people weren't going to give me the credit I deserved for beating Jones"

2008: "Pavlik's done nothing to warrant a fight with me. Also, we tried to fight him in 2006 after I beat Lacy, but he wasn't interested"

2008: "Dawson's done nothing to warrant a fight with me. He doesn't excite me"

If you put the above quotes into context, you can see a very clear picture.
              Sources for these quotes?

Comment

Funny people mentioning Jones age, they were only a couple of years age difference lol. Stop trying to discredit Joe's win.

Comment

Originally posted by Scholar View Post
                  Joe Calzaghe is the greatest of his generation and pisses all over the fabricated ducker Floyd Mayweather, Jr. Deep down they know this. That is why they try to discredit him at every opportunity. Having a white European be THE man doesn't suit the agenda.
                  American. Fan of Joe Calzaghe.

Not one boring round from Joe. Not a single boring round. As soon as the bell rings, every opponent is walking into a nearly tireless and relentless Joe Calzaghe.

The day I had to remove him from my sig....yeah, sad say. His best fight was with Mikkel Kessler. Classic brawl.

Comment

Originally posted by b00g13man View Post
                    He's the definition of a fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by IconBoy View Post
                      Funny people mentioning Jones age, they were only a couple of years age difference lol. Stop trying to discredit Joe's win.
                      Jones had been KO'd twice before The Welsh Rabbit found the balls to fight him

Comment

Working...
                      X