Jack Dempsey vs Today's Heavyweights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
    Just stop.

Carl walking around at that weight is fat and out of shape.

Jack was in peak condition weighing just under 200 pounds.

You don't know anything.

You think Jack didn't also walk around above 200 pounds when he wasn't fighting?

"Froch is basically the modern Dempsey" ?

What the hell has happened to this forum?

And to claim Carl Froch is fat and out of shape when not preparing for a match is fookin stupid.

You're a joke dude.

Comment

Originally posted by //// View Post
      Huck 210

Dempsey 187 (vs willard)
      Kovalev 188
      Hopkins 182
      Pascal 185

On par with modern LHWs.

Perhaps as he aged he would have stopped cutting and fought at cruiser.

Not a chance of heavy.

Often wish we would drop division names and jsut call them by their numbers, if nothing else then to stop these marciano/dempsey/louis VS klitschko/valuev/lewis type threads.

HW division was a completely different division back then. guys like willard were freaks, not the norm.
      In a time machine fight, he'd have had a chance of beating some of today's HW's.

Nobody could say what would have happened if he'd have been born in the 80's and been active today. There's too many variables. But he was in peak condition just below 200 pounds. I doubt you'd have seen the best of him had he have had to dehydrate down to 175.

Huck could slim down, and again, Lebedev used to be a CW.

CW is obviously anything between 175-200, so there's no reason to think that Jack wouldn't have been a CW.

Obviously I can't prove it, but I'd bet that Jack's percentage of body fat was lower than the guys who you've listed, with their fight night weight after rehydrating.

Comment

Ha!

Why?

Have the laws of physics changed?

How many of today's top 15 HW's are as fast as what Jack was
        ?
        That would be a big ZERO

Comment

Jack Dempsey, the man often considered one of the hardest hitters of all time. The man who is often considered one of the toughest Heavyweights of all time. The man who demolished a oger 100 lbs heavier and 6 inches taller.

Dempsey would easy compete in the top 5

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
            Do you know why people cut weight in sports?

Froch is almost completely identical to Dempsey, height-weight. Even in style. Albeit Froch is there to be hit and isn't as refined as Dempsey but they are in all actuality quite similar.

Froch being 6'1", 75in reach, and weighing damn near the same if not, then more than Dempsey could compete at HW just like Dempsey. But he does not.

Why is that?
            Stop with the madness.

Froch's peak weight was at SMW, weighing around 175 on fight night.

Jack's peak weight was between 185-195.

Not only was Jack naturally bigger, he was also faster and hit a lot harder.

Froch wasn't big enough, fast enough, or powerful enough, to fight at the higher weights.

Comment

Stop with the madness.

Froch's peak weight was at SMW, weighing around 175 on fight night.

Not only was Jack naturally bigger, he was also faster and hit a lot harder.

Froch wasn't big enough, fast enough, or powerful enough to fight at the higher weights.
              Why do people cut weight in sports?

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
                I know you're slow, so I'll explain it to you: People are faster today than they were in Dempsey's time.
                The only person here who's slow, is YOU!

Look at the guys who you've favoured over Jack, just on the grounds that they were bigger, whilst completely IGNORING every other factor.

Clueless.

Name me today's top 15 HW's, and tell me which of them were faster than Jack.

Comment

That looked like this. Come fight night.

**** out of here. He cut maybe 6-8lbs between chilling and actual fighting. He basically fought where he walks around.

You're a clown.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
                    And to claim Carl Froch is fat and out of shape when not preparing for a match is fookin stupid.

You're a joke dude.
                    You're one of the biggest ****ing jokes here.

Seriously, your posts are cringeworthy.

Of course Carl is out of fighting shape, walking around at over 200 pounds you fool

AGAIN:

That means he was roughly 10-20 pounds HEAVIER than what Carl was on fight night.

He was also: stronger, faster, more powerful, and he had a COMPLETELEY DIFFERENT style.

Stop digging a bigger hole for yourself.

Their styles are nothing alike, and to say Carl is the modern day Dempsey, is probably the stupidest thing I've ever read on here since being a member.

Comment

Originally posted by Kigali View Post
                      That would be a big ZERO
                      I'll await his list.

Comment

Working...
                      X