Collapse
No announcement yet.

How good was Edwin Valero?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He was a good fighter but not really proven. Today he is hugely overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexican_Puppet View Post
      When?

Valero was a very good fighter but had bad defense and his chin never was tested. And never fought with a A Level Fighter.

But he was too better than guys like Matthysse, Maidana, Provodnikov, Broker, etc.
      In the Pac fight, when Oscar didn't like to train no more. He gave him a black eye and predicted Pac would win.

Comment

Exceptionally good and dangerous, Valero was a fascinating fighter. It always irritates the sht outa me when a fukin noob labels him as a one dimensional slugger. He was far above and beyond that. He aint no bumass mindless slugger like Omar figeuroa or Darchinyan. Valero knew how to box but chose to go for first round KOs with a promise of receiving 100k bonus from his Japanese promoter at the time.

Valero was a bad mutha****a period.
        VAlero would have murdered Pacman.

Valero was alive he would have fought Marquez for all the marbles.

Comment

Originally posted by Kigali View Post

F8ck outta' here.
          robert guerrero and luis collazo hurt thurman...
          danny garcia got schooled by mauricio herrera and lamont peterson
          porter almost lost to old as f julio diaz

not only are they mediocre....they're not that big, which is an equalizer when moving up in weight...im not even saying valero would overcome them btw.....but he would easily be competitive. Thats how ****ty this generation of boxing is.

Comment

Originally posted by yngwie View Post
            It looks like no one here actually saw him fight.
            Valero was really good, started his career with 18 ko's in the first round, was a southpaw with great speed, explosiveness and power, awesome cordination and underrated skill, his punch selection was very good too.
            He showed his boxing skill against DeMarco and for the one saying that isn't much because Broner did it better, well, Broner at that time had aroun at 90% ko ratio and was one of the biggest 130's i've seen, after that fight Broner was touted to be the next Mayweather.
            DeMarco isn't no bum either, he beat Linares and John Molina Jr., both by ko and Molina in one round.
            Valero is a mistery, the talent was there, sure he could have been more polished, but he was only starting his career in USA, so who knows how he could have handled himself with the head injuries and that stuff (he suffered head injuries in a motorcycle accident that stopped him to get a license in USA).
            I wasn't trying to say Demarco is some bum and Broner did it better. I was more alluding to the fact that with it being so early in his career it's hard to know how far he would have made it. I used Broner as an example not to try and put down Valero or Demarco, but as proof that some boxers look good early in their career but can't hold it together and bring it to the next level. However that might have been a bad example since Broner was a weight bully at that point in his career.

I loved Valero personally but he's one of those boxers who has become almost a legendary myth to some people on here. He had tools no question. And if he could have gotten with a trainer who could polish him up more he possibly could have been something really special. But like you said he was a mystery. He'll always be a what could have been.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary View Post
              In the Pac fight, when Oscar didn't like to train no more. He gave him a black eye and predicted Pac would win.
              Precisely... Oscar in that moment was not more of the 25% of what he was in his prime.

That's not a good parameter, is like the actual Mosley or something like.

Comment

There's no way of knowing how good he was, because of his competition. However, we can conclude that he was a very good fighter based on his accomplishments and the eye ball test alone.

I don't know if he would've ever been #1 p4p, but I think he would have brought a lot of excitement to the elite level, and would have at the very least held his own with them.

Comment

Valero was really good, started his career with 18 ko's in the first round, was a southpaw with great speed, explosiveness and power, awesome cordination and underrated skill, his punch selection was very good too.
                  He showed his boxing skill against DeMarco and for the one saying that isn't much because Broner did it better, well, Broner at that time had aroun at 90% ko ratio and was one of the biggest 130's i've seen, after that fight Broner was touted to be the next Mayweather.
                  DeMarco isn't no bum either, he beat Linares and John Molina Jr., both by ko and Molina in one round.
                  Valero is a mistery, the talent was there, sure he could have been more polished, but he was only starting his career in USA, so who knows how he could have handled himself with the head injuries and that stuff (he suffered head injuries in a motorcycle accident that stopped him to get a license in USA).

Broner always was a **** without footwork but in 130-135 pounds he was stupidly big.

He dehydrated in 150 pounds, or more.

Comment

Originally posted by Vegemil View Post
                    With an undefeated record all knockouts you can't really gauge his skill from his level of opposition. However, I heard that he dominated legendary fighters like De La Hoya in sparring so I have to assume he was the real deal. Anybody have more information?
                    Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
                    he was an extremely good fighter. It is my opinion that he would have been a future p4p number 1.
                    i agree.

he was beatin on erik morales and oscar before pacquiao was.

he handled de marco in much more dominant fashion than broner did..

he was a legend in the making and a monster in the flesh.

latin aaron pryor from the southpaw stance with much better chin, power, and from a bigger frame and minus the cocaine water.
                    Last edited by SterlingStained; 12-30-2016, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X