Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward-Sergey Kovalev PPV Show Barely Cracked 160K Buys

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am not surprised. Kovalev especially and even Ward never really reached mainstream success. It is what it is.

Eastern Europeans fighting over here can fill some seats, but will never be PPV stars. Ward is too low key to become one. Lets face it, to become a mainstream star in the US, you need not only talent, but you also need a gimmick. You need that over the top personality.

Comment

• Originally posted by Progrssive_Jedi View Post
      Oh, wait. That's Kov and Ward.

I mean, duh. This fight wasn't gonna sell. Boxing fans don't get excited by guys whose only goal is to old on to his opponent until he lands enough pot jabs that American judges can give him a W
      so what was the excuse for the bleeder fest of ggg and lemuiex?

Comment

• Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame View Post
        Boxers these days don't do proper media runs and that's partially why they can't transcend the sport. Who was the last Boxer on Jimmy Kimmel or Conan?.

Road to Kovalev/Ward & Hey Harold can only take you so far.

BWaHaahahaHA!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
          Maybe Jay-Z could throw out a tweet or make an appearance for the rematch?

Jesus Christ where the fck have you been?!

Jay-z is a 55 yr old has-been that hasn't had a buzz in over a decade

His appearance wouldn't do shi t!

Comment

• Realest post in this thread:

Ward vs GGG wouldn't do shi t either.

Comment

• I'm not a star...

Comment

• Originally posted by Illmatic94 View Post
                no, pac showed up to make excuses ..the reason i say the fight was a dud was because it lacked "action", and that blame goes more on the guy who was advertised as the busier puncher..floyd simply performed the way he always does. pac tried to box and win on points that's what ruined that fight..then the avalanche of excuses afterwards.
                when these guys are charging ticket prices up the ass and $100 ppv, these fighters best put on a show and fight, I don't care if its pac, may or otherwise. and it lacked action because it was the usual "safety-first" tactics from may, he was too scared to fight so he clinched and ran.

now boxing suffers because of the chilling effect of the may/pac snooze fest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
                  I think its safe to say that UFC has officially surpassed Boxing.

UFC 205 just did 1.6million buys.
                  UFC does nowhere near that number without a megastar like McGregor headlining. Even Rousey only reached 1m+ buys for the first time in her last fight, ironically the one that she finally lost.

Without megastars like Conor and Ronda, boxing and UFC are pretty much neck and neck.

Comment

• Originally posted by KLockard23 View Post
                    UFC does nowhere near that number without a megastar like McGregor headlining. Even Rousey only reached 1m+ buys for the first time in her last fight, ironically the one that she finally lost.

Without megastars like Conor and Ronda, boxing and UFC are pretty much neck and neck.
                    The point is ufc has those megastars

They talk the talk and are entertaining fighters

We have running cowards that nobody wants to watch

Comment

• Originally posted by MantisToboggan View Post
                      Pump on your breaks there speedy gonzalez. 220k aint much to brag about either ROFL
                      he's never done any lower than 300K, he did somewhere between 450K-600K against Khan because the Indian/Pakistan/Muslim community also bought it, but Canelo can fight 50 year old and still sell 300K, he did sell 900K against Cotto, and him and Mayweather had the third highest selling fight

Comment

Working...
                      X