Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Arum 'Very Pleased' With PPV Buys: Why Do We Need HBO PPV?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by megas30 View Post
    Simple answer: a 10 point must system. Fights are won by rounds not overall output. One guy throw all his punches in 5 rounds and the other in 7 rounds, who you think will win? Hard to imagine that people who say they follow boxing have difficulty understanding this. Well, emotion does get in the way of logic sometimes.
    Nah, I get that. Like I said I haven't seen that fight for like literally ten years. But man those are pretty staggering punch stats deficits for a winner. And even the guy who has been getting paid to score fights longer than many of us have been alive had it 6 rounds to 4 for Castillo -- not to mention a 10-8 round mixed in that had him having it 115-111. But yeah I know y'all think Lederman is biased doe.

Comment

Originally posted by Kigali View Post
      ...or get paid at all.

He didn't see a nickel from the Cotto fight per VisionQuest.
      Pac fighting for free now, LMAO.

Comment

Originally posted by BM dnobagaV View Post
        You must've not seen the score board right underneath the punch stats...
        Glasses aren't that pricey
        Official scoreboard or just Ledderman's unofficial card? Learn sport before you argue with ppl.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMan View Post
          Give me a guess. Do you think he's inflating the numbers or deflating them so he can screw Pac over and doesn't have to pay him anymore? Which one do you prefer?
          My guess is he's inflating the numbers so they don't look quite as bad.

But he obviously isn't going to inflate them to something as unbelievable as 600,000+. Especially since that is when Pac's incentives kick in and he would have to be paid more money.

Comment

From Rafael:

Arum said he did not have precise numbers yet for the Pacquiao-Vargas pay-per-view sales because "one thing we can't do is get a handle on all the numbers as quickly as HBO can. They have that down pat, but we'll learn. That said, the numbers are still coming in and we're pleased. We had a good show, we put on some entertaining fights, and we made money, the fighters made money, so that's good."
            During the lead-up to the fight, which took place at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, Arum said they needed to do about 180,000 pay-per-view buys to break even.
            http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/i...re-300000-buys

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
              I just want to know what the real numbers are, from an unbiased source.
              As I'm sure everybody does, but we'll probably never know what the real numbers are.

It's hard enough getting real numbers for HBO and SHO events, much less a Top Rank show.

I'm very skeptical of the 300k number, but if the break-even point was just 180k, then they could've made money on this regardless of the actual number.

In a crowded PPV month with no HBO backing, that would be impressive.

Now we'll see how Ward-Kovalev does, and they have their work cut out for them, because it's a crowded PPV month...

11/5 - Pacquiao-Vargas
              11/12 - UFC: McGregor-Alvarez
              11/19 - Ward-Kovalev
              11/20 - WWE Survivor Series: Lesnar-Goldberg

Comment

#Glased

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
                  #Glased
                  Pacquiao fans think Glaser is a reliable source, don't they?

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
                    #Glased
                    Glaser has spoken.

Comment

Originally posted by davef View Post
                      haha i need to look this sh't up on youtube
                      Was during the zou shiming fight. Stephen A ****ted all over Pacman Lite, who was losing, but it got to the point where he was missing the shots pacman Jr threw back in return, who tried til the end.

Comment

Working...
                      X